Pilot pay split post, discussion thread.

What's a job in helicopters pay? Does it pay? Why do you get paid more than me?
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Pilot pay split post, discussion thread.

Postby Master Cylinder » Fri Sep 7 2007, 22:20

Gents,

One thing you can add to VICPOL - can't be sure, but I think the roster is 4 on 4 off; in addition to the reasonable money, the leave plan is excellent; also lots of scope for overtime. How do I know this? I applied last year for the Senior Pilot slot (didn't get it); definately a good lot of people to work with.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
OWAP
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

VIC POL conditions

Postby OWAP » Fri Sep 7 2007, 22:40

Master,

Re pay - watch this space.

Re Roster - watch this space things may be changing there. There is a 4 on 4 off part of the roster but the rest is a 10 hour roster written every four weeks.

There is overtime but generally to cover operational commitments eg searches and ill members.

Leave is 9 weeks - 5 weeks for shift work 2 weeks for the public holidays missed during the year (not compensated by pay) and two weeks given in one hit for 38 hour RDO’s

:)
"The Yank"
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby "The Yank" » Sun Sep 9 2007, 00:48

Great post Paymaster! Thanks for your efforts and for sharing.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sun Sep 9 2007, 02:51

How does the NSW PAW compare?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Sep 9 2007, 06:54

Then there's the Tuna boat pilots out of Guam/Pohnpei etc., earn approx 3500 - 4000 USD tax free per month, if you're a pilot/mechanic then double that figure. You'll fly your max hours per year on a Hughes 500. You can usually get a start just shy of a thousand hours with a couple hundred turbine.

Do a couple years of it and you will probably move onto base pay plus tonnage of fish caught (then you earn a motza).

I personally don't fly this job, but a good mate of mine does. He is on base pay plus tonnage and is pulling around 200K plus (obviously that's if you're catching lots of fish).

But you have to like life at sea. Guess it's not for everyone. Some people last less than a month, others their whole career.
Rivet

Postby Rivet » Wed Mar 12 2008, 01:05

paymaster
What is the average wage for a base manager in oz/canada
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Mar 12 2008, 03:31

Define "Base Manager".

What experince/ qualifications?

Duties include check and training?

Lot's of 500hr pilots are called "Base Managers" and can expect to paid like, a 500hr pilot.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:19

What about corporate pilots????
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

CHC Global IFR touring captain...

Postby Dauphin » Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:50

...depends on the base and exchange rate. Nigeria is the highest at about 140k (tax free).
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Mar 12 2008, 07:56

...depends on the base and exchange rate. Nigeria is the highest at about 140k (tax free).

$140K Australian?

What about somewhere nicer like Thailand, must be nearly as much?

I haven’t got endorsements on their types (but have ME IFR command time) are they, CHC international, looking for drivers.

$kypig
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

CHC Global

Postby Dauphin » Wed Mar 12 2008, 08:35

Yes, that's Aussie $. Don't know what the Thailand rate is without looking it up, but in general the "nicer" the location the less the $ - most pilots and engineers are happy to go where the money is. If you're going to be away from home for 6 weeks at a time you may as well be well paid for it. Having said that a lot of the guys based in Thailand don't bother touring back to Oz, Canada, etc on their 6 weeks off, they live "permanently" in Thailand. CHC Global is currently advertising for Captains and Co-pilots. Chief Pilot says they need to hire around 200 pilots over the next 2 years, and from what I've seen the minimums have been reduced.
Skywork
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Skywork » Wed Mar 12 2008, 08:56

Fire pay is know around 350-400$ a day and 90-125$ for every hour flown depending on a few little things like mediums verses lights.

Ag can be very good if you have the work and on turbines up over 100k a year easy if you do 450- 500 hrs then basically the more hours the more money
The ag rates are on http://www.wagenet.gov.au%20%20%20Code%20AW765615
"The Yank"
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Pilot pay, Confirmed amounts

Postby "The Yank" » Thu Nov 13 2008, 15:54

Paymaster (or another reliable source),

Do you have updated figures for the OZ offshore companies? Are any allowing you to commute? Has the amount of holiday time increased from one hitch (if you work 14/14)?

Thanks!

Yank
luminary

Postby luminary » Fri Nov 14 2008, 02:53

I would be interested in seeing some current pay rates too.

Cynthia @ Luminary
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Nov 14 2008, 23:39

If you belong to the AFAP you can view the current Awards/EBAs for CHC and Bristow. Transparency, I believe helps us move ahead together.
It looks like CHC Offshore Co-Pilots would end up with over A$90K with all allowances etc. The Off Shore roster seems to be 15 days on (inc travel), 13 days off, 4 weeks annual leave. I think CHC offers touring from any Capital City. I understand Bristow pay even more but don’t allow everyone to tour from where they want (i.e. move to Perth).

8) “Got a job on an oil rig, flying choppers when I could.........”
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Nov 15 2008, 19:59

Piggie,
This is off topic a bit, but what is the point of being in the AFAP. And how much does it cost.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sat Nov 15 2008, 23:29

I’m far from an expert, but I understand the Federation is the closest thing we have to a union, or any representation for that matter. The main reason I’m a member is to belong to the Mutual Benefit fund – Loss of Licence Insurance.

As well as trying to improve conditions for pilots, they can also offer legal advice etc.

The cost of membership is not cheap; it is based on your wage.

I think it’s the old story; If you benefit from an award/EBA etc, are you probably benefiting from the AFAP, are you contributing..........?
8) 8)
Pear Head
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pear Head » Sun Nov 16 2008, 01:45

You pay 1% of your wages for AFAP membership. Insurance premiums depend on age, level of cover etc. You'd be looking at around $1,500 p/a but if you lose your licence due to medical issues they pay up to $500,000 or a portion of that for prexisting conditions.
Try getting that anywhere else.

Premiums and membership are tax deductible.
VFR44
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VFR44 » Sun Nov 16 2008, 10:05

skypig wrote:
I think it’s the old story; If you benefit from an award/EBA etc, are you probably benefiting from the AFAP, are you contributing..........?
8) 8)

It's the old story...The ones who are in the most need of help from the AFAP(unions), are the ones not getting anywhere near the award/eba and the least able to afford the membership fees (even at 1%) and have the least to gain by paying them as they won't get the award anyway!

A newbie on $25k is surviving on $480pw before tax. $250 seems like a lot of money when he pays that in rent per week out of his $480 before tax!

A ME/CIR is on $150k? That's over $2800pw before tax..The $1500 in union fees doesn't sting so much now hey.

Now before all the ME/CIR guys start throwing things at me all I'm trying to do is put things into perspective.

Unions often don't help the ones who really need them. It's all about dollars and sense.Why go into bat for the newbies who only pay $250 a year and who won't stand up against the boss anyway because he isn't that stupid as to wreck his carreer and blow his $70k just trying to make things better....No It's much easier to take the $1500 and go to the table with some real bargaining chips...Pilots with ME/CIR that the industry is short of!..
.(helmet on...ready for barrage) :)
" So long...And thanks for all the fish!"
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sun Nov 16 2008, 10:31

VFR44 wrote:No It's much easier to take the $1500 and go to the table with some real bargaining chips...Pilots with ME/CIR that the industry is short of!..
.(helmet on...ready for barrage) :)

Mate: I'm ME/SP/CIR and wild horses wouldn't get me to associate with the AFAP Oc:=

Bunch of tossers, couldn't organise a chook raffle etc etc :roll:

Return to “Pay”