Aft mounted Video Camera

heli_79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Aft mounted Video Camera

Postby heli_79 » Wed Nov 4 2009, 09:08

Has anyone used or tried mounting a very small video camera to the tailboom/vertical fin/horizontal fin to film the aircraft flying but with the camera pionting forward? I have found a small camera but am not sure if it would work and the issues around it.
Certianly vibration/drag/weight/cables/power are some issues but have found quite small cameras mounted on rally cars that obsorb high stress with vibration,g forces and different types of weather seems to work o.k. but having it mounted to a AS350 or MD500 is another kettle of fish.

I stumbled across a website that sells smaller cameras http://www.actionvideocams.com/

Any thoughts, ideas or leads? :?
Up, Up and away we go!
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Aft mounted Video Camera

Postby wheatbix » Wed Nov 4 2009, 09:26

One of the aircraft I used to fly had a small pinhole camera securely attached to the horizontal stabilizer and the wiring run up through the inside of the tailboom. Worked a treat!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Nov 4 2009, 11:20

Australian agents:
http://www.launchhelmetcams.com/fully-integrated/pov1.5

There could possibly be certification / EO issues for permanently mounted ones. I once flew an ex Blue Hawaiian AS350, it had several permanent cameras all over it and a boot full of VCRs.

See Skypig ride – “Pig cam” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7iHolLbPSQ 8)
wyldman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wyldman » Wed Nov 4 2009, 12:51

SkyPig,

Loved the video, nothing better than motards. Best of both styles. What you riding, 450?

WM
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Nov 4 2009, 13:08

heli -79 if your keen. speak to Mark Fitzsimmons from blue sky in sydney has it installed on his 206. check his website under "helicam"

you can ask him if your desperate for info.
heli_79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby heli_79 » Wed Nov 4 2009, 19:07

Thanks fellows. Some interesting bit's of kit.

Weatbix - Could you PM me with your details about the Aircraft described(Aircraft type and Operator) please?

Bladepitch - Could you PM me any details on how to contact Mark?

Sky Pig - Yeah, not sure about the legal stuff but our LAME thinks one could attempt it with little hassle. Love the wheelie down the main street!

Some new cameras transmit the images/data to a SD card which then can be transferred to a portable USB stick either by cable or by wireless. But with high vibration and noise by the tail rotor not sure if the images/data would come out o.k.

CAA and CASA aren't very helpful )c/
Up, Up and away we go!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Nov 4 2009, 23:17

It’s a KTM 525. (54hp, but it turns out I was over revving it at that meeting) :idea:

CAA and CASA aren't very helpful

I think this is chiselled in stone and enshrined in legislation. Oc:=

The helmet cam I have records onto a video camera – I think most now use HDD (The digital camera option is still the highest quality I believe)
flyguy101
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyguy101 » Wed Nov 4 2009, 23:32

I know that channel 9 Sydney have one mounted in the tail or stabaliser, they use it in a promo a while back VH-TCN. The traffic chpper WYS has one too. from memory the one on TCN is mounted off the red nav light. make sure a LAME installs it. it is a great shot if you can organise it.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Thu Nov 5 2009, 11:52

The original 12 Apostles Helicopters had them in the 206 , 120 and 350 , the later version on the SD card better quality then the old VHS.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Thu Nov 5 2009, 13:22

Back in the good old days we looked at fitting cameras to the EC130 I flew. As we were going to do it from new the quote approached $100,000.00!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The reason? They had to test all the equipment to ensure it wouldn't interfere with the FADEC. Eurocopter won't even fit a Bluetooth kit to an aircraft with FADEC in case an errant signal tells the engine to do something abnormal! On top of that they had to get EO's to allow them to modify the various panels/structures to fit the cameras.

We also got a quote for an auto pilot : $300,000.00

We didn't do either.

CH 8)
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Fri Nov 6 2009, 04:36

Back in the good old days we looked at fitting cameras to the EC130 I flew

What a shame you didn't get them, then you could have posted more photos of you, from even more angles! :wink:

P1
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Nov 6 2009, 08:24

:cry: :cry:
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Fri Nov 6 2009, 16:07

skypig wrote:...See Skypig ride – “Pig cam” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7iHolLbPSQ 8)

That's nice Piggy but why is it that everyone else is going so much faster than you? Oh wait, no, you nearly passed someone! :P

Return to “Video Clips”