Sling Training??

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Robbieslapper

Sling Training??

Postby Robbieslapper » Mon May 23 2011, 10:56

Hey Slappers

I'm thinking of doing a sling endorsement can anyone recommend a good school? Also I'm low hours and not sure if im wasting my time doing it or if id get more out of it with more hours any thoughts??
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Sling Training??

Postby Quick Release » Mon May 23 2011, 11:37

Start by checking a school close by.
Def worth doing, anything a prospective employer doesnt have to give u is a bonus.
You will have fun doing it and gives you an idea what to expect. do some short and long line, So ask the prospective school what they can offer, at the end of the day a sling endorsment in your licence is all you need.

Have fun.
HeliSAJ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeliSAJ » Mon May 23 2011, 22:36

It good training, new skills, not a waste of money because it's a rating & goes on your licence rather than flying round at 1000 feet.
Timmy!
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Timmy! » Tue May 24 2011, 04:09

Not a waste of money at all! There are companies out there that will utilise you if you have the rating even with low hours. I started with a company that did quite a bit of slinging here and there and wish I was rated at the time and I would have got a crack for sure. They later gave me the rating at the same time I did 206 endorsement but by then the other guys I'd started with, who were also fairly low hours at the time, already had a few hours slinging in the log book and were quite competent so they just used them when any sling jobs came up and I kind of missed the boat to getting some sling time. You certainly wouldn't get thrown into precision long lining at altitude to start off but it would definitely worth having! Go for it! :wink:
...and the Lords of the underworld!
James Hall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby James Hall » Tue May 24 2011, 05:47

Robbieslapper wrote:Hey Slappers

I'm thinking of doing a sling endorsement can anyone recommend a good school? Also I'm low hours and not sure if im wasting my time doing it or if id get more out of it with more hours any thoughts??

Hi Robbieslapper,

Where are you located and where would be most convenient for you to train?
notam
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby notam » Tue May 24 2011, 10:50

Hi Robbieslapper...
personally I think you should get a bit of time up your sleeve... perhaps ask your self the question do you want to be a utility pilot...
there are too many people in this industry that can hand out hook ratings and couldn't sling a 50ft let alone a 250ft strop to save themselves
no point having a rating if your not going to do this eventually full time... Saying that if you decide that its for you i would recommend getting your rating from someone with high hours on hooks Pref PNG stuff.. not sure where you are however for the East coast there's a little outfit in Ballina You'll find that this person who goes by name of Tim just might be able to help you out.

On the west coast you have an operator who has the experience your looking for who goes by the name of Brent perhaps you can Google HeliSpecs...
certainly don't think that any of these 2 operators will just sign you out after 3hrs if your not up to speed...

Saying that i'm sure there are many others that are just as good.
however if your not given practical experience from the beginning your 10 paces behind everybody instead of in front.
BellEnd

Postby BellEnd » Tue May 24 2011, 11:55

notam wrote:
however if your not given practical experience from the beginning your 10 paces behind everybody instead of in front.

Agreed. But not as important if you're with a company that is willing to send you out for an hour every now and then with a hundred footer to keep your hand in. We could all crap on with the technicalities of it and different opinions but put quite simply it is worthwhile doing if that's the career path you choose, if you want to drive busses to oil rigs then don't bother, get IREX and all your ATPL's done and spit polish your eppaulettes! :P
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Tue May 24 2011, 12:11

notam wrote: Saying that if you decide that its for you i would recommend getting your rating from someone with high hours on hooks Pref PNG stuff..

notam wrote:On the west coast you have an operator who has the experience your looking for who goes by the name

Heliwest... :D

At least one of their PNG pilots are about on base for something. all the regular line pilots / instructors do sling work in all machines year round. You can chose from 6 different machines to do it if you wish. from a 22 up to the 212, if you got cash!!! :lol:

you will get ground schooling and appropriate study documentation to refence while conducting the course.

check em out......website or ring em..
superD2
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby superD2 » Tue May 24 2011, 23:36

HELiPRO New Zealand is a good place plenty of experienced pilots
Robbieslapper

Postby Robbieslapper » Wed May 25 2011, 00:20

Thank for your advice guys appreciated . I'm in NQ and aiming for utility ill have a talk to the companies mentioned above. Burn some more cash while I’ve still got it!
Otto2722

Postby Otto2722 » Wed May 25 2011, 08:19

frointer helicopter new zealand very experinced well worth it
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Wed May 25 2011, 08:36

Dick Arnold at Townsville Helicopters can throw a line and Tim Latimer also has a stack of time with his head out the window if you don't mind spending a bit of money on travel from NQ. Lats also has a bunch of good utility contacts which it sounds like you mightn't have gotten when you did your licence.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Wed May 25 2011, 10:11

SuperD2. U r seriously joking right?

In NZ try frontier, or Bruce Harvey if he still doing it. Others would b Wayne Pratt at karamea, not sure if he's training guys, or the guy that drives for ericson. Sorry brains gone blank, he used to teach in a 22 on his months off from the crane.....

Return to “General Employment Questions”