Rescue Crewman Experience/Hours

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
wait48

Rescue Crewman Experience/Hours

Postby wait48 » Thu May 28 2015, 10:05

Hey Guys,
It's probably been asked a million times before but what is the best way to go about getting hours/certifications towards being a Rescue Crewman? The Careflight Courses are incredibly expensive for what they are . How does a young person go about getting experience ? Even crewing positions with the DPI and other Government sectors seem impossible to find information on. I am looking for somewhere near Brisbane but I am willing to travel wherever I need too.

Any help would be great fellas/ladies.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Rescue Crewman Experience/Hours

Postby ozloadie » Thu May 28 2015, 23:41

There are no shortcuts.
Simply, the Regs and the industry requires that you have certification of recognized standard skills and knowledge.

Apart from enlisting with the ADF and achieving selection for the appropriate aircrew positions, there are no entries into the rescue crewman stream other than paying for the training with recognized training organisations eg Careflight or the Surf Lifesaving Movement stream where you can opt for the rescue crewman training and the waiting list is long, but it is also competitive. They require your efforts to the organization in return.

The onus is on you to learn as much about the aircraft operation and function from the ground up, and that recognition needs hands on and logged experience.
You can start chipping away at the goal by gaining your bronze medallion for swimming. and maybe do a HUET course on your own volition. You could also get a Flight Radio Operators course under your belt, and Advanced First Aid quals will help your profile as well. A Class 2 aviation medical certification would be a firm step.
Talk to any of the operators and see if you can get a casual or part time position ground handling, washing, refueling around the hangars to contribute to their operations
Check out the requirements under the Cert for Aviation, Rescue Crewman elements and keep an eye on the Unis and TAFEs for cheaper one off aviation courses, including GPS, navigation, survival training etc.
And don't give up your day job until the contract is signed.
Keep it flying, don't quit!
wait48

Postby wait48 » Fri May 29 2015, 02:58

Thanks for that Ozloadie, I will look into the other smaller courses and try to pursue some work experience on a base near me. There are a few new providers of the Cert 3 in Aviation ( Rescue Crewman) that I am waiting on quotes for so that should be a good start .
SAR406

Postby SAR406 » Sat May 30 2015, 05:56

CHC SAR offers the best way of getting a start in the industry as a Rescue Crewman. I know plenty of guys who got their start there working their way into an Aircrewman slot after a few years if they made the grade.
With the new NSW contracts all the Rescue Crewman work is going to NSW Ambulance Flight Paramedics including the water winching so that avenue is drying up.
Sydney and surrounds has been running this model for a while but Newcastle and Lismore are going that way also.
Its a hard slog to get a start but if you are motivated enough you will get a chance.
The only guys that have full-time Rescue Crewman positions are CHC SAR , QG AIR ( EMQ ) , Australian Helicopters ( Limited positions ) , Capricorn Rescue and maybe a few others as volunteers (SLSA QLD)
Keep an eye on the QLD Smart Jobs website as QG AIR (Old EMQ) recently put on four Rescue Crewman.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Sun May 31 2015, 00:36

I'm not sure if CHC still take on cadet Rescue crewies anymore. I'm sure someone will be in the know. It seems these days most EMS/SAR organisations require dual role crewman, so you may look into going the whole hog and doing a Cert IV.
Cheers and good luck.
Jacko
wait48

Postby wait48 » Thu Jun 4 2015, 01:45

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it , I have a lot of research and work ahead of me.
dig

Postby dig » Thu Mar 30 2017, 11:26

Hi slappers,
first post on here!

CHC and QGair both require a senior first aid certificates as specified on their respective job ads. I'm currently in the ADF and have current first aid training through them.
There is no competency code or RTO for the training as far as I'm aware.
Is that acceptable to put down on a CV for the two organisation I mentioned?
I was hoping someone who has dealt with military CV's for RC/AC before can help me out here.

I also have HUET though the ADF (same deal- no comp code)

Cheers

Return to “General Employment Questions”