ASIC CARD FOR FOREIGNERS

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
kiwisteve
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ASIC CARD FOR FOREIGNERS

Postby kiwisteve » Mon Mar 5 2018, 03:32

Hi I'm a Kiwi who works in Australia and am about to renew my ASIC card

I have found that since the new category system has come in, New Zealanders on the mutual recognition scheme will have to apply for a visa number as the Category A Identification.

If anyone is confused by this... the fastest way I have found (and if there is a faster way then please by all means) is to go too https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/co ... -form-vevo

Fill out the details as requested. They will then email you a Visa Grant number which you will use in the myVevo app that you will have to download onto phone or tablet (easy).

After that they send an official letter to the email of your choice (direct to Aviation ID australia (if using them) and to yourself).

After that, print the letter (not 100% necessary as they will have received your email but better safe) and print a copy of your passport in support of the visa. print category B, C and if necessary D, attach passport style photos x2, attach application and send off. The originals will be sighted by the agent at a later date.

If this helps anyone having issue with the new style then awesome..

Chur
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: ASIC CARD FOR FOREIGNERS

Postby Helicoil » Mon Mar 5 2018, 04:13

I've just gone through the process of renewing my ASIC as well. I took a different step and made a phone call and they gave me the VGN over the phone which I then used in the VEVO system. It was pretty painless, especially as I used the call-back feature they offer.

The visa is automatically granted to Kiwi passport holders on entry to the country. Would i be right in thinking that Kiwis looking to gain a first ASIC without ever having been to Australia might find themselves out of luck?
kiwisteve
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby kiwisteve » Tue Mar 6 2018, 08:20

Thats awesome, I tried to ring on a weekend so I guess I was never going to be on a winner there.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Mar 7 2018, 09:04

Unsure about the new system and visa vs Kiwis, but with lack of most Australian docs except bank statement, I was able to use foreign PHOTO Id pilot licence as for the secondary or tertiary docs group.

Not looking forward to pay this racket once I need to do something with CASA licensing. Raises bile just thinking of the headbanging stupidity and grief and needless cost. Coincidentally, same time wasting career blocking s#!t delays, just elsewhere, Europe. Since conversions need to be approved and all that jazz.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Mon Jan 4 2021, 07:32

Have any kiwis out there found a way to renew their Australian ASIC cards when out of the country? The current requirement is to provide a visa entitlement check, however if you're offshore you effectively lose your visa until you re-enter the country... :roll:
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Mon Jan 4 2021, 08:31

I asked CASA this a while ago now and got this:
I can advise that I can apply for an exemption for your Category A document if you are OFFSHORE. If this exemption is granted, this exemption would enable us to proceed with your application and once your ASIC was approved you would need to be in Australia to collect your ASIC in a face to face interview.
They told me it would take up to 30 days.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Mon Jan 4 2021, 08:46

nuggs wrote:I asked CASA this a while ago now and got this:
I can advise that I can apply for an exemption for your Category A document if you are OFFSHORE. If this exemption is granted, this exemption would enable us to proceed with your application and once your ASIC was approved you would need to be in Australia to collect your ASIC in a face to face interview.
They told me it would take up to 30 days.

Thanks Nuggs, any further details on this application process?
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Mon Jan 4 2021, 10:45

I didn't take it any further from there as i was going to be in Aus before 30 days anyway.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Tue Jan 5 2021, 07:17

I spoke to CASA this morning and found out they no longer handle ASIC card processing, and cannot provide an exemption for the Category A document requirement. Aviation ID Australia have advised they can move forward with the background check, which allows the ASIC to be finalised once arriving back :?

Return to “CASA”