Making the most of the quiet times, what to do??

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Cleanme2

Making the most of the quiet times, what to do??

Postby Cleanme2 » Thu May 21 2020, 01:52

Hello, been a lurker for a long time, now time for my first post!

Here is my story... I was flying tours in the US of A, in R44s. I was over there for a few years, when i left i headed to Australia to look for work, i arrived in NSW in January, i have around 2000 hours from tours and other 200 from flight instruction.

Obviously, the industry is vastly different now to what it was when i arrived in Australia and i have no work and few prospects. I am trying to keep positive about everything. I have a lot of spare time on my hands and im trying to be as productive as possible.

I am doing several online courses, reviewing old training notes and watching stuff on youtube etc.

What are other people doing, what suggestions do people have to try and keep current/involved with the industry during this time??

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Cleanme2 on Thu May 21 2020, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Making the most of the quiet times, what to do??

Postby choppermech1986 » Thu May 21 2020, 04:39

Master your craft and up-skill.

If you have a CASA FI(H) license, learn the CASA syllabus backwards, know the Aussie regs and if you don't already, know R22 and R44 POH's like the back of your hand. Treat it like a job, 6hrs a day of studying and writing flashcards and use the other time to keep sane, enjoy your hobby, have a beer in the backyard etc. 400hrs isn't much but if your knowledge base is good, the hands and feet come easily. I'd also spend an hour a day networking, researching companies etc, the more you know about the industry, the better positioned you are to get the job you want.

Also use this time to convert any licenses (if able), instrument rating etc.

Good luck!
Cleanme2

Postby Cleanme2 » Thu May 21 2020, 05:25

Many thanks for the advice. I have a FAA instructor rating, I will look into converting that, I’m also thinking of getting my low level endorsement too?

A typo on the original post, I have 2000 hours from tours, now edited.

I am definitely having beers in the yard
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Fri May 22 2020, 06:15

2000hrs changes a lot of things. You probably don't want to instruct anymore, in which case, not really worth going through the rigmarole.

You will need to be a bit more specific about your past and what you'd like to achieve and most importantly, where you would like to live. There will be a few options for 2000hr guys on the other side of this pandemic, but those will most likely be for multi-faceted people who bring a lot to a workplace, I guess now is the time to be building the skills for those jobs.

Enjoy those beers!
dole time

Postby dole time » Fri May 22 2020, 11:41

Not to sound like I am against it at all, but how is it that a USA pilot is allowed to work here and we are not able to work there? visa and immigration speaking..
Just waiting for dole time.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri May 22 2020, 15:00

dole time wrote:Not to sound like I am against it at all, but how is it that a USA pilot is allowed to work here and we are not able to work there? visa and immigration speaking..

An Australian can work in the USA on an E3 visa. You just have to find the right company that needs you.

I’ve seen a few fire companies have Aussies fly 212’s and now some UH60’s on E3’s
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
UnObvious
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby UnObvious » Sat May 23 2020, 01:32

dole time wrote:Not to sound like I am against it at all, but how is it that a USA pilot is allowed to work here and we are not able to work there? visa and immigration speaking..

I worked the last two northern summers over there on an E3 visa. Much easier for aussies to work in the US than Canadians for some crazy reason.
Mag seal
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Mag seal » Sat May 23 2020, 02:17

UnObvious wrote:

I worked the last two northern summers over there on an E3 visa. Much easier for aussies to work in the US than Canadians for some crazy reason.

Do you need to be sponsored by a company or do you apply for the E3 Visa and then go looking for work?
UnObvious
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby UnObvious » Sat May 23 2020, 02:32

Mag seal wrote:
UnObvious wrote:

Do you need to be sponsored by a company or do you apply for the E3 Visa and then go looking for work?

The visa is tied to a company. They apply for an LCA and once that's granted you go to the consulate and have an interview. 2 year expiry but can be renewed.
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Sat May 23 2020, 13:53

You can also fly for work in the US as a non-citizen on an F1 visa for a couple of years through a flight school, usually after you do all your training with them.
Wannabe60Driver

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun May 24 2020, 00:04

E-3 visa came about in 2005 between Bush and Howard officially as a bonus to Australia for inking a free trade deal. Word is it had just as much to do with our military helping out in Iraq. Either way, it’s good deal and it’s unique to Australian citizens that can prove they have qualifications required by a US company.

Return to “General Employment Questions”