Superyachts with Helicopters

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
thumpin206

Superyachts with Helicopters

Postby thumpin206 » Mon May 25 2009, 05:46

Hey all,
Just a general question and thread on working on superyachts with helicopters on them!
Im a 23 year old pilot from NZ, currently employed straight out of training by a company I worked hard for doing s*#t jobs for the time of my training! I was in the right place and the right time... Anyways
I always dreamed of flying a helicopter off a superyacht and would love to hear of anyone who has done this or knows of anyone who does, good yachts to work off of, hours flown etc basically anything that would be of assistance to me, from what i've heard its a low hour per annum job and most boats require you to double as a deckhand??
Any information would be much appreciated, cheers!! keep it in the green
bob felcher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Superyachts with Helicopters

Postby bob felcher » Mon May 25 2009, 06:50

From what ive seen over the years you would need a JAR or FAA licence as most of those posts are overseas. Have heard of pilots who have worked off yachts like the True North and Kimberly Quest in the North of Western Australia but you would probably need a few thousand hours in turbines. Not wanting to burst your bubble but from where you are now you would want to look at something like that in a few years from now. Anyway keep racking those hours up and have fun cheers bob
the older I get the better I was
thumpin206

Postby thumpin206 » Mon May 25 2009, 09:47

thanks bob, much appreciated to hear about it! from what i know it is a few thousand hour job im just wandering if its something i want to pursue or not
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon May 25 2009, 10:59

What super-rich person would want a low-time pilot carrying him around? You won't get a start at this sort of stuff until you have considerable diverse experience. You can't expect somebody to toss you the keys to the Lamborghini when you are still on your P plates.

I know a couple of pilots who do this, and they have been around for a long time. One started out as an aircraft engineer, did the pilot licence, and has now gained his marine engineers ticket and boat masters, covering all the spots and making himself very useful.
thumpin206

Postby thumpin206 » Mon May 25 2009, 11:17

clearly i wasnt looking for employment eric hunt u f#%k idiot, if u had nothing good to contribute (which u didnt) why waste the skin on ur fingers typing that bs. ur obviously one of the best pilots in the world with 10,000+ hours and on a seven figure salary?? the industry could do without people like u
wyldman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wyldman » Mon May 25 2009, 11:35

Eric made his share of points though champ. Sure he put it plainly, but no point beating round the bush. You asked a question, and got given an answer.

Anyway, I thank you for the laugh reading such pointless posts.

P.s - plenty of yachts in Fiji, Tahiti etc

WM
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Mon May 25 2009, 11:48

Woah there thumpin'! Eric IS a 10,000+ hour pilot who is a valuable asset to this industry and this forum. His response was topical and concise, even though it may not have been what you wanted to hear. I have left your comment here as an example, please be a little more restrained when posting here in future.
hell pirate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hell pirate » Mon May 25 2009, 18:38

Boyz, in this world its not all you think it to be. Yes who wants a snotty-nosed kid with an attitude and who's toewi'er than a horny goat.
But then again if he was polishing stainless steel on the bosses Yacht and the boss liked him with 0 hours. The boss will pay for his PPL/CPL noworries.
Seen it all before being in the industry.
And yes you are right with the hours as most bosses want x Mil cos most of these rich blokes have to have there "6"s watched all the time.
Its a great life and loads of fun being on a yacht with a great boss and fantastic crew travelling around the world and getting paid/fed/watered/free Accom and victuals. The work is hard and there are long hours, but very rewarding if you consider that the boss pays for everything. Even your STCW's renewals.
But get it wrong with the boss or captain and you can find yourself walking the plank very fast.
But thumpin206 live the dream your only 23. You could even end up with your MCA 3000 t ticket making twice as much as a pilot in another 5 years.
Well maybe not. But live the dream and live each day as its your last.
And its not what you know" Its who you know in life that counts.

P.S they are always looking for pilots on the Sea Shepard or Tuna boats.
gadget
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby gadget » Mon May 25 2009, 22:29

a good example of poor communication perhaps on both sides of the coin

thumpin - not a good start for you, when asking a question of you peers here on the forum, try to convey the question as clearly as possible, so that your intention is not prone to misinterpretation.

