COVID-19 and Job Prospects

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
hralsy79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

COVID-19 and Job Prospects

Postby hralsy79 » Wed Mar 18 2020, 10:20

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any impact on the industry due to the current COVID-19 situation?

I am a low hour pilot trying to secure some work, and knowing how tough it already was to land a seat, I was wondering if the restrictions starting to be put into place as a result of COVID-19 is impacting job prospects?
In particular, the tourist sector of the industry that might rely heavily upon international tourists.

(P.S. if anyone is looking for a hard working, dedicated and enthusiastic pilot, shoot me a DM :D )
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: COVID-19 and Job Prospects

Postby nuggs » Wed Mar 18 2020, 10:33

yep definitely harder now. can't see any tourist operators hiring until this all blows over. especially hit would be the ones reliant on the Chinese (cairns, Airlie beach ect)
hralsy79
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby hralsy79 » Wed Mar 18 2020, 10:46

nuggs wrote:yep definitely harder now. can't see any tourist operators hiring until this all blows over. especially hit would be the ones reliant on the Chinese (cairns, Airlie beach ect)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm starting to see the impact on non-aviation related tourism, so would imagine aviation is suffering.

Thankfully I have a career to fall back on for the time being while still looking for that heli job.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Fri Mar 20 2020, 02:21

I was hoping to get a new flying gig.

Thankfully while not having a job I went back to my trade a few months ago.

Very happy I did.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Mar 21 2020, 00:11

Don't get too down about it. It will pass. Use the time to make connections, get on top of your knowledge base and be very ready to be the most professional you can be whenever an opportunity pops up.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Sat Mar 21 2020, 02:32

I doubt there will be any new tourism jobs coming up in the next couple of years. Some companies WILL go out of business unless they hold good emergency type contracts (fires etc) to keep them ticking over.

However, it will pass and the Reef, Rock or whatever scenic flight will start again after the travellers home country economies have recovered to a level that gives them the disposable income to holiday again.

I can't see any positives in our industry at the moment with the COVID 19 virus around.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Mar 21 2020, 03:26

As much as we all had to admit it publicly, helicopters generally thrive on destruction and devastation. So there’s alway work for helicopters.

There are parts of the industry that get hit pretty easily like oil aircraft, and tourism. The oil helicopter side of things is pretty cyclical boom and bust every 5-7 years or so.

The ems, Fire, powerline support etc always stays there and gets busier at times depending on the seasons.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Mar 22 2020, 01:15

Good point havick. You would feel pretty secure working for the likes of Babcock EMS, Toll, CareFlight, Westpac, QAir etc. best of luck to all
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Mar 22 2020, 01:57

And just like that, Airline pilots go from “set for life” to “up s#it creek”!!

With oil at $23/barrel, and in free fall, I’m likely in the same canoe (Sans paddle)

Not many predicted the end of the world as we know it would be brought about by a flu.
At least global warming no longer exists.
Cockroach
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cockroach » Sun Mar 22 2020, 08:07

I need a like button, sky pig's comment made me giggle in these serious times. Good luck all.

Return to “General Employment Questions”