Island Hoppers Fiji

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
big_saint

Island Hoppers Fiji

Postby big_saint » Mon Jul 7 2014, 08:20

Does anyone know what it is like to work for these guys? Saw them flying around a bit when I was in Fiji last.
tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Island Hoppers Fiji

Postby tailrotor » Mon Jul 7 2014, 10:46

What are the requirements like =P
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Tue Jul 8 2014, 06:33

mdav, I know 3 guys that started with less than that and no 350.
Redlining in neutral
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Tue Jul 8 2014, 06:46

Sweet
nzflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby nzflyer » Tue Jul 8 2014, 23:08

Their PNG company is a total sham, they have No engineering support but don't know about Fiji, I am told they run day by day on the smell of a oily rag
angrywasp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrywasp » Wed Jul 9 2014, 21:11

The Fiji operation is a good set up. The usual requirement is a 1000 hours with an AS 350 rating and MD 500 rating. However, if you appeal to them, the hours requirement can be more flexible. The machines are well maintained due to being on public transport and heavily involved with tourism. Pay and conditions are good for that experience level and they look after accommodation which is good quality and provide a vehicle. Good hunting !
rayban
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rayban » Thu Jul 10 2014, 22:19

engineering support for the PNG operation is handled by oceania NZ, so no real sham on that side of things
flops
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flops » Sun Aug 10 2014, 00:24

David lomas is the chief pilot there now and a good mate of mine mark is a line pilot.. seems to be doing very well and happy with the conditions. I know their MD500 is in immaculate condition not sure about the as350, I think Lomas has been there almost 2 years and mark for one. If you have any questions shoot me a line id be more then happy to ask them for you. :D
bob felcher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bob felcher » Tue Aug 12 2014, 05:01

rayban there PNG operation is a Sham, a dodgy one at that
the older I get the better I was
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Tue Aug 12 2014, 06:08

Is the PNG show operating a dark blue 212 around the PNG north coast region?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pigdog » Tue Aug 12 2014, 06:23

yep and POM
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Tue Aug 12 2014, 08:15

That 212 seems to be in good nick. Like the paint job, colour is classy.
Operators always friendly.
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pigdog » Wed Aug 13 2014, 01:39

Good paint job don't mean good operation, and the drivers are just like us friendly cos they may be talking to some one that is the key to the next job
bob felcher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bob felcher » Wed Aug 13 2014, 02:50

pretty sure that blue 212 is impounded in a hangar in Wewak after the skids were spread following a engine failure with the PM and 13 others on board. No engineering inspection on the tailboom was carried out just flown back to Wewak.
the older I get the better I was
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Wed Aug 13 2014, 05:23

I know paint doesn't qualify integrity.
My impression was a gypsy outfit relying on wantok parking and tools, and follow the bouncing opportunity ball.
Orphans in a suits!
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pigdog » Wed Aug 13 2014, 06:14

Well said
Breece
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Breece » Wed Aug 13 2014, 08:39

ozloadie wrote:My impression was a gypsy outfit relying on wantok parking and tools, and follow the bouncing opportunity ball.

Hi PNG Pilots,
I was intrigued by the term 'Wantok' in Ozloadie's comment above. I'd previously heard of it, but thought it meant "One Talk" as in, the pidgin language of PNG.

So for you guys, does it imply:
The wantok system is a classic example of low level corruption and involves doing favours for friends and mates who belong to the same family, tribe or region. The wantok system is detrimental to the efficient functioning of society.

?

Cheers.
Breece Gevaux
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Wed Aug 13 2014, 18:57

None of the terms I used implied any form of corruption or dishonesty at all to any party.

That implication is nothing more than a loaded, biased political comment, trying to twist a word in the local vernacular to suit their purpose.

In it's national context the wantok system is a social survival network that enables everyone to belong or be associated with someone else for support and /or sustenance be it family, friend or acquaintance. It is neither an entitled or guaranteed right, and is culturally and socially defined, not by some western dictionary. To understand it you have to live in PNG and mix with the nationals at all levels.

There is no relation to corruption whatsoever in the meaning of the term, or in how I applied it.

I'm certain I've seen that implication quoted by foreign journalists or politicians as a criticism of the distribution and application of foreign aid financial assistance to the PNG government.

Both circumstances are usually critically pursued by interested foreign corporate or political parties who want to get their own feet in the door, who have agendas of their own or who have no or little understanding of the country, it's history or how it works at all. I don't recall that they provided any sweeping solutions either.

I've operated with PNG defence, aviation and security organisations for many years and value and respect those relationships and experiences.

Aviation in PNG is employing a markedly large proportion of nationals across the nation, so the context of the implication to aviators is irrelevant, and has no basis.

If I was to rate that implication on a performance chart, I suspect it would be well into the dead mans curve!
Breece
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Breece » Wed Aug 13 2014, 20:57

That's a fantastic overview of the situation, thank you ozloadie.
Let it be clear that I wasn't implying that you, or anyone else operating in PNG were corrupt.

After studying PNG history and culture many years ago, I was also surprised by the implication of corruption across many publications on the net. ozloadie's right, it's usually found in Western NGO/political material, suggesting bias or at the very least, ulterior motives at play.

Thanks for this insight into PNG culture and operations. It's a fascinating place, right on our doorstep. I'd love to see more dedicated content on here and in other media about what's happening in PNG.

All the best.
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Thu Aug 14 2014, 03:20

Ha! So they fly that tooey from the village crash site to Wewak on splayed out skids (?) no tail boom inspection (?) and on what, one stove because the other one had turned itself into a boat anchor? The outfit that owns the AOC that they are operating on must be so impressed with the professionalism displayed by Island Hoppers.

Wantok - means 'one talk' - people who speak the same language and usually from the same area. An informal social welfare kind of safety net for clans - what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine etc.

Return to “General Employment Questions”