JOBS??

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
wilco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

JOBS??

Postby wilco » Fri Mar 26 2010, 13:37

G'day all,
I must say its good to see that employment opportunities seem to be on the rise again. Does this mean that companies have gotten over the GFC and have been purchasing more aircraft and/or have we had the traditional "up-shift" in the industry with pilots moving up the ladder and creating new vacancies?
Either way prospects are looking up again for both experienced pilots, new pilots and of course everyone in between.
Just as a hint to all you new pilots, don't be dissapointed because most of the jobs are for experienced drivers with thousands of hours etc. etc. The pilots who take those jobs have to come from somewhere and usually this means that the industry moves up, and so on, until vacancies start opening in the low hour job department. Easter time is usually when tourism operators look at employing pilots for the coming tourist season and its not unreasonable for pilots to get 500 hrs + in a season. There are no guarantees of course in this industry but I would suggest making sure your resume is up to date and start banging on doors and meeting employers (in person is the best way).
Anyway that is enough of a rant from me. I wish you all a happy and safe Easter.
Wilco
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: JOBS??

Postby NZHelo » Sat Mar 27 2010, 00:57

Yeah so many are being advertised at the moment.....
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:08

Good news wilco,
I just hope so as i a low hour pilot myself (doing the flying on the weekends working my normanl job during the week) have be making phone calls and emailing my resume out to all the tour operaters, but no luck yet! (not giving up!). I am very keen to get that all talk about first JOB! and to start working in the aviation industry. The only hard part for me is to go knocking on doors all around this great country it to costs money. Saving my money once i get that first job and been paid not alot of spondoulies at lest i have a bit of money in the bank to keep my head above the clouds. All help or tips are needed to find that first job, please god soon :cool_dc:
marko
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:15

Well Marko, Im sorry to say but god will not help you find that first job neither will JUST sending out your CV, like it has been repeated month after month on this site you have to get out and about to meet the operators. I can almost gaurantee that your CV would be in the recycle bin even before it was opened.
Best of luck
May the good lord guide thee

And or Bladeslapper Disciples - Mod
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:35

I know NZHelo that i need to get out there i have seeing all the posts on this web site, but for the moment i will keep trying the phone calls. Trust me i am not reglious either. Cheers too NZHelo need to hear the truth.
nathan_m
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby nathan_m » Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:47

Don't worry marko your doing your part mate keep it up and don't let anyone get you down.

lets just hope all these employers don't hire kiwi low-timers over Australian pilots trying to get into the game!

The key to it all is patience and the right attitude.

Cheers NM 8)
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Sat Mar 27 2010, 02:22

Cheers nathan_m, thank for the words of encouragement, no worries with the kiwi pilots i have nothing against anyone, its hard for any low hour pilot to get that FIRST JOB! so i say best of luck to all (me first though ha). I will and have been looking hard and it will come to me maybe tomorrow maybe next year i will wait my turn. All for the love flying.
Please no bitchin over NZHelo he is just telling the truth as all help is needed for us low hurs guys.
marko :too_cool:
Flyin-jocks
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Flyin-jocks » Sat Mar 27 2010, 02:26

Easy there.....

Kiwi pilots just off their CPL are way ahead of new aussie pilots. Its only 50 hours extra but its an important 50 hours. Mountain flying, sling trainng etc..
Thats why they keep getting hired. Thats how it was for me anyway. What do you guys rekon?

For all you aspiring newbies, do it in NZ. It will help!
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Sat Mar 27 2010, 02:40

Here lad, i have over 200 hours and i think you are moving away from the point there maybe more jobs on the horizon in the near future for low hour pilots or people trying to get a start in the aviation industry. Kiwi instructors taught me to fly if u need to know!!! in OZ.
marko
Flyin-jocks
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Flyin-jocks » Sat Mar 27 2010, 03:23

Thats great mate but just thought it was worth mentioning for the new guys. Your instructors would have told you i'm sure but there is a bit a difference in the traing accross the ditch. Mate of mine is annoyed cos he's trying to get a job accross there but has to do a bit more training to convert his licence (wot i heard anyway) and my first chief pilot was well happy when i walked in with 50 hours more than the others. Just saying. and you can get a hex loan. not bad. (need to start paying that off actually, oops :( )

OK Back to the point,,, Absolutely agree. Going around meeting Chief pilots is the way to go. Make a trip of it, its fun! Pack all yo stuff in the back and drive the country knocking on doors. Make your resume good, REALY good! Mine was like a magazine insert. Cost me 50 bucks to get printed but it worked! and make it short and to the point. CPs hate it when they get handed pages of stuff about when you were a paper boy and how well you stacked shelves at coles. Going around everywhere will actually help when your trying to get your 5th or 6th job aswell so its worth the investment. Oh and if your in NZ doing your licence now and want to go to Oz, try to include a JR endorsment. You all got that loan im sure. I now you all want to fly the 500s but theres heaps of JRs here.
Good luck all.... safe flying :)
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Sat Mar 27 2010, 05:38

