Fire Season pay rates

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Fire Season pay rates

Postby Heliduck » Sun Feb 23 2003, 13:38

I've dragged this thread out of the past to see if someone can enlighten me with some up to date figures for a B206/AS350 contract pilot on the fires for the 09-10 season? I can't imagine they've gone up much from the previous posts in just 18 months, but I'm sure hoping they haven't gone down!!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Ian Batton
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ian Batton » Sun Feb 23 2003, 19:02

Rates do go up, but we always have new pilots trying to break into the fire side of flying and to get a start they work for less because they have little to no fire experience. (did not say anything wrong with that, thats life)

rates offered to me have been, for B206 to AS350.
$300.00 a day plus GST.
$350.00 a day plus GST.
$400.00 a day plus GST.
$400.00 a day plus $20.00 per revenue hr flown plus GST.
$375.00 a day plus $50.00 per hr flown after the first 5 hrs flown plus GST.
$500.00 a day plus GST.
$500.00 a day plus $50.00 per hr over 4 hrs plus GST.

and i am sure there are lots of others getting more than the above.

now some companies fly more than others, and some pilots get tasked more than others.

I sometimes have a choice of who i work for and other times i don't.

I supply,
1 x Helmet $3000.00
2 x Sisley flight suits $1200.00
1 x 296 gps with all the DSE helipads in it, $1400.00 (priceless)
maps ERSA HUET medical D/goods and so on. that all cost me plenty. so i don't work for $350.00 a day, but i did once.

Why am i posting this, because if your new to it, you might get offered $200.00 a day and think thats good, when it ain't, and don't forget all the other things that are apart of it, like your gear.

When i have a fire contract, i will look for the best Pilots not the cheapest, as in 5 years time when its up for grabs again, i want the DSE to want me because of the service given not the services offered, and from that I just might get to charge more, but we will have to wait and see. Hope i am not sounding full of my self like i get told i do! just adding to the discussion.
Now where's my beer
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sun Feb 23 2003, 21:36

That's excellent info Ian, exactly what I was after thanks. The reason I asked the question was to avoid the very scenario you described of accepting a low rate through ignorance of the market rate. I have fire experience here in Canada so I don't want to sell myself short when I come home. All that is missing now is that elusive job offer, anyone??

P.S. - Dear Boss/Obiwon/Guru/Moderator,
Any estimate on the website clock being reset? It doesn't take much to confuse a pilot you know?!?!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Mon Feb 24 2003, 03:02

Heliduck wrote:
P.S. - Dear Boss/Obiwon/Guru/Moderator,
Any estimate on the website clock being reset? It doesn't take much to confuse a pilot you know?!?!

Nope, I don't have shell access so am at the mercy of others who seem to be absent. The shiny new 'slapper server is online, just a few tweaks and it's good to go.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Mon Feb 24 2003, 03:50

One thing to note : Depending on how much you plan on earning in the financial year it's not always necessary to charge GST.

You only charge GST if you are registered for GST with the ATO, not just because you have an ABN.

You can have an ABN and not be registered for GST, this means you don't, and can't, charge GST. I believe you have to earn more than $75,000 before you MUST be registered for GST, otherwise it's your choice.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Mon Feb 24 2003, 03:51

One thing to note : Depending on how much you plan on earning in the financial year it's not always necessary to charge GST.

You only charge GST if you are registered for GST with the ATO, not just because you have an ABN.

You can have an ABN and not be registered for GST, this means you don't, and can't, charge GST. I believe you have to earn more than $75,000 before you MUST be registered for GST, otherwise it's your choice.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Mon Feb 24 2003, 09:43

Good point Capt, but I'm going to be optimistic & plan to earn more than the minimum!

helothere - Thanks for that info & I look forward to the new site.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
cat herder
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Fire Season pay rates

Postby cat herder » Tue Sep 4 2007, 12:46

Well it's that time of the year again and the fire season will soon be upon us.
It may have already kicked off with fires in the Tenterfield area.
Can anyone shed some light on casual contract rates for light and medium drivers for the upcoming season.
Their seems to have been a bit of movement in general pay rates over the last 12 months for experienced drivers.
Would $400-500 per day plus $50 per flying hour still be about right or has it gone up?
Accelerometer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Day Rates

Postby Accelerometer » Tue Sep 4 2007, 21:52

For flying a twin on the fires....$650 per day, with $75 per revenue hour above four hours (or part thereof) flying. CAPPED at $1000 per day..
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Wed Sep 5 2007, 21:48

What would a single engine pilot be on? say flying a B206L or AS350 Etc.
Accelerometer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Singles?

