helicopter Pilot Award Australia

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

helicopter Pilot Award Australia

Postby Pegs » Tue Jun 7 2011, 12:21

link to the 2010 Helicopter pilot's award.

For some reason it won't let me post the link, is something broken Helothere? :?

Well worth the browse through, some impressive additions on the base rate, I particularly noted the following addition,
E.4.1 Additional qualifications

(a) Senior commercial pilot’s licence

A pilot who is required to hold an ATPL will be paid 515% of the standard rate per annum in addition to the salary prescribed in clause E.5.1.

hope not too many shocks out there!
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: helicopter Pilot Award Australia

Postby Pegs » Tue Jun 7 2011, 12:27

http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/modern_awards/award/ma000046/default.htm

ok it seems it just won't let me put it in the original post, reply is ok..... :?: :?

This award is helicopter pilots only, there is another link for F/W pilots. :wink:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Jun 7 2011, 20:16

Just a shame that the Senior Commercial Pilots Licence went out about 20 years ago.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Tue Jun 7 2011, 21:28

the ATPL doesn't classify as that? I read it to mean that if the pilot was required to hold that qualification then he would be entitled to the higher percentage?
Ag-Fire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ag-Fire » Wed Jun 8 2011, 00:50

If every one was on the award wages I think there would be a few more faster cars kicking around the hanger rather than the beaten up commodore. I would be interested to see if the specialty roles ie police flyers are actually getting there special loadings of 1045% loading? If so I know where I want to work next. :D
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Jun 8 2011, 01:32

what's the 'standard rate' when it refers to loading for specialty roles? I couldn't find it.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Ag-Fire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ag-Fire » Wed Jun 8 2011, 03:12

Well the way I'm looking at it is that if your flying something like an N3 in Vic your base as a 1st year should be $45,580 plus your specialty rate loading of 1045% that should equal some big dollars. :D Or for the SPIFR ems guys who need to hold an ATPL just looking at it should get 1140% :shock: loading or I could just be reading it the wrong way :o
Dualie

Postby Dualie » Wed Jun 8 2011, 03:14

havick wrote:what's the 'standard rate' when it refers to loading for specialty roles? I couldn't find it.

standard rate means the minimum salary for a Captain single engine UTBNI
1360 kg in Schedule B divided by 52

So $33,173/52 = $637.94

Ag-Fire wrote:If every one was on the award wages I think there would be a few more faster cars kicking around the hanger rather than the beaten up commodore. I would be interested to see if the specialty roles ie police flyers are actually getting there special loadings of 1045% loading? If so I know where I want to work next. :D

Police Penalty is $6,666.50 = 10.45 X $637.94

Min wage for a Single Engine Heli Pilot is $41,332 + allowances + 9% super
Last edited by Dualie on Wed Jun 8 2011, 04:22, edited 4 times in total.
Ag-Fire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ag-Fire » Wed Jun 8 2011, 03:25

If that's the case what's section E.5.1 referring to ? I was also basing my figures on a twin as that's what a lot of the POLAIR birds are ! As I said I could easily be interpreting this completely wrong :(
Dualie

Postby Dualie » Wed Jun 8 2011, 03:35

Ag-Fire wrote:If that's the case what's section E.5.1 referring to ? I was also basing my figures on a twin as that's what a lot of the POLAIR birds are ! As I said I could easily be interpreting this completely wrong :(

Heli min wage, anything to do with standard rate is an additional loading
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Wed Jun 8 2011, 11:05

hand in pants wrote:Just a shame that the Senior Commercial Pilots Licence went out about 20 years ago.

I've got a fixed wing one of those: couldn't be arsed to argue with DCA when they refused to recognise my rotary night hours toward a FW ATPL, they insisted that the air is different for a helicopter at night :roll:
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Wed Jun 8 2011, 22:44

Heli wrote:they insisted that the air is different for a helicopter at night

Really :!: Did they give a reason?
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Thu Jun 9 2011, 02:07

They didn't have to, you should know that!

I 'only' had 70 hours night FW, plus 900+ night Rotary, and was told that I didn't have enough night FW landings. WTF, where does it say that in the requirements? How many landings does a Qantas FO get at night in 100 hours? I didn't need it (the ATPL) so couldn't be bothered to argue.

Meantime, mate in the PAW with a CPL(H) (mine was an ATPL) got his FW ATPL with only 50 FW night hours and 200 total night. Go figure :roll:
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Thu Jun 9 2011, 03:01

Heli wrote:They didn't have to, you should know that!

Well you learn somthing new every day no I didnt Know that I only have A NZCPLH but good to know.
Thanks

Ben"always learning "Thomas
BellEnd

Postby BellEnd » Thu Jun 9 2011, 14:50

Theres always one thing I've observed from my short career flying in regards to the "award wage". You're either worth it or you're not! In saying that though, there is a difference between an honest worker and an arse licker!
Most operators expect you to put 110% in at the start/trial period to show you're worth being paid the award wage/possibly above!
The problem is, a lot of guys/girls get the job and just believe they are some sort of Prima Donna princesses that job involves doing a fuel drain, go flying, push the machine away, go home! Clean the machine and/or hangar?? :o :shock:

Hopefully most people get this explained to them before they decide on their first lesson!

Seeing as (once again) we're on the subject of pay, a note to all you newbies!

I know you're chomping at the bit to get hours and underway and possibly work for free, but........you're degrading the whole industry by doing that. There are folks out there that possibly had their parents pay for their license (half their luck) and the other people who served as a tradie or whatever to pay for their license, saved their rings off and still had to borrow money to finish it, work for bugger all in the start and finally make "the award wage" (still bugger all) until earning decent coin!
Basically im trying to say ban the fresh CPL kiwis coming here willing to work for peanuts and give the aussie battlers a job and a fair wage!!! :lol: :wink:

Return to “Pay”