Low Hour, Australian Pilot.

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Low Hour ,Austrlian Pilot

Postby cassidy_copter » Sun Feb 24 2013, 03:47

Auzpilot requested-
Hello just wondering if anyone could help a
low hourd pilot or know of any openings
or jobs that are coming up or which operators
to call or drop a cv off to , any advice or
recomandations would help me alot

Thanks For Your Time Guys

Regards AuzPilot

In the February 11th thread, there was a post about maths, physics, and chemistry as being mandatory curriculum for becoming a pilot, in Australia. DamNed little emphasis has been placed upon reading, writing, or speaking English well, apparently.

You are and will be judged on your ability to effectively communicate -written or spoken.

How do you want to be judged? Do not prejudice yourself.
Last edited by cassidy_copter on Tue Feb 26 2013, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.
Never take "No" for an answer.
Fausty

Postby Fausty » Sun Feb 24 2013, 06:11

Cassidy, As a new boy to the forum I get your drift regarding English (or the lack of it) in the industry, however I believe it should be 'Damned' not Damed, or was that an intentional slip up to see who was paying attention?
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Sun Feb 24 2013, 09:38

Fausty, thanks, for that.
Bootch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bootch » Mon Feb 25 2013, 21:14

I wonder if Cassidy Copter fells good highlighting everyone elses bad / not-even-that-bad points so often?
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AuzPilot » Mon Feb 25 2013, 21:21

I guess there will always be a hero, who has enough time on there hands to piss everyone off ! !
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Mon Feb 25 2013, 23:17

*their
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Mon Feb 25 2013, 23:17

Guys, I think Cassidy can come across a bit too much 'Ive been there so listen up young nippers' but I am guessing he probably has, so separate the wheat from the chaff a bit and you may learn something. He is often wise with his advice. When not, challenge him. But for goodness sake, if you are not completely illiterate, learn some basic grammar. Typos aside, for I know the pitfalls of fat fingers and iPhones, try to be a little more accurate as I wouldl also be reluctant to employ anyone who has such an opprobrious command of English (unless they were foreign, and even then!!).
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Feb 26 2013, 00:07

Agree with muppet. While CC can come across as blunt and as some have said before 'egotistical' there is no disputing his experience or wisdom. Be gentle with those who offer up advice that serves as no benefit to the provider. Personality clashes and delivery style aside the site is better overall with the contributions of experienced people like CC.

As for the argument of taking some time and effort to check spelling and grammar...it is a dead horse that gets whipped frequently.
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Tue Feb 26 2013, 06:44

Bootch- I wonder if Cassidy Copter fells (feels) good highlighting everyone elses (else's) bad / not-even-that-bad points so often?

Indeed!

I am neither perfect nor the greatest Aviator. At least, I try.

When I was younger, much younger, I could not spell my name. I always asked my Dad the meaning of this word or correct spelling of that word. One day, he told me to look it up in the dictionary. He told me that I would have as much knowledge and education as any university professor, if I would read the dictionary from cover to cover. Taking several pages a day, I had read the dictionary cover-to-cover.

Computers, word processors, spell checkers and handheld calculators have made us all mentally lazy -forgetting even the basics. We can relate that to flying. The more quality flying we do, the better our flying skills and aeronautical-decision-making become.

I certainly do not intend to criticise anyone, here, or anywhere, merely to make myself feel superior or to belittle or demean someone. Being professional Aviators, we should simply accept criticism as a tool for self-improvement.

I will give you an example. Many, here, believe I am a well and truly experienced Aviator. Yes, I have seen and done much. That said, I have not seen and done it all. I accept and am the first to admit that I still have much to learn and experience.

I was in a full-motion/visual Flight Simulator for a multi-engine transport-category jet, doing recurrent training and assessment. The instructor was a former Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force pilot. He does not speak English well. He was stern and had a reputation that he routinely fails pilots and doesn't like foreign Captains.

My first takeoff, he gave me an N1 Overspeed in my #1 (left) engine. Of course, I am looking down runway centreline and peeking inside for a quick crosscheck of the instruments. I was below 80 knots, began to execute a Rejected Takeoff. "I've got this made." I was momentarily right on centreline. A moment later, I was fighting to keep it on centreline and using full left rudder and differential braking, but still rapidly approaching the runway edge/grass, to my right. Damn! I was now driving a golf cart.

He reset the Sim and he told me, "In the old QRH, for the 'Classic', there was a procedure to cutoff the Engine Start Lever of the bad engine." We were in a New Generation aircraft Simulator and such was neither specifically covered in the QRH nor Memory Recall Items. He, went on to say that even if I shut down both engines, on the runway, at least I will be able to stay on centreline and that would be better than shutting down the wrong engine. I simply replied, "Yes, Sir." He gave me a second chance, but failed #2 engine. Bang, I was right there. I cutoff #2 Engine Start Lever, immediately, keeping it perfectly on centreline and stopped in a short distance. A high thrust low speed Reject is a very difficult manoeuver tp perform and many pilots take it off the runway (liken it to a quick stop in a confined area on a hot day). In all my years of flying and operating multi-engine transport-category jets and completing recurrent Sims, that was my first time to experience that scenario.

What is my point, you may wonder?

I learned something.

I simply accepted his criticism as a tool for learning and becoming a better Captain. Though I am not, I continuously strive to be the best Captain and Pilot out there. I set that standard for myself.

You can either accept my and others' criticism, as a tool for self-improvement, or fob me off as an a$$hole with too much time on my hands. Choice is yours.
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Tue Feb 26 2013, 19:49

Cassidy has a very good point. The successful and most safe aviator I have often noticed, is one who is pedantic about paying attention to detail and I don't infer that as a mixed metaphor.

Right down to making sure it has been seen by those who pay the wages that you give a thorough Daily Inspection to the lawnmower, to which you have been assigned as a sprog pilot for a day or so as part of your induction.

It is often a fact that many people in Australia, even those who have had the benefit of a good education, massacre the English language to claim some self satisfied smug greatness because of it, when all they are doing is portraying themselves as an utter fool.

There are though many other magnificent people who use the word "you'se" and "came" in the wrong sense, 'they have came', merely because of their upbringing and as such don't appreciate any difference.
AuzPilot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AuzPilot » Tue Feb 26 2013, 21:38

I just thought that there was a better way of going about things. I defintantly see where you are coming from. All of us are not perfect and I guess mine is in grammar. But apologies to Cassidy. Great advice given though.

Return to “Pay”