Ex-army or civvi

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
pavlov's dog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Ex-army or civvi

Postby pavlov's dog » Fri Oct 9 2009, 07:25

Heli wrote:Depending on the interview, I'd go for the civvie 'applicant'. There is a significant difference in the Mil way to the Civvie (CASA?) way of doing many things, which after so long in the Army would take some changing.

As MC says, it's taken him a long time to get used to the CASA way, and he'd be in one of the most "CASA" exposed Mil jobs going!

There aren't that many significant differences, at least operationally. If there were there'd be all kinds of issues with mil aircrew operating in civil airspace! The military version of AIP (FLIP) is essentially AIP with a few sections removed and a few variations in place. Half an hour leafing through AIP and FLIP will show the mil guy where the differences are -and they're not that significant (mainly less detail on LSALT calculation, a few different requirements for determining alternates, and flight over water being the main ones). Not all that hard to come to grips with.

CAR, CAO, etc are a bit of a shock to the system -very poorly arranged in comparison to the military regs. Typically though they're not the kind of thing you need to trawl in to daily, so once you're happy with how your civil operation works (and complies) you can save them for bedtime reading. Some mentoring from an experienced civi operator will also help the mil guy get up to speed quickly.

I think its normal for people to defend/recommend their background and, not to be rude, I don't know how anyone can offer a valid opinion on the civi vs military unless they've either worked as or with both. I certainly think MC, Sickhorsey and myself have offered fairly well moderated opinions (except perhaps where someone clearly needed to be put back in their box...).

PD
Jinkai
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jinkai » Fri Oct 9 2009, 07:57

I really can't take it

I've occasionally looked at this site for years and it always seems to be filled with offended people jumping on other offended peoples band wagens

1 person say's something that some may find offensive and the whole topic fills up with the offended people being offensive to the original offender, now even I'm confused.

please just don't respond to whoever you think offended you and get on with it.

now I've added to the bitching. Guess I'll stop then
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Fri Oct 9 2009, 08:39

What if the civi is better qualified, but is an arrogant know-all, or the ex-mil candidate is his squadron's lost cause, or the civi has excellent references and experience and the ex-mil dude is an absolute solid bloke with good commercial sense?

There is no answer to this question until you look at exactly who your applicants are........

P1
SICK HORSEY
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SICK HORSEY » Fri Oct 9 2009, 09:02

Ahh the moderated voice of reason......well said P1.

Jinkai,

"Pot this is kettle, colour check, over". Can't take it then don't look....derr :twisted:

PS - My band wagon's in the shop, can I borrow yours??

.....and roger, getting on with it. :D :D
Doors

Postby Doors » Mon Oct 12 2009, 04:52

True B man style

Return to “General Employment Questions”