Emergency landing in Hollywood parking lot!

Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Emergency landing in Hollywood parking lot!

Postby Capt Hollywood » Tue Aug 28 2012, 12:18

Edited : Original video I posted was removed, a few more have sprung up on Youtube.

[youtube]M04EXGnaiwo[/youtube]
[youtube]GpCZaRHIkzA[/youtube]
[youtube]dxSNOCSkHnQ[/youtube]

Other link here.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/losangelesc ... 05636.html
Last edited by Capt Hollywood on Tue Aug 28 2012, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.
Iceman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Emergency landing in Hollywood parking lot!

Postby Iceman » Tue Aug 28 2012, 12:45

Looks like a bellows seal, gone, lots of smoke burning oil etc.? :o
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Tue Aug 28 2012, 21:03

UnObvious wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/watch-a-news-helicopter-emergency-landing-hollywood-covering-shotgun-rampage-article-1.1146068

Dramatic film.
A question, any suppression system used in these as it looked like the smoke stopped quite quickly? Is there a risk of making a fire potentially worse by opening the cowling or is there already lots of air circulating around the turbine casing? I have been taught to not open up any access hatches etc in possible engine fires (fire fighting training for choppers crashing on the decks of ships!).
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Aug 28 2012, 21:07

never saw the video, but the helicopters ive been involved with have that many vent holes in the cowls that opening them wouldnt make any difference to the airflow around a fire.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Tue Aug 28 2012, 22:45

Bump.

I've updated my original post with some additional footage after the first video was removed by Youtube.
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Wed Aug 29 2012, 00:01

Zebt wrote:
UnObvious wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/watch-a-news-helicopter-emergency-landing-hollywood-covering-shotgun-rampage-article-1.1146068

Dramatic film.
A question, any suppression system used in these as it looked like the smoke stopped quite quickly? Is there a risk of making a fire potentially worse by opening the cowling or is there already lots of air circulating around the turbine casing? I have been taught to not open up any access hatches etc in possible engine fires (fire fighting training for choppers crashing on the decks of ships!).

Good point Zebt. I entered an engineroom where minor oil spray onto a very hot machine had registered a fire-alarm. The door through which I gained access was 15m away from the machine & provided enough additional oxygen that the resulting fireball threw me backwards.

BTW thanks for posting the videos CH.

Return to “Video Clips”