AS350 Rollover Vid

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

AS350 Rollover Vid

Postby Twistgrip » Sun Jan 24 2016, 11:43

A timely reminder on the consequences of dynamic rollover, but also to know your personal limitations on the aircraft type.

As you can see from the vid he wasn't comfortable from the start of the landing sequence but persisted until the end result (Remarkable how it ended back upright!).

Also note the 206 with the blades not tied down, not a good practice especially for a teetering head when aircraft are taking off and overhead/nearby. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68VW_vGrlgI
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: AS350 Rollover Vid

Postby Capt Hollywood » Mon Jan 25 2016, 01:38

OK I'll say it. Whilst not the end cause of the accident, the initial attempts at landing seem to be yet another case of a pilot over-controlling an AS350, look at the oscillations when he/she initially tries to put it down. If I may be so bold as to offer some advice, slow it down people! If it feels bad (and those oscillations would have felt terrible inside the cockpit), pick it up, compose yourself, go around if need be, try again if possible or abort, before YOU have pushed the aircraft to a point beyond recovery.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Jan 25 2016, 04:54

Well said Captain.
Looked untidy right from the start and kept at it.
Hard way to learn a lesson.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Mon Jan 25 2016, 21:24

What a pity that went wrong, looked like it was down just before it went pear shaped. You would think that a person flying that machine would have a boat load of landing experience and know the signs, in fact I would hope that a relatively low hour pilot would not make that error. It almost looked like they wanted to adjust the landing or move it slightly whilst still down just prior to the rollover, which of course can be bad news on anything other than a nice flat slab unless you pick it up properly and then put it down again.

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”