Responses to Pay and Conditions

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Thu Dec 29 2005, 07:23

I notice that when talking about PHS you dont mention how much the pilots at the rock/canyon are actually getting paid.
I work in the scenic flight side of the business too and would love to know what other operators are paying thier pilots.
I wont say who I work for but I get 550 a week before tax. Its not much but it does pay the bills and feeds me.
Be interested to hear what others are getting Paid in the scenic flight game!
paymaster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Anyone from the rock?

Postby paymaster » Thu Dec 29 2005, 11:01

Thanks Ray, i dont know how much they get paid at the rock but if anyone who works there would care to PM me i would appreciate the numbers. All in confidence of course.
smouc430
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby smouc430 » Sun Feb 26 2006, 08:14

For the record HeliReefs payscale is BASED on the award R44 drvers start on $42 000 with salary sacrifice for your rent (about 35% off your rent and utilities bills). Twin trainee captains (co pilots) go up to about $50 000 and Captains wages are bargained by themselves. All single turbine endorsments carry a one year service bond, pistons are free and Twins carry a three year service bond, you need three years twin (1000 - 1500hrs) for the endorsment to mean anything anyway. This system is (I believe) fair. When applying for jobs remember how much cash you dished out to get where you are and ask to be paid accordingly.

SMO
hillbilly

HELIREEF

Postby hillbilly » Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:02

Do helireef pilots live on the island or the mainland. How do they get out to the island each day.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon May 1 2006, 11:22

SPIFR EMS guys/guylets work very varied rosters and get paid in the A$90Ks in Aus (CHC captains a bit more, Australian a (fair?)bit less). The same gigs in NZ top out around NZ$85K. :wink:
TrueBlue
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Just not enough

Postby TrueBlue » Sat Dec 9 2006, 22:20

G'day to all bladeslappers out there. What are we going to do about wages? Firstly we need to increase our prices slightly and put this back into the pilots and owners pockets. Retention, companies dont like spending money (endoresments etc) and then have it walk out the door. These companies need to increase their wages as pilots build experience to keep them and there knowlege in the company. I could go on and on but want and before people jump on my back i get 52k a year with 1500hrs exp on R44 and b206. We have healthy prices for all our flights and hrly rates, there are companies coming in $200 an hr cheaper than us and we still push on these guys are kidding themselves and you the guys flying for them. For example for every hundred 100rs of flight time the other operaters fly the miss out on $20000 where could this be going well, more marketing=more work oh and back into you the pilots pockets. That is 100hrs imagine 1000 hrs a year.

Anyway enough from me safe flying.
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Sun Dec 10 2006, 00:07

deleted
Last edited by Ray McCooney on Sun Aug 26 2007, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Dec 10 2006, 00:59

What about paid holidays? :?:

6 weeks is the industry standard. :D

Lots of equal time rosters (4days on 4 days off – 2 weeks on 2 weeks off) mean 3months holidays per year when linked to your roster days – what a great industry – fly for a living, and 3 months holidays a year! :idea:

sky "3/4 year working" pig 8) 8)
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Sun Dec 10 2006, 01:06

Offshore on an equal time roster with 4 weeks annual leave.

Work the grand total of 5 months!

P1
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Dec 10 2006, 01:30

And get paid nearly enough to afford the 7 months off! (you do tend to spend more when on holidays)
Pohm 1 what are the restrictions of a little moonlighting (maybe fires) on your time off?

skypig
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Sun Dec 10 2006, 02:40

Moonlighting depends on who you want to work for and what sort of work it is, you have to apply in advance and a decision is made on the relevant factors.

I was told it has a lot to do with whether there's a perceived commercial conflict or 'heighten risk' (whatever that means.)

There aren't many guys that fly on time off, most are too busy out in their yachts, riding their Harleys or spending time in their swimming pools. :wink:

P1
Freewheelin'
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Freewheelin' » Sun Dec 10 2006, 09:22

Or working on the golf swing!!!
Freewheelin'
WTF?

Postby WTF? » Sun Dec 10 2006, 20:27

Yeah right.
Equal time is not equal time. If you are flying for International or somewhere like PNG you are travelling on your time. It takes 2 days to get to work (Africa etc) and at least a day for PNG but usually 2. That is 4 days a tour off your time and in the case of PNG its unpaid until you arrive in country. Recalculate to 7 months on - 5 months off. In the case of PNG you are living like a prisoner for a month and the same in Africa. The money is OK but you need 3000hrs+ for PNG to earn 81K AUS and you will get smoked for taxes if taxed in PNG. The Canadians pay better but you need to be a Capt to pull about $110K AUS.
Internally in Aussie, I work for $400 a day and $100hr - on any type. Overseas I work for minimum paid 80hrs a month at $170hr AUS, per diems and travel from the doorstep to the collective paid.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Dec 11 2006, 08:35

A common EMS roster is: - 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off. 4 days leave (to cover your 2 days and 2 nights) gives you 12 days off straight. :cool_slp:

Do CHC and Bristow Australia travel in pvte or company time?

Sky “not enough time off” pig :wink:
phugoyd

CHC

Postby phugoyd » Mon Dec 11 2006, 09:14

CHC OZ travel in Company time, some guys spend 2 days of there 15 day tour travelling and sitting in the qantas club and then earn frequent flyer points for the privelage :shock: All with DTA from the time you get to your departure AD until you arrive back to your departure AD.

:)
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Dec 18 2006, 08:51

Gentlemen,
I don't know about anyone else, but I got into this industry to FLY, not sit around counting my days off.
All this rubbish about rosters were you only work 5 months of the year, you must be clocking up about 250 hours flying flying a year and I would think that's just enough to keep current. Moonlighting doesn't get you that much more if there is no fire season.
As far as wages go, I do Corporate/private in a single turbine and get a package worth about 140K. Good if it lasts, but it means a pay cut for the next job.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Dec 18 2006, 13:20

hand in pants

I’d suggest you are the highest paid S/E helicopter pilot in Australia. (depending on how you define “package”)

But relax - if you ever get a job where you are paid A$100K + (salary in folding dollars) for five months work your “rate” will have increased and you’ll have seven months a year to fly more and/or earn more.

$kypig 8) 8)

Ps

To some quality is more important than quantity. 200hrs ME-IFR/pulling people from the water/landing at night scenes, might be “what we got into the industry for” rather than 800hrs of VFR S&L airport to helipad.
phugoyd

Hmm

Postby phugoyd » Tue Dec 19 2006, 01:08

Most of my flights start with a 4.30am rise, 5.30 at the airfield for planning and customs, 7am departure. Flight to various rigs and return by midday, post paperwork and customs, home by 13.30. If i had to do that every day i would look elsewhere.

I got into this to do enough flying to enjoy the job but not enough to wish i was elsewhere. Get paid well for what i do and most importantly for me spend as much valuable time with my family and doing things other than flying. ( and a little on BS )

Glad we dont all want the same job.

And you do have a big package, or is that your hand in your pants?

No seriously that is a big package if you would like to elaborate on its make up, your probably on the most in OZ for sp work.

If you dont, understood.

Phugs :)
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Tue Jan 23 2007, 11:40

Does anyone have any updates on the pay thread? Pay really seems to be going up slowly. I work in general charter and last year was on under 30K this year to keep me I've been given the AWARD :shock: . Eh not the full award but atleast the pay side of things. Small company so I cant mention the name,
but things are on the UP
Cheers
RAY
wocawoca
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby wocawoca » Tue Jan 23 2007, 11:52

Any idea what Jayrows are paying?.

Return to “Pay”