Mustering Advice

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
MattNz

Mustering Advice

Postby MattNz » Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:53

Hey just about to leave for a full time mustering
job in auz anyone got any KEY POINTERS or
things to watch out for other than the normal
stuff whilst flying cheers for you help

Regards MattNz
docholiday
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Mustering Advice

Postby docholiday » Thu Jul 21 2011, 22:54

Yeah watch out for the government. They'll try to ruin your industry and tax hell out of you!
Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation.
Jimmy Carr
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Fri Jul 22 2011, 03:26

Interested to know who would employ a Kiwi for mustering in Oz...especially when not in Oz and by the sounds of it with no experience ??

No offence, just interested as it sounds completely out of the norm.

Good luck but.....don't do what I did on my very first mustering day on the job......flew under powerlines and hit a cow.
Mustering Guru
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mustering Guru » Fri Jul 22 2011, 04:25

I will give you some pointers when you say who it is you are going to work for......I know a few operators, some good, some not so good :)
NO FENCES
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NO FENCES » Fri Jul 22 2011, 05:36

Never tell how many cattle you have......... you may blow the lot before you get ringers onto them. :oops:
No Fences
doerak1400
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby doerak1400 » Fri Jul 22 2011, 07:40

Matt , congratulations on your job . I landed my mustering job while still in NZ with no experience but the station owner liked sound of my background and said he'd give me a chance. Asked around about him , some people had good things to say , some people not so good.
My advise to you is make your own decisions based on what they expect of you relevamt to your experience . And watch the clock , you are in control of your machine and need to conduct your pre flights meticulously if all hours not being logged.
I have a farming background but couple of Aboriginal boys taught me a lot on the ground about handling cattle , its all about pressure on and pressure off , don't stress your cattle anymore than needed but you do need to show them who is boss sometimes.
Common complaint fron the boss was guys who get so angry and fixated on a naughty cow that they forget about the rest of the herd heading off in the wrong direction or even worse compromise the safety of the machine.
Stay well clear of ground and trees , keep rpm in the green , keep disc in translation when you doing anything downwind and fly to YOUR limitations at all times .
I loved mustering, was best fun I've had flying and will probably go back to it oneday. Good luck and feel free PM me if you have anymore questions , only stupid one is the one you didnt ask. :D
whald

Postby whald » Fri Jul 22 2011, 09:16

doerak1400,

Great to see some serious advice and not the half smart sarcasm. Matt sounds like a great opportunity have fun and work hard and keep out of the trees.
Bootch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bootch » Sat Jul 23 2011, 01:43

Shot Matt, I'm jealous! How'd you do it? I'm trying to get into the mustering scene now.

Have fun out there, fly safe.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sat Jul 23 2011, 22:39

try to bring the cattle in at a walk, we hate seeing our cows turn up in the yard, tongues hanging out and kilos of beef run of them and no calf in sight as he couldn't keep up with his galloping mother. :wink:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.

Return to “General Employment Questions”