Helideck Monitoring System offshore platforms

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Helideck Monitoring System offshore platforms

Postby Zebt » Tue Oct 7 2014, 04:06

G'day all,

Hoping for a bit of help. I've been digging through CAAP 92-1 and CAAP 92-4, ICAO Annex 14 Volume 2, CASR 1998 Part 133 plus any other info and can't get to the bottom!
Given the changes in progress/in place for Part 133 are offshore helidecks (rigs or ships) required to provide any kind of electronic MET data to the incoming helicopter, or are the platforms required to have a monitoring system, including wave height, deck incline data etc?
Reason for the question is I am responsible for offshore engineering projects and I am trying to find some concrete rules behind installing certain equipment on platforms, ie these monitoring systems, I understand that various systems can be construed as 'recommended' but I would like to know what is mandated.

Many thanks
Z
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Helideck Monitoring System offshore platforms

Postby FerrariFlyer » Tue Oct 7 2014, 04:34

These guys will be able to give you exact information as to requirements for offshore landing sites:

http://www.helidecks.org

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Tue Oct 7 2014, 04:50

FerrariFlyer wrote:These guys will be able to give you exact information as to requirements for offshore landing sites:

http://www.helidecks.org

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Perfect, I'll drop them a line, thanks.
pngheliops

Postby pngheliops » Thu Oct 9 2014, 03:38

There is a lot of useful info on this subject in UK CAP 437, Chapter 6. Most (big) offshore vessels have the Krongsberg Seatex HMS100 system installed and there is good info on this system on their website.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Thu Oct 9 2014, 20:24

pngheliops wrote:There is a lot of useful info on this subject in UK CAP 437, Chapter 6. Most (big) offshore vessels have the Krongsberg Seatex HMS100 system installed and there is good info on this system on their website.

Thanks. I have now spoken with a number of people at CASA, it seems there aren't any mandated areas for electronic aids yet. CAP 437 (Based on ICAO Annex 14 Vol II) does use stronger language in relation to weather and motion data being available to the pilot but CASA have told me they are not comfortable with some of the wording in the ICAO document so have not been able to adopt it yet, I got the impression there would be changes in this area in the future.
I am now interested in contacting relevant persons at the major heli operators who are responsible for this area, if anyone knows of a good contact please PM me.
Tks
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Oct 12 2014, 23:13

So much for CASA wanting to be ICAO compliant!
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”