junior Grade 2 Instructor Pay

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: junior Grade 2 Instructor Pay

Postby skypig » Fri Jan 21 2011, 10:36

Ray, that’s the crux of my argument against the GIII thing.

As Bedouin Prince says “...where I work the opening rate is $55000, plus holidays. More Experience = more money.”
At least it’s a living wage, and with experience and the subsequent “more money” people who want too, can make a living out of instructing. A good living if you want to go all the way to IFR, and/or CFI.
My prediction is the GIII will come in, and in a short while, we will be talking about the “old days”, when "there were experienced instructors in the industry”.

SP 8) 8)
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Fri Jan 21 2011, 13:07

Yeah the thing is, sure you can make more money in other areas, and I made more out bush, there is not really any other area where you know that you will be working 9 to 5 (ish) without someone coming up to you and saying get your swag you're off to the desert for three weeks. I have my nice two days off per week, I'm home for the family every night, I do tons of flying, and interesting flying at that. For me to stay home for a couple of years so my kids can actually know who I am, whist still doing flying that I know will further my career, I figure it's worth it.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
oneliner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby oneliner » Fri Jan 21 2011, 20:30

skypig wrote:My prediction is the GIII will come in, and in a short while, we will be talking about the “old days”, when "there were experienced instructors in the industry”.

Agreed. Take a look at NZ and tell me that the low pay and super low hour instructors are a good thing. I struggle to see positives aside from the work for low hour pilots...but at what cost? The only winner is the employer.

Bedouin Prince wrote:Yeah the thing is, sure you can make more money in other areas, and I made more out bush, there is not really any other area where you know that you will be working 9 to 5 (ish) without someone coming up to you and saying get your swag you're off to the desert for three weeks. I have my nice two days off per week, I'm home for the family every night, I do tons of flying, and interesting flying at that. For me to stay home for a couple of years so my kids can actually know who I am, whist still doing flying that I know will further my career, I figure it's worth it.

Horses for courses. I'm home every night with the wife, have a huge variation of work from dope on the rope, to power line
work/construction, to fire fighting etc. All for a very good living and not a circuit to be had. One isn't necessarily better than the other, it's what ever floats your boat.

MY opinion.

oneliner
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Fri Jan 21 2011, 23:19

Yep Oneliner, your absolutely right, it's what ever floats your boat, and what you enjoy doing. (c:_ol

And I'm right with you and Skypig on the GIII. I fail to see how it can benefit anyone other than the employer, and the lucky dog who will be racking in the cash as all these low timers come to them chasing their GIII directly after CPL training. It's just another way to glut the low time market, dragging down pay and conditions.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Return to “Pay”