CEP eartips - Interested?

Got something to sell? List it here for free.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

CEP eartips - Interested?

Postby helothere » Thu Aug 13 2009, 01:54

I'm considering getting a bulk order of CEP eartips for the bladeslapper shop. Sell price about $25 for 6 pairs plus postage. Before I go ahead I'd like to see a bit of interest and preferred size, standard or slim.

Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: CEP eartips - Interested?

Postby Heli » Thu Aug 13 2009, 03:17

Standard for me :wink:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Aug 13 2009, 07:15

What are they.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Aug 13 2009, 07:49

Have tried standard, they were very tight and I would like to try some slim to compare.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Thu Aug 13 2009, 07:54

Is there a company in Australia that I could send my Helmet to get this CEP thing fitted and a rough cost would be good to know?

I use ANR at the moment but I am told CEP is better, any opinions? the ANR is good but I really would like to cut the some more noise out if possible. Industrial deafness reared its ugly head on my last medical.
Last edited by Ray McCooney on Thu Aug 13 2009, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Thu Aug 13 2009, 08:12

Same as CY, the standards gave me sore ears, so I wouldn't mind trying the slim.

Ray, They are dead easy to fit. If you can use a soldering iron it will take you about half an hour http://cep-usa.com/id28.htm gives you a fitting guide. It's for a Gentex, but the procedure is fairly generic for any helmet or headset. If you're not comfortable to do it yourself, your nearest engineer will probably do it for beer.

HIP, quite simply, they are earplugs with tiny speakers in them. What you see in the picture is just the tips which attach to the speakers and wires. The ear tips go in the obvious place, and are then connected to a plug in the side of your helmet/headset, which is piggybacked into one of your main speakers. They offer incredible passive noise attenuation, with excellent clarity trough the radio. The kit costs about $120. Have a look athttp://cep-usa.com

Cheers, MD

pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Thu Aug 13 2009, 09:00

Some of the advantages over ANR are that CEP creates a physical barrier preventing damaging frequencies reaching the inner ear, rather than ANR trying (and often failing) to cancel out all frequencies found bouncing around in the cockpit. It's simple to use, no batteries etc, and even if something does go wrong, the speaker in the helmet/headset is still operative.

I use the slims and find them very comfortable. I've used CEP in an Alpha for 3 years+ with no problems, no headaches and no buying 9v batteries after every flight!

An Australian supplier would be very handy, if only I hadn't recently purchased my annual supply from the US!

P1
heli_79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby heli_79 » Thu Aug 13 2009, 11:21

Thanks for the info MD. Any ideas for a dealer in NZ/Australia?

I think I'd prefer slim than to standard.

cheers :wink:
Up, Up and away we go!
phugoyd

Slim For Me

Postby phugoyd » Thu Aug 13 2009, 11:31

I have used them also for three years in an Alpha, i use the slim and they do the job well. I used to have great difficulty hearing HF but not any more, well thats when HF is playing the game.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Thu Aug 13 2009, 11:54

I could grab you a set when I place the order for the tips if you want '79, straight from the source. Let me know here or PM.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Thu Aug 13 2009, 14:17

As far as I know, apart from what Helo is putting together, there are no distributors in Oz. Generally, the easiest thing is to send them an email (details on the website) requesting what you want with prices. They generally come back to you fairly quickly. You can then either fax them an order with your cc details, or what I do is send them two emails with half my cc details on each. I'm not sure if this is anymore secure, but I'm told it is.

Now here's the the thing, you will receive no further correspondence from them either acknowledging receipt of the order or confirming the dispatch of the parts. Rest assured that it will have been processed and you will see it in the mail in 10-14 days, sometimes less.

There are a few retail distributors in the U.S like http://www.flightsuits.com, but they tend to whack a fairly hefty mark up on what is easy enough to get from CEP directly.

Cheers, MD
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Fri Aug 14 2009, 07:37

I have just briefly read the instructions and are you guys drilling the holes in the side of your helmet or using some other method? I use a Gallet and I am not sure about drilling holes in it.

Cheers
Last edited by Ray McCooney on Fri Aug 14 2009, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
edgebreak
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby edgebreak » Fri Aug 14 2009, 08:01

Hi fellas,
I have seen a hand drawn wiring diagram for installing a volume switch with the CEP system on the internet but cannot now find it. A volume switch is handy for multi crew situations where the old guys have not had CEP installed.
If anyone has the info, would you mind sharing it here or pm.

Thanks
eb
heli_79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby heli_79 » Fri Aug 14 2009, 09:25

Helothere check your PM's

Thanks for the info MD. Quite expensive little bit of kit eh?

Have talked to another fellow pilot and he has mentioned an Australian website -[url]www.helicopterhelmet.com.au Have a look.

Food for thought,

cheers
Paul(heli_79)
Up, Up and away we go!
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Fri Aug 14 2009, 10:31

Here's my Gallet setup.

Here's a quick circuit diagram for edge. The pot (potentiometer) is viewed from above. I used a 5k linear wire wound pot. It was from Dick Smith (one that still sells parts!). I cut the arm off short with a hacksaw as I didn't want a big black knob hanging from my ear.

I've had some interest for the CEP kits (socket, wire and earplugs). Is anyone else interested in a kit? I'd sell them for a very reasonable price.

Update: CEP kits and volume controls available here - http://www.bladeslapper.com.au Please note that this is not the place to which Mongrel Dog is referring in the post below!
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Fri Aug 14 2009, 11:07

No worries.

Had a look at the CEP prices on the website you suggested and nearly choked on my beer. I know that the dollar isn't what it was, but that's a fairly hefty markup! That said, it has been a few years since I bought my kit.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Fri Aug 14 2009, 11:34

We use to run CEP now we have MEP with ANR in the headset, its seems to make a difference, but i still receive i high pitch wine from the transmison in differnt machines.
Any you guys use the MEPs, interested to know which is the better system.

Cheers
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sat Aug 15 2009, 09:49

Thanks to those who have responded. I have ordered both sizes, slim and standard. They will be available from the shop as soon as I receive them. Heli_79 I have ordered a kit for you.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Aug 15 2009, 11:03

i run CEP with volume control in my Alpha and i retro fitted the Aero hush kit after the standard hard cups were to tight. its bloody beautiful to wear now. CEP is great for turbines, then just wear Bose for piston work.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Sat Aug 15 2009, 21:40

Couple of points:

SETS supply and fit CEP, for those who don't want to hack into their bone domes.

ANR is fairly (read: extremely!) useless in doors off/high ambient noise environment. It just can't cope with the noise, and is therefore hopeless in fire fighting, sling, filming, etc. CEP has no issues with these ops, and works regardless. I also have read some reports that although ANR gives "no noise" by creating counter noise to blank out what's coming in, it is still effectively pounding your ear drum with sound waves, and as such, may still cause long term damage. The jury is still out, but it is worth considering.

Return to “For Sale”