Flying-Jocks thank you for some great info on finding a job. O S*%t looks like i will have to take that jump(looking forward to it) the big road trip. The thing is i am not a young fella i not a old fella (36) i still feel young at heart will this impact my chances of getting that job out there. This is why i held on looking for a job until i passed the 200hrs mark and have the JR endr as well hopeing that this will help. Any more help will be much appreciated.
Marko :too_cool:
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Sat Mar 27 2010, 10:06

Marko, don't let your age worry you. The company I work has put on two low timers your age and older in the last 12 months. Don't let it worry you. It may make it easier.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
theyeti
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby theyeti » Sun Mar 28 2010, 10:45

G'day M.
Am similar age to you, also low timer. Found a wicked job during a trip around OZ. Quite an exiting if not frightning thing seting off on a trip that so many others have no luck on.
Just have to be prepared to do a lot of work and be confident starting right at rock bottom of a new industry. Am one of the oldest pilots (and hangar sweepers) at work.
Still get plenty of flying and experience and seeing some great sights/ meeting awesome people.
Have a JR rating but that didn't seem to excite anyone at all. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to let me loose in one with 5(whole) hours. My guess is I would probably have to do that many hours with the company pilot before they would let me fly one anyway. I really think I would spend that money on a Bell 47 rating and a 300 rating (already had the "standard" R22/R44 ratings) if I was to do it again. Me thinks you will be flying one or more of those 4 machines for some time. Good luck,
Theyeti.
Juzz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Juzz » Sun Mar 28 2010, 11:55

All I know is that I handed my first resume in on a friday (waited around to meet the boss ofcourse), got called back on saturday and given a weeks work on the monday!

I got paid well, got some good experience and even 2.1 in an R44! All this from a local operator and I haven't even started my road trip. Maybe I did something right, maybe I was just in the right place at the right time. Hopefully more work opens up for all us low-timers because personally i'm very broke from spending all my money on my CPL, R44 endorsement and giving up a steady income to get into this industry!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Mar 28 2010, 21:58

Juzz wrote:All I know is that I handed my first resume in on a friday (waited around to meet the boss ofcourse), got called back on saturday and given a weeks work on the monday!

I got paid well, got some good experience and even 2.1 in an R44! All this from a local operator and I haven't even started my road trip. Maybe I did something right, maybe I was just in the right place at the right time. Hopefully more work opens up for all us low-timers because personally i'm very broke from spending all my money on my CPL, R44 endorsement and giving up a steady income to get into this industry!

Juzz, that is exactly the right place at the right time. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be going anywhere right then, other than to the broom cupboard! LOL.
You have your foot in the door and unless they have absolutely nothing for you, stay there.
If there is nothing there, get the boss to make a few calls for you...
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
marko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby marko » Mon Mar 29 2010, 06:11

Well done theyeti for getting out there and getting that job you may have giving me the motivation to get off my bum and do the trip. Jezz nice one lad congrats its nice when it fall right in front of you. Will have to look into B47 rating every little bit helps.
M
MyTarget
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MyTarget » Sun May 16 2010, 10:01

I hear CHC are bringing in more S92's with a LSAR capability, and truth to this?
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Sun May 16 2010, 10:23

My Target- It could very well be true. There is a lot of work about in offshore about at the moment, and the next Woodside contract is soon to be announced. If true, however, it is interesting to see them persevere with the 92 as it seems to have a bit of a sullied reputation at the moment with gearbox/vibration/noise/pax comfort issues. Most of the oil companies are asking for the for the 225 these days.

Speaking of 225s and rumours. Word is that VIH/Cougar have a pair of them sitting in a hangar in Perth at the moment.

Interesting times.

Cheers MD
MyTarget
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MyTarget » Mon May 17 2010, 06:53

Thanks MD

I thought i would get ahead of the game and i sent a expression of interest to HR CHC, basically got told don't need any offshore drivers at the moment. If we do it will be on the website..............Thought i would be a cheap option with my S92 rating. Oh well better go and load the next 19 pax and bus them offshore! (c:_ol

Cheers
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon May 17 2010, 09:06

Mongrel Dog wrote:Speaking of 225s and rumours. Word is that VIH/Cougar have a pair of them sitting in a hangar in Perth at the moment

could be for the HNZ/cougar partnership for some job up north.

Return to “General Employment Questions”