CAREFUL WHEN POSTING

Notice To All BladeSlappers
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

CAREFUL WHEN POSTING

Postby helothere » Wed Jul 6 2011, 06:45

Reproduced with permission from an email recently distributed by the AFAP. A timely reminder...

On 5/07/11 7:02 AM, AFAP Communications wrote:
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS TO BE CAREFUL WHEN POSTING ON THE NET

With so many issues currently affecting Australian pilots it is easy to become over-enthusiastic about what you post on the net.

You are however accountable for any information which you post. Where false, disparaging or slanderous material is posted, you run the risk of legal action being taken against you by the offended party.

Even when you post on a site closed to public access or under a pseudonym you may not be immune from action. There have been a number of cases where the website administrators have been required to provide details of the blogger (such as their name and IP address).

Aviation companies and executives are particularly sensitive to having their brand or reputation questioned and we ask all members to consider carefully what they post on the net. If you are unsure, please feel free to contact the AFAP office on (03) 9928 5737 to get a second opinion.

Regards,
AFAP Communications

As a side note, BS has been required to provide post details on several occassions, all for slanderous content.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: CAREFUL WHEN POSTING

Postby Queestce » Wed Jul 6 2011, 07:54

Great info Helo. The few demeaning computer desk pilots that post here who think they can hide behind a username are in for a big surprise! It's not so hard to track someone down from a username...
TheDevilsAdvocate

Postby TheDevilsAdvocate » Wed Jul 6 2011, 09:04

It is easy isnt Queestce, although the disparaging remark about desk pilots probably isnt called for given your own situation....

Helothere, I hate to be the devils advocate but may I respectfully point out that with a category called "Rumors, News & Stories" with over 570 topics and over 6000 posts, bladeslapper could be seen to be actually encouraging people to post "rumors" and "rumors" by their very nature can unwittingly be all those naughty things mentioned above.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Wed Jul 6 2011, 09:20

[quote="TheDevilsAdvocate"]It is easy isnt Queestce, although the disparaging remark about desk pilots probably isnt called for given your own situation....[/quote]

Demeaning* being the key word there... And I'll go ahead and assume you've missed the irony in your post.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Wed Jul 6 2011, 09:34

helothere
what an absolute scare mongering crock of s#!t. bugger off.

[color=#4000FF][i]Careful, this is my playground. If anyone will be buggering off, it wont be me :wink: helothere[/i][/color]
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Jul 6 2011, 09:46

Bloody pansy plank jockey Execs. What a pack of quivering sooks. Waaaaa waaaa. Toughen up, Princesses.

(Relax, helothere: Everybody knows helo drivers are too busted broke to bother suing anyway...)
StickyDingo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby StickyDingo » Wed Jul 6 2011, 10:03

I look down the bottom of the screen, where it says "Users browsing this forum: Queestce, StickyDingo, The Devil's Advocate, Papillons.....

It's like mice standing around a mousetrap. 'No, you get the cheese. No, you get the cheese'. Classic.
On a serious note- Go the Maroons.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Wed Jul 6 2011, 10:18

Posting this was not intended to scare anyone. It's just a timely reminder that none here are untouchable. It's myself and the other Mod's that have to clean up the mess of an over zealous slanderer, we have better things to do.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jul 6 2011, 10:49

[quote="helothere"] It's myself and the other Mod's that have to clean up the mess of an over zealous slanderer [/quote]

Having been mixed up in one of the incidents on here (not by choice and not myself doing the bad mouthing) I can certainly attest to the fact you can and will be found and certainly can be sued (it happened) on this site for posting defamatory remarks about a person or business, so I absolutely agree with you. We are always accountable. So mind your p's a q's ladies and gents.

[quote="helothere"] we have better things to do.[/quote]

yup, like building my website ;) lol
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Jul 6 2011, 20:04

Just having a tease, helothere. You and the other mods' walk a tricky line and you walk it well. 'Tis appreciated, and your point about slanderous zealotry is well taken.

*Places shiny apple on desk, smirks at spewin' classmates*

Plankheads are still a bunch of whopping great crybaby sooks, but.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jul 6 2011, 20:34

Hey Pappy, I am one of those plank pilots who you refer too...... :/
papillons
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby papillons » Wed Jul 6 2011, 21:08

Ah, but you can hover too Pegs, so all is forgiven.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jul 6 2011, 21:56

[quote="papillons"]Ah, but you can hover too Pegs, so all is forgiven.[/quote]

Just! :D lol
CaptSpry
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CaptSpry » Wed Aug 3 2011, 10:49

Pegs,
Good advice.

