PNG Pay and info

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Sideshow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

PNG Pay and info

Postby Sideshow » Sat Sep 26 2009, 09:57

OK ive had a hunt through the Pilot pay section and couldn't find anything on the pay in PNG (before someone bites my head off im not saying its not there, maybe it is, but I couldnt find it).

Anyways, how much could you expect when starting out? lets say with 2000 TT and a bit of sling and mountain exp.
Also how much could you get paid if you stayed there for 20 years and had 15,000 hours with s#!t loads of experience on 15 different choppers?
How much do they tax you?
Is it any fun living there?
Do they fly you to and from work?
Where can you tour from? only Australia? NZ maybe?
Whats the typical roster? (eg 6 on 6 off, 4 on 4 off)

I would appreciate any info (im sure there will be a bit of variance as there's a few companys opperating over there).
POROMAN

Re: PNG Pay and info

Postby POROMAN » Sat Sep 26 2009, 10:17

PAY IS AROUND 75K FOR MOST STARTS AND 90K TO 110K FOR EXPERIENCED BLOKES.

LIFE CAN BE TOUGH UP THERE AND THE FLYING WILL SORT THE BOYS FROM THE MEN.

TAX IS HIGH AROUND 30%

31 DAYS ON 28 OFF AND THEY PAY FOR FLIGHTS FROM AUST OR NZ, THEY ALSO PAY FOR ACCOMMODATION ETC.

THIS GOES FOR MOST ALL OF THE COMPANIES.

SOME LOVE IT SOME HATE IT.

THE PEOPLE WILL LOVE YOU, THEY LOVE WHITE SKIN MEAT!

CHEERS.
Sideshow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Sideshow » Sat Sep 26 2009, 10:23

Is that US dollars or Aussie dollars
POROMAN

Postby POROMAN » Sat Sep 26 2009, 10:34

AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS, NOT MUCH FOR A HIGH RISK JOB
BBwantok
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BBwantok » Sat Mar 26 2011, 01:33

Pay is generally around $85K AUD + for new guys (single driver) but it has increased in recent times.
Normal roster is 28/28, with company paying:
Travel from nearest capital city, food allowance, accomodation, Evac and Med insurance.
Any other ex. like medicals, CASA fees, etc.
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Quick Release » Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:38

Tax is more like 41 - 42% in PNG but some companies will pay you half in OZ half in PNG, the ATO in OZ will make adjustments to your tax and so over all you will pay
a standard rate, if that makes sense.
I know of other companies that just pay you a higher rate so your net salary is acceptable.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Mar 26 2011, 05:59

[quote="Quick Release"]Tax is more like 41 - 42% in PNG but some companies will pay you half in OZ half in PNG, the ATO in OZ will make adjustments to your tax and so over all you will pay
a standard rate, if that makes sense. quote]

Wouldn't that be a pain in the bum if for example you were claiming deductions against investment properties etc back in Australia? ie if you're only paying a small adjusted amount of tax back in Australia you will really lose out come time to lodge an Australian tax return (I can't see the PNG govt handing back any $$$ for negatively geared properties, expenses, deductions etc).
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sun Mar 27 2011, 08:08

havick wrote:Wouldn't that be a pain in the bum if for example you were claiming deductions against investment properties etc back in Australia? ie if you're only paying a small adjusted amount of tax back in Australia you will really lose out come time to lodge an Australian tax return (I can't see the PNG govt handing back any $$$ for negatively geared properties, expenses, deductions etc).

A helicopter pilot with an investment property....Wow, things are looking up.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Mar 27 2011, 10:31

A pilot getting ahead in this world...imagine that!!!

Spare a thought for the laundry hands offshore from Karratha on 'short term' casual work (between 12-18 months work) earning $1745 a day!!! Yes...per day!!! Cooks are getting circa $334k 3:3 roster. Some welders can get almost $500k for barge welding. Don't believe me, read the EGN section of last friday's Australian newspaper.

...wonder if the three loads of washing I did before dinner might qualify me for a gig?!? :?
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Quick Release » Sun Mar 27 2011, 11:05

FF i believe you... gotta mate works off shore as a chief out of sale.. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and earns a small fortune.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sun Mar 27 2011, 21:07

FerrariFlyer wrote:A pilot getting ahead in this world...imagine that!!!

Spare a thought for the laundry hands offshore from Karratha on 'short term' casual work (between 12-18 months work) earning $1745 a day!!! Yes...per day!!! Cooks are getting circa $334k 3:3 roster. Some welders can get almost $500k for barge welding. Don't believe me, read the EGN section of last friday's Australian newspaper.

...wonder if the three loads of washing I did before dinner might qualify me for a gig?!? :?

Do you Iron as well? :twisted:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.

Return to “Pay”