Possible to find employment on a working holiday visa?

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
caz7184

Possible to find employment on a working holiday visa?

Postby caz7184 » Fri May 29 2015, 00:33

So I am an American pilot with an FAA CPL thinking about coming over during the off season on a working holiday visa and was wondering if it is possible for employers to hire pilots on this visa? And if it is possible does it ever happen? I would convert my FAA license over to a CASA one and would have apprx 350 hrs total time with about 115 in the R44 upon arriving in Oz. Any input would be helpful!

Thanks!
rocketman

Re: Possible to find employment on a working holiday visa?

Postby rocketman » Sat May 30 2015, 01:30

You should be able to so long as the work involved is "incidental to your holiday."
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Sat May 30 2015, 08:20

Hey,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but there's quite a lot of work to do before you can even fly in Aus. Is it possible? I'd go for a firm maybe.

You've got a lot of work to do to get a CASA license including getting an ARN number (license number), getting your English Language Proficiency tested (not a problem but it does have to be done), getting your license converted (I couldn't even begin to tell you how long that might take) and then, after all that, you're going to be competing for a job against all the guys who trained over here and can't find a job.

If you do decide to come over on a working holiday and chose to give this a go, please keep us informed on here one way or another. My advice is have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. You wouldn't believe the cash you can sock away if you can get a bartending gig in a tourist town. If you don't mind hard work, picking fruit in far north Queensland is good money as well.

Good luck and keep us advised.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sat May 30 2015, 23:16

The time and money expense to just 'pick up off-season work' isn't worth it if you got R44 scenic/charter job in US. How about Old City Helicopters in FL? They seem to have very high turnover.

There were 1000hr+ guys with external load time already converted asking for job on short/temp WHV and feedback from at least one employer was 'hireable, but not with that visa status'.

Doing fulltime job with low housing cost can save you 2500-3000 aud/month which can go longer way back in US. Don't forget to claim the 'super' back leaving on temp visa.

If you only got half year or so to spend in Oz, you can use your time otherwise. Medical takes while (can be done from US), but conversion exams, waiting 6 weeks for CPL to get back after successful flight test etc, delays creep in.

Lowtimer scenics companies don't really want people around short time on short visas.

Don't forget everything's roughly double the US in terms of training/dual rates. Different price levels.

EDIT: Now full 4 months since CASA received/logged the receipt of my ASIC and 61-4A form plus ROC and ELP paperwork.
Just checked it on 'self service portal' in case the hard copies got lost in mail past month. Yeah, forgot to mention the ASIC, bureaucratic necessity, besides other stuff. If heading over, getting medical, verification, ASIC initial application, with all the fees and certified copies of log pages, documents, licenses, countersigned photos etc etc, take months themselves.
caz7184

Postby caz7184 » Wed Jun 3 2015, 00:28

Thanks a lot for the responses! Its what I had assumed when posting, but good to have definite answers. My primary plan if I came over would be to pick up work in the service industry or doing security since the real goal is to get an extended trip back to the country (I miss it quite a bit) and the license conversion was more a secondary possibility I may pursue once I am there but if the process is as long as mentioned it may not be worth it. I have seen a lot of postings for Old City and considered them, but their turnover makes me wonder if that's natural to their operation or speaks to another issue.

Return to “General Employment Questions”