Remember about a decade ago a lady AirServices ATC person said something insulting in a well known forum. Not BS. It was about an Australian aviation icon, a very wealthy one at that. She was tracked down after the person went to court and at great expense, forced the forum to release her ID.

She had to publicly apologise, and admit she did not know the man, or all the issues being debated at the time. In fact, the lady claimed she had been caught up in the emotion of the forum activities and let loose with comments that were defamatory, and certainly not based on fact, (which would have been her only defence in a court of law.)

I believe the injured party agreed to be refunded for all legal expenses and the acceptance of an apology made in public. Details are somewhat hazy now, but I believe it is probably cost her around a year’s salary to repay the expenses incurred tracking her down.

So I suppose, the modern rule that you must never go to your keyboard when you are angry, or boozed, etc. is still good advice.
CaptSpry
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CaptSpry » Wed Aug 3 2011, 11:15

Another funny story. About a bright legal eagle feeding off other not so bright as legal eagles.

As we all know litigation is the cancer of the American way of life.

A very famous lawyer, who was known as the most successful lawyer for representing people involved in aviation accidents, had become one of the wealthiest legal eagles in the USA. He was the envy of the legal profession. A real Hollywood character.

Apparently he was intensely disliked and was accused of being a body snatcher or similar. He was accused of wandering around smouldering wreckages and signing up potential clients as they were being loaded into ambulances. Being pushy and showing no compassion was his style.

A very prominent US legal forum had turned against this individual and over some time hundreds of people joined in an attack on his methods and expressed their revulsion at his tactics and his fitness to be a fellow human being.

Well a dollar is a dollar! The bad guy simply waited for the hubbub to die down. He waited until his jealousy driven competitors had exhausted themselves on the forum. He then took the most amazing course of action; which took me many hours to read on the forum.

Using his wealth and legal skills he obtained access to the forum and obtained the ID of his antagonists. By offering an out-of-court settlement, he struck a deal which went something like this. Write an essay of several thousand words as to why the bad guy was really a good guy and this had to be published on the forum. This involved researching his complete life story and his successful legal cases, which were numerous.

Further, being such a rich man (did not need the money) he also said he was not seeking further legal remedy; but thought his antagonists should (will) donate a very substantial amount of money, a very large amount of money, to a very needy charity.

So I suppose the lesson here is whether you are a good guy or a bad guy you do have the right to protect yourself from third parties who throw mud. It is up to us to decide whether we are throwing petrol on the campfire – does the cause justify the risk?

As an aside, I’ve never seen a forum so jammed with hundreds of pages of essays saying the bad guy really did walk on water.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Wed Aug 3 2011, 22:18

helothere
I believe I owe you an apology. I apologise.
Watching the news this morning it seems there are companies out there who are tracking and recording anything and everything an individual posts and submits for publishing online. This information is packaged up nice and neat and if requested it is supplied to agencies and potential employers to help them in the decision of emplyment of upgrade training or whatever.
So it seems the 'CAREFUL WHEN POSTING' statement is NOT scaremongering bs.
Leethallee
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Leethallee » Thu Aug 4 2011, 04:47

Mmmmm, another case of over PC- ness ??? I'm getting sick of being what I can do, say and write... Next I'll be getting told what I can think!

Lee
Trailing edge
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Trailing edge » Thu Aug 4 2011, 06:48

[quote="Leethallee"]Mmmmm, another case of over PC- ness ??? I'm getting sick of being what I can do, say and write... Next I'll be getting told what I can think!

Lee[/quote]

I can't believe you think that!

TE
Leethallee
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Leethallee » Thu Aug 4 2011, 11:08

TE,

BELIEVE IT!
I'm sick of soft handed, bra burning, pillow biting, fence sitting, tree hugging cardigan wearers.

HTFU!

No one likes a bra burner or tree hugger...or for that matter someone who posts garbage that we mods have to subsequently clean up to save the site from legal action as well as those concerned. We moderate what is said and nothing more and often save the backside of the person posting the garbage at the same time. Please feel free to PM a mod if someone posts something personal about yourself...if we are not hugging a tree or burning/wearing a bra, we may be able to help your cause and help salvage your reputation. Mod
hawk1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hawk1 » Thu Aug 4 2011, 12:49

Way to go Lee-thal.

Return to “NOTABS”