Re: Sling Job Gone Wrong

Postby Evil Twin » Wed May 14 2014, 11:55

Holy s#!t!!!!
The Scarlett Harlot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Scarlett Harlot » Wed May 14 2014, 12:09

I find it disturbing that the video person has assumed that the pilot is male. Why can't girls have a sling job go wrong too?

All that aside, relief that all ended without accident or injury.
RealityCheck
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RealityCheck » Wed May 14 2014, 13:00

Maybe leave the long lining to the professionals?
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Wed May 14 2014, 13:12

So for the uneducated and stupid ( thats me), what could have gone wrong .I.Why would the drop zone be so far away from the job.Is there an emergency release of the load if required ??Were they concrete tanks ?Do they have to report this mishap to CASA ?….KN
The Collective
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Collective » Wed May 14 2014, 16:46

Descending fairly quickly with a heavy load, at low forward speed and with the wind up his bum... I wonder if they ever managed to punch the line off, too bad the video cuts out.
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Wed May 14 2014, 16:52

Thats what happens when you pull to much power. Usually from using to small a helicopter to do a precision lift job......
Jamienz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jamienz » Wed May 14 2014, 22:16

Cranedriver wrote:Maybe followed up with some Brown Ring State ;)

haha gold
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Wed May 14 2014, 22:41

I know the driver , very experienced guy on the line! From your neck of the woods 100' if it is who I think it is!

Maybe leave the long lining to the professionals?

How many 1000's of hrs on the line do you need then to be a "professional" :roll:
Redlining in neutral
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 2.2 » Wed May 14 2014, 23:12

the job ended up a success and the pilot is very experienced at lifting operations.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Wed May 14 2014, 23:42

With a rotor system not much bigger then a 500 i guess thats why you dont usually see a 900 slinging.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Wed May 14 2014, 23:47

I think there only about 20 odd hook kits made for them.

Worked next to one in Canada moving drills. Cool bit of gear in the bush!
Redlining in neutral
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu May 15 2014, 00:06

Cranedriver wrote:
RealityCheck wrote:Maybe leave the long lining to the professionals?

Agreed!!

You make one mistake and you're no longer classified as professional? Is that the inference here?

I'm assuming that you must know the full background of the company, the aircraft and pilot, job details etc in order to cast such an aspersion.

It always amazes me how quick an unfortunate minority element within the industry are to denegrate fellow industry participants and throw stones from their glass houses. Tsk tsk.
Low500
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Low500 » Thu May 15 2014, 00:35

Thanks FF was just thinking the same thing...
Had a similar scenario years ago, nothing so high profile as I was out bush shifting equipment. No one around and could of never said anything about it.
But the first thing I did was call my CP and discuss the event.

Just because someone made an error doesn't make them unprofessional. I bet there is not one person who flys on this forum that hasn't made an error whilst flying..

Think about That before you throw stones in the cockpit....
wocawoca
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby wocawoca » Thu May 15 2014, 00:46

Instrument panel is lit up like a xmas tree.
Granny
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Granny » Thu May 15 2014, 01:06

I actually think the guy did a decent job-obviously it swapped ends and he hung onto it and it ended in the drink, but given what he had to work with -it could have be worse. Should have just flown it faster-the load flew well and could have handled a bunch more speed-I would have chucked another 50 feet of line on as well
coptathat
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby coptathat » Thu May 15 2014, 02:12

Low500,
I think you'll find a lot if the people posting on here have never made a mistake flying. You actually have to have done some flying to make a mistake.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Thu May 15 2014, 02:59

Go to 1:36, look at the line and check how much wind he's got up his tail for the approach. Unfortunately for a sea breeze, it looks like that route was about his only option to keep from going over a populated area so he didn't have a lot up his sleeve.

Can anyone tell me why the huge, apparent loss of control when the load hits the water?

These mistakes are usually made in the middle of some random National Park with just the wallabies watching. Glad it all ended okay. **^**
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu May 15 2014, 06:09

Chppermech, as an attempt at being an arm chair expert...
My guess as to why the nose pitched up was a number of reasons. Think AeroD. He had turned into wind at that moment, there is less weight under the blades (load in the water, line slack) and the nose was the first part of the disk to get lift. If we had seen the rest of it, I think it would've stablised very quickly.

I also think there was a moment of VRS as he transited downwind, but you only need the disk to move a rotor diameter and you are out of the descending air. The pilot did a good job and was helped by some luck. The same wind that made it hard work, also saved him, moving that downward/VRS air behind and away from the disk that's why he faced into wind for each pick up and put down.

The loss of weight is the equivalent of lowering the collective to escape VRS, less pitch required for the weight being flown.

The descending air moving behind, coupled with the load no longer adding weight is what did the trick.

poppet of a spot to do the job, but that's why he earns the big bucks.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “Video Clips”