Flying In the middle east

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Flying In the middle east

Postby NEWBIE » Fri Jul 16 2010, 03:08

Just trying to find some hard facts as to what people who are flying in the middle east/ West Asia are actualy making, and if the pay and conditions are that much more then a Capt flying offshore. I have heard some differing reports as to what is the norm. And has any one been been employed on an Australian ATPL?, every source I am seeing is asking for the FAA ATPL. Any thoughts or PM's are greatly apreciated,
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Flying In the middle east

Postby Dauphin » Fri Jul 16 2010, 03:19

Most companies will hire you with an Aussie ATPL. Saudi Aramco require FAA I think. Annual salaries are around the US$100k mark for multi-engine IFR captain. The attraction is supposed to be the tax free salary, however pilots who tour from Australia are supposed to declare this income on their tax returns, and you will be taxed at the normal rate as though the income was earned in Australia. There is a lot of info on working in the Middle East on the dark side.
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Fri Jul 16 2010, 03:22

How bizarre. I typed the name of another web site at the end of my post and it then appears on the forum as "the dark side". If my words are going to be changed by the system or moderator it should be acknowledged in the post.
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Fri Jul 16 2010, 03:59

In the UAE at the moment most guys (living in country)I know are on at least 150K Aus (even more for some jobs - 180-220K), + housing + school fees + trip home for the family + medical etc and its tax free ...provided you live here and are not a tax resident of Oz. Its a pretty good gig although different people have different ideas on working in the sand pit.

Balls
Leethallee
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Leethallee » Fri Jul 16 2010, 04:44

I'd play in the sand pit for that sort of coin.
Judge your success by what you have had to give up to get it.
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Fri Jul 16 2010, 05:05

ballslapper wrote:In the UAE at the moment most guys (living in country)I know are on at least 150K Aus (even more for some jobs - 180-220K), + housing + school fees + trip home for the family + medical etc and its tax free ...provided you live here and are not a tax resident of Oz. Its a pretty good gig although different people have different ideas on working in the sand pit.

Balls

The salary I have quoted in my post above is for offshore touring jobs - 6 weeks on/6 weeks off. Hardly worth it if you are going to get taxed at Aussie rates.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Jul 16 2010, 09:53

How bizarre. I typed the name of another web site at the end of my post and it then appears on the forum as "the dark side". If my words are going to be changed by the system or moderator it should be acknowledged in the post.

Yeah, there are a few “auto replacements” on this site. Try typing Mr Smith’s first name (famous ex electronics chain store owner, former head of CASA and current helicopter owner).
As far as “that other website” go’s, try typing Bladeslapper on a post there. It’s been my experience that the post is deleted, and you’re threatened with being banned!! Oc:= (I deleted my 500+ posts, and moved to an Aussie based helicopter forum)

Changing the name to, “The Dark Side” seems mild, and appropriate.

Sky "Forum contributors are the value" Pig 8) 8)
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sat Jul 17 2010, 02:50

So, what are offshore Captains making in Aussie?????
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Sat Jul 17 2010, 03:27

Yankee,
Rough numbers are between 160 and 200K depending on company, years with, training positions etc
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Wed Jul 21 2010, 08:19

Thanks all for the Info looking into it all.
Would really like any info re Rock pile or sandpit if any one can help, all my contacts are for the ground.
Thanks,
Iron Man
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Iron Man » Fri Sep 3 2010, 19:13

Hi Newbie

Here are some web sites to have a look at, this might help.

http://www.thehelicoptersource.com/id95.html

http://www.payscale.com/research/AE/Job ... lot/Salary

Also you might want to give some of the companies here a call. I’m not going to give you any names so good luck.

http://www.aerogulfservices.com/

http://www.helidubai.com/

http://www.falconaviation.ae/careers.php

It’s always good to search the forums here, to be able to get a feel for the place, don’t just look at one forum you must do your homework.

If you have a professional partner it is a little bit easier, than single living/accommodation, but certainly not impossible. Not everybody’s cup of tea especially this time of year, in the UAE it's about 45 to 50 degrees in the morning. Yesterday in Kuwait it was is 50+.Plus Ramadan................!

Also not FAA, JAA.

I.M

Return to “General Employment Questions”