New ASIC requirements

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: New ASIC requirements

Postby Probbo » Wed Aug 9 2017, 11:16

Might be a conflict of interest with the ASIC assessment contractors advertising on this website pop;
It's frustrating in this technology driven era that we have to keep submitting bucket loads of personal history for re issue of ASIC. An initial application, fair enough.
After first year debacle with CASA MRS medicals, I was surprised recently when this years medical was issued within a week of DAME appointment. Well done CASA!
Maybe with time the ASIC renewal process will become more user friendly aswell.....
Izzy Fullashat
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Izzy Fullashat » Thu Aug 10 2017, 10:27

And at $256.50 for renewal is an absolute rip off!!!! :shock: Oc:=
OHH!!! CRAP I still cant come up with a catchy saying!!!!!!!
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Aug 11 2017, 23:00

Devils advocate - too many ASIC's in circulation makes it more probable that someone with ill intent will end up with one, a way to reduce this risk is to make it progressively more inconvenient to gain the ASIC, then those of us who couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops or are unable to qualify drop out of the system. I don't think CASA cares if a helicopter charter customer has to drive to somewhere which doesn't have RPT traffic because the pilot doesn't have an ASIC & cant pick them up at the airport. As mentioned previously, we'll all do it anyway as no-one ever checks.

Another thought- the 4 individuals recently arrested for trying to stuff explosive in a coffee machine & jump on a plane didn't have any criminal record according to news reports, from that information they probably could have gained an ASIC if they applied.
-The ASIC currently has a 2 year renewal, how long does it take to become radicalised? Could I renew my ASIC today & be radicalised within the next 2 years? Given that the jihadi's are nutters to start with I'd guess that it's quite possible.
- A common thread in news reports regarding suspected terrorism in Australia mentions a few suburbs in Sydney regularly, usually surrounding Bankstown airport. I'm going to bust out my most bestest ethnic profiling & determine that the concentration of Islamic followers in that area is a contributing factor to this. Ever sat on a plane at Sydney airport & watched the baggage handlers throwing the bags on the trolley? Ever wonder how many of those ASIC armbands have a Bankstown post code associated with it? I have, & it's not a matter of when we have a terrorist attack in Australia, its a matter of when.

My point? - the ASIC is a very expensive method for government ministers to cover their arse & say "we did all the right things" so they can keep their job & pension WHEN a plane blows up in Australia.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Fri Aug 11 2017, 23:31

Heliduck....

You mentioned yourself getting "radicalized" in the next 2 years. ...

Quick now, you'd best be posting a video of yourself eating a bacon sandwich, before the feds come knocking down your door....

Actually, come to think of it maybe that would be an efficient and cheaper method of proving oneself worthy of a security clearance. ... It would certainly be more tasty!

I need a promotion for such a grand idea!
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Aug 12 2017, 10:18

Your onto something there Yankee - Now that you've sparked my imagination I can think of several politically incorrect fool proof ASIC eligibility tests involving bacon fat, scantily clad ladies & good looking goats.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sun Aug 13 2017, 23:08

I'm a bit worried about you heliduck... how do you qualify a "good looking goat"????
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Mon Aug 14 2017, 03:37

Yankee wrote:I'm a bit worried about you heliduck... how do you qualify a "good looking goat"????

I use the theory of relativity - how good looking they are is relative to how remote you are. For example in Sydney 1 in 10 goats are good looking, in the Pilbara 1 in 10 are not good looking.
"Plan twice...Fly once"

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”