Year-end tax planning

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Year-end tax planning

Postby Planner » Thu Jun 12 2014, 13:12

Hi all,

Found some time today to add another blog post to my website. Given it is closing in on another tax year-end I thought some tax planning tips might interest some of you. If paying as little tax as possible appeals to you then feel free to check out my blog by clicking the link below:

http://countrywealthfinancialservices.com.au/blog-2/

Hope to do a "Contractor versus Employee" post soon when I find some time.

Feel free to post some questions pop;

Planner.
nuthin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Year-end tax planning

Postby nuthin » Fri Jun 13 2014, 01:24

Do you just cover stralin tax law? Any other countries? NZ, Canada?
They all seem to be the same these days
Planner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Year-end tax planning

Postby Planner » Fri Jun 13 2014, 05:18

nuthin wrote:Do you just cover stralin tax law? Any other countries? NZ, Canada?
They all seem to be the same these days

Some basic concepts between tax jurisdictions are similar but I would not be confident and say I could advise on other tax laws. I will stick with Australia.

Just to highlight a point in my blog article about the Remote Area Housing Benefit fringe benefits tax concession. For heli pilots this has got to be something that is useful. A lot of places are considered remote even though they really are not that remote. For example, in my local area Scone, Muswellbrook and Mudgee are considered remote and therefore you could qualify for this tax break (if you employer is happy to participate that is). You do have to live there (for example, you can't claim it if you live in Sydney and work out of Karratha). Here is a link to the full list of remote areas per the ATO website:

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Fringe-b ... #New_South

This link starts with NSW but if you scroll down the other states are there.

The other FBT concession that I reckon a lot of Bladeslappers could use is the relocation expenses exemption. I used this when I moved from Sydney back to Scone and had about $30,000 of eligble costs (removalist, marketing costs on house sale, selling agent's fees, mini-storage costs to name a few). My employer was happy to let me salary sacrifice this and basically got $30,000 of salary tax free. Well worth the trouble.

Planner.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”