Work visas to Canada

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
NZPilot1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Work visas to Canada

Postby NZPilot1 » Fri Aug 31 2018, 00:57

I know there has been discussion on this in the past but wondering if anyone who has headed to Canada to fly, in more recent times; without prior experience there could shed some light on the visa process to get in there.
Is the only way with a working holiday? or can you get a standard visa as a skilled worker without a sponsor?
I know there are differences for Kiwis and Aussies info on either would be helpful, as well as the fact that each year there are changes to the process and changes to the pilot shortage/surplus, so any recent experience would be appreciated.
Looking at going but can't do the working holiday thing.
Thanks in advance
Outbackheli

Re: Work visas to Canada

Postby Outbackheli » Fri Aug 31 2018, 08:41

They’ve just increased the age limit for Australians from 31 to 35 to come online with the NZ age limit

https://moving2canada.com/australians-35-years-iec-canada-program/
NZPilot1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NZPilot1 » Sat Sep 1 2018, 10:53

Cheers for that! Would be interested if anyone has managed to get a standard work visa for Canada as a pilot without being sponsored?
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Sat Sep 1 2018, 13:05

There's been a shortage of drill moving guys this year, so if you've got that in your back pocket you might be able to get sponsored.

Maybe try posting on the vertical forum, I hear they love us southerners over there!
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Thu Sep 6 2018, 20:16

I moved over there in 2012 but not as a Pilot, The process was rather easy though. Just had to pay a fee for the visa and fill the form out.
I believe the visa lasted 2 years.
Easy to renew as well.

But as a pilot i am unsure.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Sep 7 2018, 04:14

Are you over 35?
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Sep 7 2018, 06:27

I wouldn't bother if you don't have 1500-2000 hours
NZPilot1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NZPilot1 » Sat Sep 8 2018, 01:18

Cheers guys, yes I did hear the age limit has changed for working holiday visa, so will be able to try that initially and then maybe try a sponsored visa after the fact. And yes have been made aware that 1500hrs seems to be a bench mark number for work in Canada. Thanks for the comments though, good to hear similar stuff about hour minimums.
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Sat Sep 8 2018, 02:46

Hi all,
I did a bit of research for myself in the past. I’m over 40... unfortunately... First and easy way is to be sponsored, second option: check for the following year the jobs list, if the H pilot is in it, it’ Possible to apply for a permanent resident visa without a sponsor.
If English is your first language a proficiency test in French is required also. Lower age get more points, unfortunately they don’t consider that an older guy/ woman can bring more experience into the country..( this is my opinion)
Hope it help cheers
)c/ Old Grumpy but Handsome Man 8)
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Sat Sep 8 2018, 04:01

NZPilot1 wrote:Cheers for that! Would be interested if anyone has managed to get a standard work visa for Canada as a pilot without being sponsored?

This question confuses me...
??? Literally every single driver under the age of 31 has been before you on a simple working holiday visa with no sponsorship.
NZPilot1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby NZPilot1 » Sat Sep 8 2018, 11:42

Hey Pinnacle, The reason I ask about a peoples experience with getting non-working holiday visas is that not everyone fits into the criteria for the working holiday visa... hence my interest in a residency type visa or will need to try the sponsorship way.
annaang

Postby annaang » Fri Dec 11 2020, 05:02

My brother was going to come to Canada for college this September, so I emailed one of the immigrant consultants https://immigratenow.ca/ and she emailed me the following information about the visa. Hope this information would help you :)

If you are having a student visa, and now outside of Canada.
If you plan to come to Canada as an international student after October 20, 2020:
Your DLI must be on the list of DLIs with approved COVID-19 readiness plans before you travel to Canada.
You must have a valid study permit or have been approved for a study permit.
This applies to all international students, whether you’re travelling from the United States or from any other country.

Here is the link to read more from the Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

Here is the updated information from GOC for working visa: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit.html

Return to “General Employment Questions”