Hmmm... R44s racing in the Southern 80 now?

Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Hmmm... R44s racing in the Southern 80 now?

Postby Kwyjibo » Wed Apr 20 2011, 03:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7FSCT5dwg

Pilot's comments during interview with CASA....

"Ahhhhhhh......

so Im supposed to keep operations OUT of the shaded areas...... :shock:
That makes a lot more sense...."
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Wed Apr 20 2011, 11:56

I think the female voice in the last vid sums it up, "...look how close he gets to the water. All he needs is a boat to come around the corner..."
Having flown at the Mildura 100 in the past and helped with loading at the Southern 80, I know how much fun it can be.
BUT a professional pilot shouldn't get lost in the moment.
The idea of chasing boats and filming is a good one and good on those that get the gig, but don't stuff it up for the rest of us who want to continue to make a living out of flying.

An R44 is a fair choice for this as they have a good speed for doors off ops compared to a Jetranger or AS350, but the best aircraft is useless when flown dangerously. Even with the doors on we struggled to keep up with the fastest boats like Hellrazor (Hellbent back then), etc in a B206. But I also flew within the limits.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Helichat

Postby Helichat » Thu Apr 21 2011, 01:29

Hello Guys,

Just letting you know the operator had all necessary CASA low flying, race/regatta approvals to film from the R44 for the 2011 Southern 80 as they did at the 2010 Southern 80.

The footage will screen on SBS in the coming months or can be purchased from the Moama Water Sports Club once edited for sale.

Sadly, the helicopter industry can be its own worst enemy. Why make wild comments potentially damaging this industry without knowing the facts?
:cool_dc:
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Apr 21 2011, 02:34

I don't think anyone doubted he had approvals to fly low to film, but that doesn't excuse the way he went about flying to obtain that film. Fair bit of showing off seemed to be involved that was certainly not for the camera in the chopper's benefit (IMHO), there was no reason to be that low to obtain ski shots, I noticed another chopper filming that was quite a bit higher? fact is the pilot would have looked very silly with his rotor blades sticking out of the river had his engine quit while he was that low. The high angle dives into the river risking mast bumping? the Torque turn and then flying back to hover in front of the crowd for applause? Fair enough you are employed to fly low to do a job, that doesn't mean it can't be done safely and within the limits of the machine. It is pilots who fly like this that give the industry a bad name and make the rest of us have to work twice as hard to make the public see us in a good and above all SAFE light. rant over.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 21 2011, 02:45

pegs, have you flown film ops before? If you have you'd understand why that operator was doing what he/she was doing. Granted there may be a little showing off however if they have all the relative approvals then is they spear in, it's only going to be into the water.

Generally speaking when you obtain casa permission to film those types of ski/boat events, low level ops are approved overwater away from spectators.

** By the way I don't have an opinion one way or the other, also I don't even know who the operator is nor do I really care.. Looking at the footage though you could probably have got within at least %98 of shots they were getting but in a safer flight regime.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Apr 21 2011, 08:14

fair call Havic, No I have not flown film opps, but I still hold the opinion that the film could have been obtained at a safer level of flight. The showing off was what really turned me off altogether, pilot seemed more intent on pleasing the crowd and playing "Maverick" then doing his/her job. Done plenty of mustering at low level however, and my opinion is if you don't have to be there then don't. Why push the line? Its not a matter of if something goes wrong its when. Just another person who does little to enhance the reputation of helicopters to the general public.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Thu Apr 21 2011, 09:23

Hi CY heli
Not sure I read your comment correct, but an AS 350 be a better platform then the 44,(mind you I cant really comment on the 44 as never flown one) you have the speed, lot more grunt down low,and far more agile where you really need it like along the Murray river.

BS
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Apr 21 2011, 13:06

I'm either dumb or confused. How could CASA give an approval to fly so low, below the tree line? That's where the cables are isn't it. How would he know that someone hasn't rigged a temporary cable to hang a camera off just for the event? I though the cameras they used were so good that they could be half a mile away and still see the eyelashes. If his engine stopped or he suddenly wanted to slow down for some reason surely his tail must hit the water, and then somersault into the creek, making great danger with flying debirs for anyone standing on the banks nearby. Wouldn't the race organisers be contacted by CASA regarding low flying / filming permits and copyrights, who is allowed to etc? Don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I think someoen else mught be stuck in the mud with that carry on.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 21 2011, 14:43

Edited..

Were they flying unsafely, maybe. Were they flying illegally, who knows.

All of the above, who cares.

