Drones in the news

Looking for somewhere to post an unusual question? Got something that doesn't fit anywhere else? Do it here...
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Drones in the news

Postby hand in pants » Wed Aug 24 2016, 04:20

The wrong forum, but I see a drone had a "mishap" on the harbour bridge the other night.
Talk about lucky. Missed by thaaaaaaaaaat much. Wonder how the insurance companies and clients will take this one.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Drones in the news

Postby godfather007 » Wed Aug 24 2016, 07:08

Dam. You beat me to it HIP..
From the footage on CH9, it seems the controller had positioned the drone inline with the top arch of the bridge..
Having flown over the southern pylon of bridge at 500ft at least once a week for quiet a long time, i'm pretty sure that part of the bridge is at least 500ft.
What happened to the 400ft ceiling for drone operations on this one? Was there a NOTAM or dispensation issued?
Hang the controller out to dry! NO Burn him at the stake...
The drone is destroyed, and the geek owner/operator handed himself in so that's a good start. **^**

GF LOL..
There is always an option.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Aug 25 2016, 03:32

I have seen a Notam about a drome/UAV operating in the harbour not above 200'.

I wonder if it was old mate. Also wonder how you know your drone is only 200' as well, do they have any kind of altimeter on board?????
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Aug 25 2016, 03:41

I have seen a Notam about a drome/UAV operating in the harbour not above 200'.

That could be interesting at times Pants. As you know under CAR 157 exemptions it allows approved operators to do air work down to 200' east of the bridge. Be nice to have a drone fill your windscreen down there. :o
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Sep 5 2016, 06:35

Going into YSSY just before lunch today and the ATIS was saying there was "unapproved" drone activity on the 34 approach up to 2000.
Sounds like little Jonnie was having fun.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Sep 6 2016, 09:16

On Ch 7 new tonight they report warnings for drones today operating around the bridge and YSSY at up to 2,000 feet. Yep, 2,000 feet.

And I read last week that CASA want to deregulate the whole drone thing.

Clearly no one at CASA has any idea what they are doing.

It will only be a matter of time before one of us that flies around Sydney hits one.

Lunacy HQ.

Arrrj
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Tue Sep 6 2016, 20:09

It's not the regulated ones we need to worry about, it's all the others. In my experience, CASA RPAS are actually quite good at what they do but with only 7 guys running it they simply don't have the resources to regulate the entire show. Come September 29, commercial op's below 2kg will not require a licence or a UOC but will come with some conditions. The rules for any uav include OCTA not above 400 feet with visual line of sight, unless specific permission is approved.

The problems begin when ol' Mate grabs a toy online that can achieve 5km range out of the box, then blasts off into our airspace oblivious of the rules. A few will be caught and dealt with, just as a few are caught speeding or littering, the difference being the latter rules are broken willfully. The problem is already vast and very much in it's infancy with no real solutions on the horizon.

Compulsory registration with a nominal fee might go some way to making people responsible for their actions, would allow an avenue to inform users of the legal obligations and might allow funds for more staff to police and administer RPAS use. Not to take the fun out of this but it seems we are waiting for a major accident to occur before anything concrete is established. And that is only a matter of time the way things are going, with increasing reports of near misses and sightings especially around airports.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Sep 19 2016, 04:59

Another report of unauthorised drone at 4000 feet near mascot.
Carsten

Postby Carsten » Mon Sep 19 2016, 06:14

I found the Helicopter news report quite interesting.
The USA have estimated 400.000 drones and its growing quickly.
They are just $1000 and prices going down as numbers increase. I believe a regulation is simply unrealistic to enforce due to the numbers.
I guess a toy drone with just 500gramm can do some damage but its unlikely to hit anything.
A compulsory information paper in the toy box would increase the awareness. Just like the smoking kills campaign.

Hands in Pants:
The proper DJI drones with point of view cameras have an altimeter and you can even program some with GPS data and the drone flies the track alone.
New is a toy drone you throw in the air and it follows you (great for cycling, surfing, climbing the harbour bridge maybe?)
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Mon Sep 19 2016, 23:36

GoPro's latest offering - https://shop.gopro.com/APAC/karma

Looks awesome and good for 14,500'! :shock:
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Sep 20 2016, 11:10

Whether the helicopter or aviation industry likes it or not drones are here to stay. You just have to look how much work the legit guys are taking away from traditional operators of Cineflex, Flir, Tylermout shoots, most if not all commercial shoots are drones.

They are now so embedded into everyday life and so prolific that you will always have your rogue operators without any respect for the regulations. Im not sure how you can combat against the general public with a $500 drone that doesn't give a s#!t its going to be a continued problem especially around major centres. In all honesty i think its the equivalent of todays iPhone, Its a disruptive industry/product thats literally taken off to all consumers.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Thu Sep 22 2016, 01:47

From yesterday's Australian - thousands of the things will be out there delivering pizza !

Domino’s Pizza boss Don Meij wrote to Malcolm Turnbull three weeks ago seeking his assistance in freeing the company from regulations that are restricting his ability to develop further in Australia.

Later this year, Meij will launch drone pizza delivery, which is not allowed in Australia because of air traffic rules.

The drones will come to a home, drop the pizza by cable then fly back to the shop for the next order.

Drones are doubling their capacity every six months, making them an even more powerful delivery mechanism for a company that spends $350 million a year in driver labour.

Well they won’t be operating in Australia any time soon, only in New Zealand, because local regulations prevent the delivery in this country.

Australia will have to make do with DRU (robot delivery) and maybe down the track driverless vehicles. The Prime Minister is yet to respond, but the letter underlines the challenges ahead for the government in ­delivering productivity improvements. Governments such as Singapore work with business to deliver outcomes but the federal and state governments are often either stuck with their head in the sand or at war with business.

Return to “The Pilots Lounge”