Write what you are thinking in response, but before posting it, walk away, have a smoke, coffee, colonic irrigation, whatever you require to purge yourself of any pent up angst before replying. You will more often than not rewrite your entire response, the content & point will still be there, but the wording will be completely different.

You're 23, you have the world in front of you & your pilots license already behind you (you lucky bastard)
Perhaps you could have worded it better, perhaps some of the others responses could have been worded better, as they could be read as a bit narcy, depending on your frame of mind when you read it, & how succeptable you are to the bait that is often thrown on such forums.
Grow a thick skin, don't take things as a personal attack.

Everyone has a dream, everyone has a different target where they want to end up, some want to end up as a captain doing offshore to the rigs, some want to end up on the fires, some want to end up as air-ambulace/rescue, some want to end up chasing cattle, some want to end up doing MPT or as a personal chauffeur for the rich & filthy, each to their own.
'no.... I will not fix your computer'
skidmark
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skidmark » Tue May 26 2009, 06:13

Too bad Thumpin,
I do EXACTLY the type of work you're describing and it is an AWESOME LIFE! Reading your first post I was going to be happy to tell you how I got there and give some advice. Reading your last post, I don't feel like it anymore.
Oogle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Oogle » Tue May 26 2009, 12:38

I, like Skidmark, also work on one of the Superyachts and I thoroughly enjoy it. Contrary to popular belief, my job is to look after the aircraft and I help the deckhands if I have the time (not a requirement on my yacht). The pay is good but the hours can be long when the boss is on board. Flying approx. 100 hours per year which is just fine by me. If he only flew 50 hours a year it would not bother me either.

Because of the calibre of individual you are flying, you will need minimum of 3-4000 hours with multi-engine, night & instrument tickets. But, be warned, your attitude might not be too welcomed on board and you can easily be flicked at the drop of a hat. If the boss likes you and trusts you as a pilot, you will stay. If you try to bull$hit him, he will know and its "goodbye".

I have seen most parts of the world and I am extremely lucky to have been given the opportunity. My boss & his family are fantastic people.

Skidmark, might see you around the Med sometime.
made4trade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby made4trade » Tue May 26 2009, 14:04

Thanks for the entertainment Thumpin, I love it when someone snaps!
vic
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby vic » Tue May 26 2009, 14:27

Something to keep dreaming about for the moment till a license comes along for starters, then a fair few hours to say the least!

Sounds amazing though.. wouldn't be such a bad lifestyle!

Is the not-so-many-hours a year a bad thing or not really an issue now that you've got a fair few hours under your belt already?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed May 27 2009, 11:06

Skiddie, Oogle, what do you fly?????????

And is it the right helicopter for the job???
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
made4trade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby made4trade » Wed May 27 2009, 12:24

Skiddie, Oogle, what are the chicks like!
Bake

Postby Bake » Mon Apr 9 2018, 09:58

I would give ultimate price in this category to the yacht called Eclipse. That thing have two helipads and a ways to shoot down other helicopters because it has its own anti-air and anti-rocket defense system. That is just nuts. :D On the other hand, can it sink as this one? No, it cant, Italy is still way ahead of the curve. :D
RichKann
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RichKann » Tue Apr 10 2018, 01:11

pop;
Last edited by RichKann on Tue Apr 10 2018, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Apr 10 2018, 02:26

Almost a 9 year old thread.
thumping206 would be 32 based on the original post.
(Dam.. I feel old just thinking of that.)

What are you up to now thumping206?
Based on those years, you should have the minimums by now surely.

And yep. I love superyachts!
Sorry to say I will never own one....
There is always an option.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Thu Apr 12 2018, 08:23

'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Apr 12 2018, 09:03

Gonsky, they suggested putting delightful machines like Leonardos and Sikorskys on, but then they say to put an R44 onto a superyacht?

Journalists don't know nuffink...

Return to “General Employment Questions”