Rule changes

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Rule changes

Postby hand in pants » Wed Apr 13 2016, 23:15

I see that the transport industry had a huge new set of rules come out which threatened the viability of a large part of their industry, namely owner drivers. They went to the media, they went to the public and got to the prime minister and guess what is about to happen? The pm has said, cancel the new law. Still has to happen, and knowing the drop kick pm, it may not, but they got action, quick decisive action.

We on the other hand went to the people who changed the rules and carefully explained the problems, faults and the fact that it was unfair and unworkable, and what did we get, years of run around, committees, promises, forums and minor changes that didn't effect anything and a general "learn to live with it" attitude.

I think we weren't aggressive enough. Understatement if there ever was one.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
County
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Rule changes

Postby County » Thu Apr 14 2016, 02:01

Agree with everything in your comments HIP
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Apr 14 2016, 05:11

Hear hear.. Behind you 100% HIP. This is exactly the course of action that yields results. Noisy, public and confronting for the travelling public.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Apr 14 2016, 05:43

It is hard to compare transport companies closing down vs truck drivers being under paid with the Part 61 issues. The public don't really understand how we pay for road transport, or road safety.

We could argue that the increased P61 costs will also close aviation companies, but all CASA has to do is tell the public that it is all safety related. Even the left leaning ABC who loves a good LNP bash, would agree that more training and currency may have kept some of their people alive.

The public are naturally wary of air travel, we don't need to upset them with industry infighting. Why do you think that Qantas and Virgin haven't gone public with the increased costs! Smaller Regionals are threatening to close routes due to increased costs, especially the new fatigue rules.

We are not the only segment of the industry struggling, although we do look like having the greatest proportional cost increase, but we now have an open communication with CASA and would prefer to go down that path at this stage.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
frisbee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby frisbee » Thu Apr 14 2016, 06:54

As someone who grew up in the owner-driver transport industry, unfortunately I don't think the woes of the aviation community quite have the same ability to pull on the general populations (and politicians) heartstrings like the "Aussie battler truckie, doing his best to make a living". It's also easier for people to relate a (in some cases, alleged) 400% increase in transport costs to the price they pay in the supermarket, rather than a bungled legislation change that is complex and hard for those in the industry to get their heads around, let alone the general public!

I'm sure if CASA woke up one day and said they (and they alone) were going to set extortionist minimum pricing for all sectors of aviation (unless you're a big company and they already have some fingers in your pies) there'd be an equivalent uproar (at least I'd hope there would be).

At the end of the day, like CY said, our regulator is now listening and the communication channels are having an impact, albeit what feels to be a slow one at times.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Apr 14 2016, 08:55

The regulator is listening, I'm not sue about that, what's changed, bugger all that I can see. Just more changes that make no difference. I really think that the clowns who wrote this new rubbish must all be sitting in a room together laughing their guts out at us. We've just copped it on the chin and they are getting their way. They don't care about aviation safety, the closest they've ever come to flying is back in first class thanks to the tax payer.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
frisbee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby frisbee » Thu Apr 14 2016, 09:28

I'd like to believe that they haven't put all this effort into forming the committes/taskforces/meetings etc to just ignore any input and throw it away - it'd be like spending a quarter billion dollars and several years into a pipeline project and then never putting water through it, and we know the gov't isn't that moronic...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/750-m ... 1nfmz.html

Oh sh*t. Maybe we are screwed.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Apr 14 2016, 09:33

I've been around for a while and had three careers. I've worked for big multi-nationals, myself and also government (regional council). One thing I have found almost without exception, the bigger the operation, the bigger the waste. So on that basis frisbee you're probably right.
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby up-into-the-air » Fri Jun 3 2016, 00:41

Following the around 400 people who went to Tamworth on 6th May 2016 and delivered a clear message to DPM Barnaby Joyce and Minister Chester.

At the meeting, the message was clear that there must be proper change to regulations that are clear, not prescriptive.

May 6th 2016 Tamworth meeting summary [http://vocasupport.com/us-fars/]

Sandy Reith has launched a petition on:

The Parliament of Australia : Save Australia's General Aviation from bureaucratic disaster.
[https://www.change.org/p/the-parliament-of-australia-save-australia-s-general-aviation-from-bureaucratic-disaster]

Full details:

Sign the petition and support GA and #ozaviation

[http://vocasupport.com/sign-the-petition-on-change-org/]
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby up-into-the-air » Sat Jul 2 2016, 02:46

The current Australian Flying article follows a serious challenge by AOPA Australia of regulator #casa:

http://vocasupport.com/data-manipulation-by-casa/
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby up-into-the-air » Tue Aug 2 2016, 05:16

up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Rule changes/ #casa actions

Postby up-into-the-air » Fri Aug 5 2016, 06:05

I looked at two reviews of the #casa performance today, which as we all know are less than "glowing":

http://vocasupport.com/review-of-skidmore-in-past-18-months-as-das-fail/

http://vocasupport.com/update-casa-10-commandments/

Return to “CASA”