Anyone know of any jobs going?!

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Anyone know of any jobs going?!

Postby i4iq » Wed Jul 2 2003, 07:17

Thanks Les

I've re-requested being on the CHC Mailing list. Will keep knocking on their door.

Are you recommending I speak to the Canadians? Not sure who to speak with in Australia...

Thanks again
Cheers

i4iq

"Some profound statement that I haven't got around to coming up with yet..."
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Thu Jul 3 2003, 10:19

PhilJ,

Right off the top of my head I can think of about five pilots who probably haven't seen their log book in several years, it would probably require concerted effort to even locate their log book and would probably be happy if they never saw their log book again.

Noted that they all work in Oil and Gas and the company keeps flight records for some period of time, not sure how long or in what form though, but the format is probably just the date, ACFT side number, hours flown and the pilots name on some digital format.

Having flown O&G myself I understand after a year or two why these pilots don't log their flights. After a 14 hour duty day and up to 9-10 hours in a cockpit there is little chance a pilot wants to do anything other than eat, shower and sleep. In O&G there is no real way to log individual legs, some pilots will do over 100 landings a day and log over a hundred hours in two weeks. At least in the GOM anyway, not sure what the deal is over in OZ/NZ.

Just to give you an idea there are almost 4000 oil platforms in the GOM, most get a visit by a helicopter at least once a day, sometimes many times a day and those are all just the fixed structures, if you count the boats and drilling rigs there's a lot more landing options.

But by far the thing I like the most about O&G work... the fishing!!!

Yankee
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Les Norton
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Les Norton » Thu Jul 3 2003, 18:17

i4iq, If you are looking to get into oil and gas, don't limit yourself to just CHC. Try all of them. Their is alot of tender for contracts out there at the moment, and once they get announced I'd say the winner of the big 3 (Bristow, CHC, HNZ) will all be looking for more drivers to fullfill the work. I've heard Bristow's have already started hiring again.

Best of luck with it, great job once you get in.
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Anyone know of any jobs going?!

Postby i4iq » Fri Nov 20 2009, 02:06

Hi All

Been a while since my last post...

Just wondered if anyone knows of any jobs going at present? (I guess there's a lot of people in the same 'boat'?)

I've got about 1,250 hours mostly R22, R44 and some in Shweizer 300 CB and CBi, plus a handful in the 206. CFII in the US and CPL(H) and IREX exam credit here in Australia. Permanent resident - about to become citizen!

I'm happy to do any kind of flying and willing to travel.

Any heads-up would be appreciated - as would any advice!

Thanks in advance
Cheers

i4iq

flyguy101
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyguy101 » Fri Nov 20 2009, 02:15

Well you have more hours than me and its tough out there. There are not many jobs for us guys under 130 hours.
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby i4iq » Fri Nov 20 2009, 03:10

I guess it's be expected but worth asking still!
Cheers

i4iq

skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Nov 20 2009, 09:31

i4iq
There seems to be a lot of survey work in piston machines in WA. :D

flyguy101
It's rarely easy to get the first flying job, but thousands have. :D
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Nov 20 2009, 10:03

The jobs are still there if you look hard enough, and in the right places. Granted, some experience helps and opens more doors, but jobs for those of all levels of experience are still there...even the under 130hr pilots.

Skypig's words ring very true indeed.
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby i4iq » Fri Nov 20 2009, 11:37

Thanks Skypig

I've tried one operator over there. Still waiting to hear back. Will definitely try some more...
Cheers

i4iq

skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Nov 20 2009, 13:11

Be careful mate, the Sunshine Coast can be hard to leave :cool_slp:
I guess one of the obstructions to being in the right place at the right time in Australia is the size.
I also suppose that someone in Perth getting a resume or phone call from someone on the East Coast wouldn’t get too excited about it, unless the person had some pretty serious and hard to find skills.
Its part of often repeated advice but: Unless someone says “There is defiantly no chance here”, it’s worth seeing them.

Look at it this way – If you had 1000hrs and a CPL, your best friend could own a company who operated ME SPIFR machines for an Australian Medical provider, and they could NEVER give you a start.
If you find an operator that has in the past given people with your experience a start, and you hang around long enough (and seem acceptable in the general areas they require, customer focused, mechanically adept, whatever.) you will eventually get a go – virtually guaranteed.

Is the Surf still crap? I'm back in 11 days (but who's counting?)

Surf Pig 8)
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby i4iq » Sat Nov 21 2009, 01:59

Skypig

Thanks for the feedback... I'm happy to go anywhere to fly, although Iraq and Afghanistan don't really appeal too much!

As for the surf...

"Swell size: 1-2ft ESE
Only small weekend waves on offer this morning with mainly 1ft+ of ESE swell and the occasional 2ft'er along the open stretches. The wind is light out of the NW early shifting NE/N throughout the afternoon. Ripple riders can try the open beaches early, then Sunshine, Yaroomba, Kawana and Kings. Check the latest Coastalwatch forecast."
Cheers

i4iq

Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Sat Nov 21 2009, 02:56

There's been bit of movement at Bristows lately. Wouldn't surprise me if they start recruiting again sometime next year. If you think offshore might be your bag, keep an eye out in the Australian.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Sat Nov 21 2009, 04:50

Just a question, I have noticed on CVs that that some like to have the exact model of aircraft flown, if you are endorsed on a 300, are you not endorsed on all variants CB and CBi?

As with the 47 (B, D, G, H, J), Jetranger, (B, B2, B3) and Squirrel (B, BA, B2, B3) and so on.

Cheers

B S
OzCan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby OzCan » Sat Nov 21 2009, 07:20

Bellslapper,

Sorry to be the one to inform you, but as you did your endorsement on the S76A model all those hours that you have done in the S76C model dont count so that means i have more 76 time then you again ....... :P :twisted:
To most the sky is the limit, for me....the sky is home.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Sat Nov 21 2009, 19:22

OZCAN ! ! !

:lol: you been drinking again havnt you :lol:
Low Time
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Low Time » Sat Nov 21 2009, 20:33

If he has Bellslapper, it won't be much. He always was a 3 pot screamer :lol:
The Voices Are Back: 'Excellent!!'
i4iq
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby i4iq » Sat Nov 21 2009, 22:16

Mongrel Dog

Thanks Mate - will keep a look out there too.
Cheers

i4iq

Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sat Nov 21 2009, 23:07

I know a bunch of pilots that don't keep log books anymore,,, I guess after a certain point there just aint much more point to it... then again, I have a sneaky suspicion that some of these pilots really aren't interested in flying any more but they don't have a choice with the sucky economy.

Wish I didn't have to keep a log book anymore...
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Sun Nov 22 2009, 00:44

Low Time

3??? bit of a stayer when we use to cut laps,he was always a 2 pot screamer :lol:
OzCan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby OzCan » Sun Nov 22 2009, 00:54

Turn it up boys!!!
If your eyes wernt swollen closed from your First Pint, you would realise that im the pour bastard that has to shovel you guys into the cab to get you home safely!! Old boys hey just cant handle the truth!!

No doubt this will get put to the test at the end of the year!! Oc:= **^**
To most the sky is the limit, for me....the sky is home.

Return to “General Employment Questions”