Batteries on a plane

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Batteries on a plane

Postby Nawty » Mon Jun 30 2014, 10:14

Not helicopters i know...but thought some aviator types should/might know anyway..

Can you take batteries on a plane, in checked luggage, NOT carry on....rechargeable batteries, both types, the little energizer ones with plug in socket recharger and the larger remote control car NiMh/nicad type ?

If you can, any special requirements, can do at checkin, have to notify anyone first etc ?

Ta
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Batteries on a plane

Postby CYHeli » Mon Jun 30 2014, 12:27

Nawty, it depends on the carrier, there are limits. I'll find the link, but Virgin for example prefer to carry on, not checked and only one pair of spares.
Batteries are best carried in an electronic item where there is less chance of them shorting out.
I'll pull out the DG sheet and attach it shortly.
CASA link, http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90385
But there is a specific sheet I'm looking for.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Batteries on a plane

Postby mdav » Mon Jun 30 2014, 13:28

Portable Electronic Devices including Medical Devices containing Lithium Ion or Lithium Metal Cells or Batteries
No airline (operator) approval is required when carry devices such as portable medical devices, watches, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers and camcorders provided the lithium batteries are on of the following:

lithium ion batteries with a Watt hour rating under 100Wh
lithium metal batteries with a lithium metal content not more than 2g

All spare batteries for consumer electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. They must be individually protected to prevent short circuit using one of the following:

In original retail packaging;
Taping over exposed terminals;
Placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”