Re: Mustering

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Sep 9 2015, 11:11

Amazing. That he is still alive.
Oldtimer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Sep 9 2015, 13:28

Would somebody explain to me why you need to fly like that yarding up I am amazed this pilot is still alive flying like that when there is no need
CCAco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CCAco » Wed Sep 9 2015, 14:23

You cannot see what's happening back there from the video. Hard for anyone to make a comment if you cannot see what's going on. I would say there was a reason for it.
The Collective
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Collective » Wed Sep 9 2015, 16:10

In my experience, quite often the reason is the camera....
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Wed Sep 9 2015, 22:28

CCAco wrote:You cannot see what's happening back there from the video. Hard for anyone to make a comment if you cannot see what's going on. I would say there was a reason for it.

Would you feel the same way if it was your 22 back there getting flown like that?

Unfortunately it is displays like this that give all mustering pilots a bad name and it's made it hard for a few mates of mine with high mustering hours to break into commercial work. Not through lack of skill or professionalism...just from clips like this.

Banger.
CCAco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CCAco » Wed Sep 9 2015, 22:53

How do you know that it's not my helicopter?
Could be me flying it,
Could be on my property,
Could be my cattle,

Like I was saying, you don't know that just like you cannot see what the issue is back there. Hard to comment on it really.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Thu Sep 10 2015, 00:42

CCAco wrote:How do you know that it's not my helicopter?
Could be me flying it,
Could be on my property,
Could be my cattle,

Nice knowing you.

Banger.
CCAco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CCAco » Thu Sep 10 2015, 01:26

you don't know me banger
Doubt you know much about this topic anyway.
Oldtimer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Sep 10 2015, 03:40

Having done that type of work for little while I can't remember a single time that sort of flying is needed it is dangerous for both the pilot and the people on the ground and "nothing that we cannot see" would justify that sort of flying
CCAco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CCAco » Thu Sep 10 2015, 04:17

Pretty good bet there is not staff on the ground there oldtimer. I am sure that in your experience you would have had some tough days while mustering. i still think it's far to easy to have an opinion without having all the info.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Thu Sep 10 2015, 06:30

Link not available anymore.
Anyone copy it?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Thu Sep 10 2015, 10:52

ozloadie wrote:Link not available anymore.
Anyone copy it?

Try this one instead...

https://www.facebook.com/CattleStationP ... =2&theater
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Fri Sep 11 2015, 02:51

Got it, thanks for that.
More driving than flying!

I wonder how many know about the NME profile - no margin for error.

Wouldn't a siren on the quad have done the trick with a lot less cost, risk, wear and tear?

It doesn't take a lot to work out if you increase the number of opportunities to bend it, it's not a matter of "if'" anymore; even at the last moment, why is it required to get out of the cockpit while still running?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
Birdy
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Birdy » Fri Sep 11 2015, 05:29

It would be interesting to see the vid, to see wot the fuss is about.
If its anythn like the one Zeus posted, id hardly call it dangerous, for somome who knows wot they are do,n.

Magion for error depends on both the pilots and machines abilitis/limitations.
I never expect to be able to do wot sumone with more abilities dose.
And i dont call him dangerous coz i cant/wont do it.
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Fri Sep 11 2015, 05:57

I want to make it clear I hold know judgement on these videos I found them interesting and posted them. I am from an outback cattle station environment and witnessed Heli mustering all the time. A lot of those pilots I wouldn't think twice about getting in with and would trust my life in their hands.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what industry you are in, you will always have a few who push the boundaries.
macca01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby macca01 » Sat Sep 12 2015, 02:12

If you have never had anything to do with mustering a very small percentage of the work done may appear to be a bit crazy.
There's only one person on board so the machine is well within it's limits, as stated above,some give others a bad name.
Robinsons will move a lot faster than most people realise, the pilot isn't necessarily doing it to show off to the camera, they are simply moving the noise of the machine to where it needs to be to influence the cattle.

Some cattle are harder to move than others for different reasons, if the cattle are moving forward in the right direction then the helicopter can stay at 1500' and watch, if they stop then you have to get them to move again, if they start going backwards it can normally be traced to a error of some sort by the pilot or ground crew but they may be hard to stop, depending on the cattle and how they have been bred and raised.

In some cases the only way to move them is to resort to low flying and moving around fast to cover more animals, this is relatively rare but is often captured by the cameras as it makes for good action shots and hence easy criticism by people who are not familiar with it, just because it may look unprofessional to many pilots doesn't mean it is dangerous or unnecessary.

Of course there will be some who push things and make a good show for the cameras....but unless you are there it's probably not your place to judge.

Andrew McClymont
Birdy
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Birdy » Sat Sep 12 2015, 09:51

Your spoton Macca, afterall, why would anyone post a vid off95% of mustern?
Be boreing as batsh1t.
Of course they will only show the more exciting 5%, its wot people are interested in.

Any pilot that has stock in hand and puts on a show coz theres a camera there will never get a repeat job.
The job comes first.
If that means puttn round at 300' all day, then thats where youll find him.
If the pilot radios to all ground crew to get outa my way, get out, coz its go,n to get noisey, and he dont need the saftey of others to hinder wot he needs to do to get the job dun.
Solong as he respects the machines limitations, theres no real hazard.

Return to “Video Clips”