LAME Required - TDCHOPPERS??

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

LAME Required - TDCHOPPERS??

Postby choppermech1986 » Thu Aug 6 2015, 23:54

LAME Required
Postby TDCHOPPERS » Wed Aug 5 2015, 10:21
Full time position is available on the NSW South Coast for a Licenced Airframe & Engine Aircraft Engineer to carry out unsupervised scheduled and unscheduled maintenance activities both at our facility and in the field.
Must have the following qualifications
FAA Licence (10 yrs experience)
AMP - Inspection Authorisation
UH-1H (Airframe)
T53 Series Engine
AS350/Arriel 1D1 Airframe/Engine
R44 and R22
Well developed written and verbal communication skills
Microsoft Office Skills
Closing date for applications 14th August, 2015

1. Can anyone tell me what an AMP - Inspection Authorisation is? Is it similar to the spelling error of the pilot who had experience flying in P&G? Rhetorical question, bear with me here.

2. Why would an Australian helicopter company need an engineer with an FAA License (with 10 years experience?) Again, bear with me.

3. I'm thinking that engineers of this calibre (I say that knowing that you can get an FAA license out of a cereal box) aren't just sitting around waiting for a job like this to appear, so why the August 14th deadline?

My point is, I've seen this kind of job advert (with questionable requirements) posted before and it's been to get around the foreign worker visa requirements. I sincerely hope that in this instance, it's just an extremely poorly worded advertisement, written by somebody with no idea about how the AME licensing system works in Australia of the USA.

Lastly, why can't we reply to a post in Engineers Required like we can to Pilots Required?
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: LAME Required - TDCHOPPERS??

Postby bangequalsbad » Fri Aug 7 2015, 00:38

choppermech1986 wrote:1. Can anyone tell me what an AMP - Inspection Authorisation is? Is it similar to the spelling error of the pilot who had experience flying in P&G? Rhetorical question, bear with me here.

2. Why would an Australian helicopter company need an engineer with an FAA License (with 10 years experience?) Again, bear with me.

3. I'm thinking that engineers of this calibre (I say that knowing that you can get an FAA license out of a cereal box) aren't just sitting around waiting for a job like this to appear, so why the August 14th deadline?

My point is, I've seen this kind of job advert (with questionable requirements) posted before and it's been to get around the foreign worker visa requirements. I sincerely hope that in this instance, it's just an extremely poorly worded advertisement, written by somebody with no idea about how the AME licensing system works in Australia of the USA.

Lastly, why can't we reply to a post in Engineers Required like we can to Pilots Required?

1-Airframe,M?(Mechanical maybe?) and Powerplant inspection authorisation perhaps...but in general I thought an AMP was the same as a LAME.
2-A) Because they have a "N" registered machine and are probably running it on the US maintenance schedule...
B) Because they offer firefighting services and you want somebody (perhaps 10 years is the magic number) who knows how to fix the machine quickly and have a solid knowledge of operating systems for speedy problem solving and fault finding...
3-Maybe (like the people required to drive the UH series machines) they are coming off the northern season and looking for these jobs?
4?-In summary...the requirements are "specific"...but not really "questionable". I doubt it was written by somebody of the above questioned skills. Considering the company operates a variety of equipment both VH and N registered shows they probably have a firm grasp on the maintenance of both countries.
5-Pass...ADMINS!

Banger.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Fri Aug 7 2015, 01:21

1. It's A&P, Airframe and Powerplant.
2. A. I can't find any reference to TD running an N registered machine. Maybe you're much closer to the source than I am? What are they operating? Their website doesn't say anything.
B. Fair enough, I still think it's a strange requirement targeting a specific person.
3. The northern season is still well and truly cranking, let me assure you.
4. I suppose time will tell here, I just wanted to bring to peoples attention the odd requirements that are in this advertisement that to me, reek of a foreign worker visa.

Do you work for them Banger?
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Fri Aug 7 2015, 03:41

I've heard from reliable sources that Touchdown Helicopters at Wollongong have bought a couple of Blackhawks (ex National Guard?) for fire work. And there are almost certainly 2 more Blackhawks coming, also for the fires but to a different NSW based operator.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Fri Aug 7 2015, 06:48

Hey Dauphin, that'd make sense re: the N registered machines and need for the A&P licensed engineer. I can't see anyone going to the hassle of going through the first of type rigamarole putting a -60 on the Australian register.

Although I know a few guys who meet the requirements, none of those guys have -60 experience (and certainly none want to chase helicopters around during the summer) hence why I think they've got a special someone in mind. I also note that nowhere in the ad do they ask for a CASA Part 66 license.

I see that Jason has been working on getting his Helitak tank fitted to a -60 recently so I'm guessing that's the equipment they (or the others) will be using.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Mon Dec 7 2015, 03:53

http://helihub.com/2014/03/13/dyncorp-t ... australia/

I thought I'd follow up on this. I could be wrong but I don't think I was too far off the mark. Does anyone know where the successful candidate (if there was one) was sourced from and whether they required the Temporary Work Visa?

Bangers...?

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”