Your forum

Notice To All BladeSlappers
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Your forum

Postby helothere » Thu Feb 14 2008, 21:39

nana yabiznus wrote: ...It's a shame to see this site degenerating again. I know of a few very experienced pilots who refuse to even look at this site anymore, let alone contribute, because of some of the low brow humor and high levels of bitchin that goes on here....

If anyone takes offence at any posts, or deems content unworthy of this forum, please be proactive and speak up. This is YOUR forum, any suggestions as to how it may be improved for everyones benefit are most welcome.

I understand that it is not possible to please all of the people all of the time and being an anonymous public forum there are going to be differing opinions on what is a valid comment.

I ask you all to please consider what you post and try to keep a positive point of view when doing so. Also "think before you post", is your post actually going to be worthy of other peoples time?

Thankyou all for your continuing support, happy slapping!
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Thu Feb 14 2008, 23:19

how about keeping politics out of it unless its policy relating to our industry. No one who's posted on the "sorry forum" has come out looking good :cry:
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Bluedog

Postby Bluedog » Fri Feb 15 2008, 03:00

Well said Yakking.. As a new comer to this site, it was bit full on reading SORRY threads. Isn't there enough of that on TV and around the ridges, without bringing it here.
mtow

Postby mtow » Fri Feb 15 2008, 03:48

nana yabiznus wrote:
...It's a shame to see this site degenerating again. I know of a few very experienced pilots who refuse to even look at this site anymore, let alone contribute, because of some of the low brow humor and high levels of bitchin that goes on here....

Can't help myself, got to write something here.
Little wonder experienced pilots are not bothering contributing their views or even looking at this forum. I had first hand experience of being shot down after expressing a point of view on what happened in a movie clip a few months ago. As seems to be the case on these forums pilots are quick to condemn a fellow pilot over a mishap and make ill-informed assumptions of what happened when there could be a very different explanation of what really happened. What was dished out to me was uncalled for. With over 16000 thousand hours from single piston to twin IFR offshore helicopter including a few thousand hours on the type of helicopter in question I wrongly thought I might be able to contribute a constructive point of view that didn't hang the pilot involved in the film clip based on my knowledge of that type of helicopter. Turns out the person who turned on the heat had no hours on that type.
So what hope has this forum got at being a good source of information, advice or point of view if that happens.
Unfortunately there are a few that spoil it for most in these types of forum.
I still occassionally log in for a look but think twice about contributing anything.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Feb 15 2008, 05:18

MTOW...as helothere put it at the end of the sorry thread, there is a fine line between freedom of speech and censorship. We all have differing views on what is suitable, acceptable, relevant and so forth. We also have the freedom to subscribe to threads that we find some interest in, whilst reserving the freedom to disregard and not contribute to those we have no interest in.

It is important that we all show some restraint in what we post and perhaps take a little more responsibility in what we decide to put into a public forum. If were to conduct ourselves so that our user name was indeed our real name, I am sure that we would all be far more careful with what we place on this site. I am sure we all can look back on something that we may not have posted second time round.

It is important that we attract and retain the interest of a broad spectrum of persons across this industry, from student pilots with a few hours flying to those with thousands of hours experience across all facets of the industry. We can all learn and contribute regardless of experience or background, and with a little respect for others and common goal of being positive and helpful, there is no reason why we all find great benefit to the site.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Your forum

Postby ozloadie » Wed Feb 23 2011, 10:14

G'day avaitors,
been away for a little, what happenened to the original Helinews site, has it moved or gone? Would appreciate any info.
NIMROD
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Feb 23 2011, 14:16

There's a 'sorry' thread ??

