Not Giving Up The Day Job

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Not Giving Up The Day Job

Postby Rattlegun » Fri Oct 3 2014, 12:17

G’day Slappers,

The short version:
I’m not in a position to pursue a full time flying gig, so I’m looking for advice/leads on maintaining flying skill until 2020. And/or LAME career info.

The full version:
The week I took my flight test, my wife was accepted to the JCU School of Medicine. This, of course, was great news for us, but my dreams of travelling Australia for my first flying gig have been shelved until 2020. Our household income has also dropped by about 70% (ouch) and the mortgage payments must still be met –not much left for flying.

Once my wife has become a qualified Doctor, we can (and will) go anywhere there is opportunity. Until then, we are committed to Townsville.

I’m looking for advice/leads on anyone who might be able to offer work experience in the aviation industry in North Queensland to help maintain skills and currency. Even if there’s no flying, I’d be happy for any ground work which will help me build experience. I have also accrued a reasonable amount of annual leave, which I am happy to use for work experience.

I have 130hrs TT,
R22, R44 and Sling endorsements,
Qualified diesel fitter (10yrs post trade experience),
HC Truck Licence, Fork Lift Licence, welding experience etc
Have reliable transport and happy to travel up to 300km, even on short notice.
Can follow instructions, think for myself and work safely.
Can provide a resume and referees on request.
Am available every weekend, all weekend.

As I have worked in maintenance since 2000 and still enjoy it, I’m also keen to hear about LAME career options. (Google doesn’t return much). I feel this may be a good option for me and that I would have much to offer.

I am passionate about pursuing a career in aviation, but I’m not prepared to sacrifice my family to do so. If this prohibits my success, then so be it – but I will not compromise.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for reading.

Shane

Ninja Edit - For anyone who wants to get in touch outside of Bladeslapper: rattlegun[at]gmail.com
Last edited by Rattlegun on Sat Oct 4 2014, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Not Giving Up The Day Job

Postby choppermech1986 » Fri Oct 3 2014, 14:47

Hey mate,

Congrats to the wife. JCU has a good med school.

If you get a chance, head out to Charters Towers to HeliSpanners and pop your head in the hangar door. There's a lot more aviation around TSV than meets the eye. Once you get to meeting a few people, you will quickly find that you know most of the industry in NQ.

Most importantly (and I can tell you get this), stick by your wife. She'll need all the support she can get for the next 6 years!
zipp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zipp » Fri Oct 3 2014, 20:45

With an attitude like that you will go far. Well done mate. You don't see that around much anymore as a lot of new pilots want it handed to them on a plate and it doesn't work like that always. Sometimes doing the hard yards in the hanger is the only way and trust me you will be far better off for it. Dont give up your dream of flying and with that spirt, something will happen that works for you and your family somewhere. If I owned a business in North QLD I would get you to call me right away. Good luck!!!!
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Fri Oct 3 2014, 23:30

Gents,

Thanks for the encouragement - it's sincerely appreciated. We’ve got a tough couple of years ahead, but we’re prepared for the long haul.

I’ll certainly pay the team at Helispanners a visit – thanks Choppermech!

Shane
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sat Oct 4 2014, 09:58

There is a lot of aviation in Townsville. Make yourself known at the orgs and offer your services as a ferry or short notice for off the cuff requirements. They may not pay wages, but you'll get the hours and probably expenses. I did that while in the army in Townsville and ended up flying nearly every weekend at least. Mostly recovery, go out with a LAME in one frame and bring the repair job home.

If you've got a fw licence, a lot of parachuting as well.
Keep it flying, don't quit!
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Sat Oct 4 2014, 13:03

Thank you ozloadie - PM sent.

I've also edited my original post to include my email address.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Thu Dec 22 2016, 02:30

G'day Slappers!

Chrissy holidays have started again, so I thought it was time to give this one another kick in the guts. Everything form the original post above is still relevant, so please, let me know if you hear of anything?

Also, I've been kicking around the idea of tackling a AME apprenticeship for some time now, so I'm keen for any info on that front too.

About me:
I've been a qualified diesel fitter since 2003, and have worked in a maintenance management for the last 5 years. I've done everything from a basic oil change to planning, managing and invoicing $2M machine rebuilds. I still enjoy the technical challenge of maintenance, and, once my wife has finished her degree, I would like to go back on the tools - just not in mining. Not looking to make a fortune, just want to enjoy going to work each day.

My questions:
Is there any demand for dual (L)AME / CPL(H)? Finding a balance (even if it's 80/20) really appeals to me.
Very few apprenticeships are advertised - is there any demand for (mature age) apprentices? I am particularly interested in B1.3 & B1.4 categories.
Is the Aviation Australia (or equivalent) course a perquisite? I have 3 years to complete the course by correspondence, and I feel I have the aptitude to to so.

Thanks for your time,

Shane.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Thu Dec 22 2016, 06:18

Hey Bud,

Noted these the other day. Not sure if you have seen them.

https://www.seek.com.au/job/32424688?ty ... 5&ref=beta

https://www.seek.com.au/job/32426849?ty ... 5&ref=beta

I know they are not in Townsville, but just in case

Good luck with it all.
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Thu Dec 22 2016, 06:50

Marshy84 wrote:Hey Bud,

Noted these the other day. Not sure if you have seen them.

I know they are not in Townsville, but just in case

Good luck with it all.

Thanks heaps, Marshy84. I hadn't seen them, but Heli-Muster are certainly on my call list. Appreciated.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Thu Dec 22 2016, 07:01

Thanks heaps, Marshy84. I hadn't seen them, but Heli-Muster are certainly on my call list. Appreciated.[/quote]

Awesome. Good luck. :D
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)

Return to “General Employment Questions”