CASA, doesn't do anything these days. In more recent times I've stopped concerning myself as to what other operators get upto, hopefully they dont hurt or kill a member of the public or themselves in the meantime.
Last edited by havick on Thu Apr 21 2011, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.
bluecollarwallah
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bluecollarwallah » Thu Apr 21 2011, 20:27

hey mod

you might want to move this thread to p prune
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 21 2011, 22:24

bluecollarwallah wrote:hey mod

you might want to move this thread to p prune

Or Operah.
Skywork
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Skywork » Thu Apr 21 2011, 22:26

Dont know why every one is worried about what another operator is doing, he does not make the industry look bad, he just makes other operators look good, and things like this is what sets operators apart.These days when the general public see different operators do the these types of ops and different events
they get to know who the professional ones are. As for approvals, this operation comes under Aerial work and as long as you have filming/photography on your AOC and also have a low flying instrument you can go as low as deemed required so long as you are not endangering people or property, Wires, its like spraying a paddock, check it out from all angles in you preparation before you enter the wire environment or area of operation, and then you can complete your operation with your mind at rest, nothing worse than tearing down a paddock or river wondering if there are wires down where you are, as for the qaulity of the film thats a different story but if the Moama club that runs this event is happy with what they get at that level and want to sacafice a better qaulity film for the sake of 150 feet well thats there right as they are paying the bill. Now everyone should get on with life and worry about more important things like is the Easter Bunny going to deliver all his easter eggs on time.
Scoop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Scoop » Thu Apr 21 2011, 22:40

The operator is really a nobody in the Vic/Melb heli scene and has a bunch a rookie pilots. Muscled their way in a couple of years ago and even went to some lengths over the past couple years to force others out. Complaining to the Race ornganiser who goes running to council. Good luck to them getting into other Vic events that require heli registration.

8)
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Thu Apr 21 2011, 23:41

As skywork said, if you have the approvals then below 500 ft is below 500 ft, doesn't matter if its 2 ft, still legal. Also if you look at what he is doing in relation to the H/V diagram then he is not really in any more danger than if he was in the slower shaded area. A lot of film work takes place in the slower shaded area, and this guys just in the faster shaded area. If the engine stops then his chances of getting down are just as slim as if he where at 200 ft and 20 knots. A lot of us spend a lot of our day in the slow shaded area, everyones just alarmed because this guy's out the other side.
Don't get me wrong though, I think the pilots an idiot too. Got to be a better way to do that.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Apr 22 2011, 21:57

Too low, too fast, legal, illegal, as has been said, none of that really matters as all these clips show is a too poorly supervised, unprofessional, and stupid, braindead at the controlls.

Well done to both the operator and the fool in the helicopter you make others look GOOD. If I was the cheif pilot, the clown would be walking away from the hangar, unemployed before the rotors stopped spinning.

And as far as the "before the rotors stopped spinning" comment, someone who flys like that isn't going to wait for the rotors to stop before he gets out of the machine.............
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Fri Apr 22 2011, 23:29

you make others look GOOD.

I don't know if joe public can tell the difference. The normal tourist on the bank of the murray might be the same normal tourist at Hayman Island, who says to the next tourist and so on, 'bugger flying with them I saw them coming out of the sky like a stuka in overdrive down south'. There's nothing like a know it all tourist to spread the word.

I remember being told a story about Ernie Power up in Brisbane. years ago. He started a big advertising program to promote his beer, the competition did nothing but noticed a big increase in their sales too.
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Kulwin Park » Sat Apr 23 2011, 00:19

Good on the Operator for getting the gig! Some great flying, and obviously the pilot has some skill and balls that some of us wish we had, or were doing when taking our passengers for a ride! Have you not ever thought of "Flying Map of the Earth" ??!! Saying taken from a film I can't remember...

If it was intended to get footage that low, then I could see a chase boat with a high mounted stabilisation camera may have been better, since it would have been a solid angle and panoramic views as well.

There is nothing wrong with a little showing off to come back and salute the crowd who is enjoying the performance, whether it be from the boat racing or camera filming. 90% of the comments and WOW factor may have even got more people interested in flying, and willing to jump in the wockers with us. Secret jealously I suspect of many, wanting to be in the chopper.

Yes the bad publicity can damage the industry, but the flying looked like well executed Top Gun moves, and maybe if the fact of engine failure may occur that everyone raves on about, the operator should be wearing life vests, personal ELB strapped to them, and maybe have floats fitted to the skids.

Let's be serious and realistic. Safety concerns would have been addressed by CASA prior to approval. Well done. But maybe a few things may have to be sorted out. 8)

PS - back where 4 Videos were posted, the 2nd one showed the 44 banking in front of the skiers - don't think that was very good distracting the skiers.
Scoop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Scoop » Sat Apr 23 2011, 00:51

Kulwin Park wrote: "Flying Map of the Earth" ??!!

Sorry to correct you but should it be "Nap-of-the-earth" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nap-of-the-earth

Scoop :)
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Apr 23 2011, 01:23

why the hell didi they label it "NAP" was the author dislexic and cood'nt spel.......

probably submitted the article and forgot to spell check... DOH!
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Sat Apr 23 2011, 02:30

I'm with HIP - hope the chap is on the dole looking for his next job!

Return to “Video Clips”