Carriage of Firearms

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
Low Flyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Carriage of Firearms

Postby Low Flyer » Thu Sep 8 2011, 03:45

Hey, I'm studying up on some Air Law and was hoping someone could clarify this one for me. The CAR reg 143 has the following explanation:

143 Carriage of firearms

(1) A person, including a flight crew member, must not carry a firearm in, or have a firearm in his or her possession in, an aircraft other than an aircraft engaged in charter operations or regular public transport operations.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like it's saying that you can't carry a firearm unless it's a charter operation or regular public transport operation, which doesn't make any sense. I would think it would be the exact opposite - that you can have one for aerial work operation, but not for the charter or RPT flights.

Suggestions?
lelebebbel
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Carriage of Firearms

Postby lelebebbel » Thu Sep 8 2011, 10:33

You are reading it right. Fire arms can be carried on charter / RPT flights - obviously in accordance with DG regulations, unloaded and in the baggage compartment.
For example, Qantas policy:
7.3 Firearms
We may agree but are not obliged to carry firearms and ammunition for sporting purposes in your Checked Baggage. If we do, these must be packed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. Applications for the carriage of firearms and ammunition for sporting purposes must be submitted at least two working days prior to your scheduled departure date.

If you intend to carry a firearm for AWK purposes, such as aerial shooting, you need a special permission from CASA.

Return to “CASA”