Have we got a secret womans business thread too ??
Rusky
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rusky » Wed Feb 23 2011, 22:21

I for one believe the moderators of this site should increase the level of moderation (read censorship) that is currently undertaken. Remove posts by persons you the moderator believes are not based on simple moral behaviours such as mutual respect and courtesy etc. People who submit pathetic posts only deserve censorship. Those same person if face to face with those they choose to denegrate would more carefully choose their words for sure. If they cant handle their post being removed too bad, pis# off until you can learn to behave. Like many others, this forum has degenerated into an unprofessional gaggle of 'pilots' and other wannabes pushing their barrows of ill-informed opinion and other detritis.If individuals cant behave then the moderators need to step in. Simple as that. Only then we can lift the standard of this forum.
My 2 cents
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Wed Feb 23 2011, 22:52

your post Rusky ??

Looks exactly like the sort of post that you are saying we don't need.

I agree.
bluesky

Postby bluesky » Thu Feb 24 2011, 02:43

Ozloadie/NIMROD-

In answer to your question about what's happened to the original Helinews site I can tell you it's under construction. You've probably already realised we've taken the old Helinews forum off and replaced it with the Bladeslapper forum but you might not know that Helinews magazine has an agreement with Bladeslapper to share advertising.

When the Helinews website (and forum) was spammed recently our IT department removed both the forum and register/log in feature as a stopgap measure. Because of the advertisement agreement the link to Bladeslapper was put up in the interim. In regards to logging on and registering on the Helinews website we hope that IT will have it working soon.

Hope that helps.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Thu Feb 24 2011, 03:02

Ahh, the ol' chestnut. Where do you draw the line? What most of you don't realise is that a lot of content is removed before being seen by many. We the mods are at work behind the scenes to keep some level of decorum and respect. It has been said before, there is a fine line between censorship and the freedom to express yourself. There are many people in this playground so there are bound to be differences of opinion as to what's appropriate, what's funny and what's not.

Generally it's pretty good. Sometimes an antagonist comes along, sometimes an injection of humour comes along. Sometimes not very much at all happens. That's how we roll here. If you like it, stay and play. If you don't, then don't.

Happy Slappin' everybody...
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Thu Feb 24 2011, 04:06

Thanks Helothere! I just enjoy BS, most of the time when I scan the pages of this forum it is quite obvious who the genuine folk are and who the genuine pilots are. I still read most topics and posts, so when I read some of the material posted I either laugh, take it on board, think that was worth the read, go wow that is amazing, or shake my head with embarrassment because someone has posted something offensive or downright stupid. In the end it is a forum, I just don't take things personally and most times ignore the garbage and know not to get to invloved with the offensive 'poster'.

Overall BS is a great forum, most 'posters' make great contributions and raise great topics, I was really pleased to see Hand In Pants come back after his exile! I remember the day he exiled himself from BS and at the time for a very good reason (I thought), but with input from him, SkyPig, Capt. Hollywood (who must be pretty busy these days) Pegs, Black Duck, Ferrari Flyer and sooooo many more I have learnt and laughed alot.

Keep up the good work MODS, I appreciate the site not matter what gets said on it!.......................MJA
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Feb 24 2011, 04:41

Your post MJA

top hole

RD
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Mon Feb 28 2011, 12:50

Thanks for the brief Bluesky, appreciate your reply. Got sick of the spam flak, seems to be everywhere, rubbish junkies. CAVOK !
NIMROD
MechFx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MechFx » Tue Mar 1 2011, 11:06

Guaranteed most successful way to clean up the forum (if it needs it ????) is to remove anonimity.

Name
Phone number
Address
current employer
current hours
types flown
ARN number

That would remove the BS from BS.
Art.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Thu Mar 3 2011, 19:09

Nice one Art but I'd suggest that idea would remove BS from the Internet! I have considered another version to run along side this one, BS Professional, using real names. I think it would be a small forum though...
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Mar 3 2011, 23:44

I feel we must remember that it is a free internet site and the risks of showing your identity, you do at your own peril. Look at some of social sites, kids just leave themselves wide opne to identity theft or worse.
The rules probably should be, 'please don't use your real identity' on these sorts of sites.
RD

Return to “NOTABS”