CASA medical delays.

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
way-out-west
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

CASA medical delays.

Postby way-out-west » Tue Oct 4 2011, 01:00

Just wondering how many pilots have had a delay in the issue/assessment of their medical. At the last moment had to pay an additional $25 to have a dispensation issued to allow continued flying.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: CASA medical delays.

Postby Pegs » Tue Oct 4 2011, 01:37

yup. Happened to me, and I had to do a check flight with a CFI before I could have it renewed in the end, but it took 3 months for that information to come out, until then I sat around wondering whether it had been lost in the mail or something, and calls to CASA yielded no answers, no one could tell me why it had not been processed.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Tue Oct 4 2011, 03:03

Just did mine in September class 1 & 2, I did it all within 3 weeks before falling due. Then the doc advised me to get the bloods done (due to being an old fart) so had to go away and come back another day and all still came through prior to Due date NO PROBLEM AT ALL.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Oct 4 2011, 05:16

Crusty wrote:Just did mine in September class 1 & 2, I did it all within 3 weeks before falling due. Then the doc advised me to get the bloods done (due to being an old fart) so had to go away and come back another day and all still came through prior to Due date NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

If your doctor is onto it you should receive it before your "free pass" stamp runs out. I been going to the same (slightly interesting) doc for the last few years now and all I have to do is answer the phone when his receptionist calls reminding me I have a medical in 2 weeks. He sorts out the blood appointments, hearing checks, any visual or cardio work due, and comes in very well priced (for the service). Hassle-free medicals.

And don't bother PMing me for his location...FIND YOUR OWN DOCTOR! :D
way-out-west
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby way-out-west » Tue Oct 4 2011, 19:25

Three posts and the thread has diverted. The question was how many pilots have had delays and had to pay an additional $25.
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Tue Oct 4 2011, 22:39

I always do my Class 1 2-4 weeks before renewal, never had a hold up or pay additioanal monies, processing has never caused me any delays and I have been doing them since 1991. I always pay the CA$A fee over the phone on the day of the medical so that when the DOC sends in the paper work it is processed straight away...... :cool_dc:
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Sat Oct 8 2011, 08:11

Have had mine delayed a couple of times over the last few years. Upon calling CASA to ask where my medical is, they (both times) said that it hadn't been payed for. I'm guessing the doc never sent to payment form even though I always fill it out. I just pay over then phone then and all is sorted.

Thats not so much of a worry. What upsets me is that CASA know why this medical is sitting in the tray unprocessed but they never make the effort to try to fix the problem, small though it is.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Sat Oct 8 2011, 08:11

Have had mine delayed a couple of times over the last few years. Upon calling CASA to ask where my medical is, they (both times) said that it hadn't been payed for. I'm guessing the doc never sent to payment form even though I always fill it out. I just pay over then phone then and all is sorted.

Thats not so much of a worry. What upsets me is that CASA know why this medical is sitting in the tray unprocessed but they never make the effort to try to fix the problem, small though it is.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sat Oct 8 2011, 10:29

I had my Medical not turn up 2 times before my current doctor, and both times I called them up, was polite, and they sent out another one free.
LVDT
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LVDT » Mon Nov 17 2014, 08:49

The cluster that is the "process and consideration fee" undertaking. On average over the years it only works about 50% of the time.

When you go and do your medical you have to fill in your CC details on a form for this fee (AUD 75.00) - somewhere along the line it either doesn't get sent or is lost.

When they finally process your medical after about 10 days they send you a letter and at least these days you get an email as well to say the fee has not been processed.

The letter is in a PDF form and secured so you have no option but to scan it, then fill it in manually or electronically, then fax it or snail mail it.

Nowhere does it mention that CASA actually has on "online payment" system unless it is too new for even CASA to know about it?

Why don't they tell you just to do it this way in the first place and take your receipt along with you to your Medico?

Try this page http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91493

The lack of information and/or disregard for the fact that the system is antiquated as it stands basically gives you the impression that whoever is in charge of this process essentially
"doesn't give a s#!t"

Strangely my data on the portal says the medical has been renewed!!

Return to “CASA”