Postby Accelerometer » Wed Sep 5 2007, 22:47

I'd charge $500 a day, plus $50 per hour above four revenue hours (or part thereof). So, on a good day, you can get $800.

Fires are not easy whether it is air attack or bombing from a belly tank or 100-200' longline. You should be paid commensurate with the service and skill you provide.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Sep 7 2007, 02:52

GST included??????????????????

Have you got your own workers comp and an ABN/ACN?????????????????
Accelerometer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

GST and Workers Comp

Postby Accelerometer » Fri Sep 7 2007, 11:24

Working as a contractor, operators may/will expect you to organise your own workers compensation and pay your own superannuation (if you choose to run super). I always ADD GST to any invoice I send a company, but make it very clear at the start that I will do this.

I have an ABN, but my accountant looks after everything on a monthly basis to make sure i'm paying the right tax and lodging the correct forms to the ATO...

Working as a part-timer or casual is a little different. Companies generally will pay your tax and workers comp, and are obliged to pay super (In Australia anyway). No need to supply and ABN just your Tax File Number...
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Jan 18 2008, 22:18

A bit of info from my experience -
ABN - I have one & charge GST. It also allows me to claim back the GST I spend on work related expenses each quarter.
ACN - I don't have one, but I'll look into when I come home to Australia after this season as an accountant told me that once your income exceeds $70000/annum you're better off tax wise as a company.
Income protection insurance - If you don't have at least 12 months financial records as a contractor GOOD LUCK!!! AFAP might be your only option after that.
Workers compensation - a contract pilot who only supplies his skill & personal flight gear as his/her service to a company does not qualify with work cover for their own workers compensation policy. To qualify for a Work cover policy you need to also be supplying a significant asset like a helicopter or ground rig for example. Work cover can sell you a policy for approx. $700/yr, but the work cover representative I dealt with explained to me that he was reluctant to sell me something I couldn't use, & in no uncertain terms explained that should a claim be lodged by me for an injury recieved at work then Work cover would pursue the company I was contracting to for payment. The company I was contracting to at the time was adamant that they were not responsible for including me on there policy, & the Work cover representative told me that it didn't matter what they said, he would pursue them in the case of a claim. The last thing we need after an injury is a fight over who is going to pay the bills!!!
Superannuation - It is the company's legal obligation to pay superannuation, & the few I've dealt with get around that by saying "including Superannuation" after they quote the hourly rate they'll be paying. This is legal & it is up to the contractor to deposit whatever amount they like into their superannuation fund.

Hope this info helps in the event anyone encounters any misunderstanding when signing on with a company. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination so if anyone has any ideas to increase my bottom line I'm all ears.
Biggles
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Biggles » Fri Jan 18 2008, 23:11

Heliduck

Re:ACN (Pty Ltd company) Recheck with your bean counter as personal tax rates in Australia changed as at 1 July 2007.
Also get him/her to run through Tax Office personal services legislation with you.

Biggles
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sun Dec 11 2011, 06:48

Let's drag this one out of the closet again & have another run at updating us all on contract rates. I was overseas last fire season but I'm back for this one & being a greedy capitalist pig I'm after every cent I can get, after all I provide a damn good service! A few years ago I was on $470/day + GST flying a B2, & I'm currently flying down to meet with a company & hopefully squeeze that up a little for this season. I've never done a season in NSW, how do the rates compare there?
"Plan twice...Fly once"
wocawoca
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby wocawoca » Sun Dec 11 2011, 08:01

So what happens, regarding insurance if you damage a machine on a contract ??
Mustering Guru
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mustering Guru » Sun Dec 11 2011, 10:56

Damage a machine it's the company's issue, and yours but not finically unless it's gross negligence with over loading or something else stupid and not in the Flight Manual that you have not complied with.

The rates are down that I see here.

Bell Med $700 AUD per day not including per deum. On this rate I go for no hourly just a day rate. If you end up on a campaign fire sometimes a hourly works better.

I can't speak for the rest as I am not flying them.
Crusty
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Crusty » Sun Dec 11 2011, 11:35

08/09 and 09/2010 season, fires, incendiaries or floods flying a jetty $450 per day (plus $50 for an AS350) includes first 2 hrs and then $75 p/h thereafter, all plus GST, supplying all the pesonal PPE as usual including satphone etc. due for an increase I would think if there were any fires, or floods that needed a single.
Sheeit a bloke will have to get a normal job if something does not change with the weather.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Dec 11 2011, 20:03

Soon as it dries out and it's school holidays, those poor stressed out little kiddies will be doing the right thing ans setting fire to anything that gets in the way.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Pay”