Looking For Entry Level Job

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Garthman

Looking For Entry Level Job

Postby Garthman » Tue May 29 2018, 07:33

I have completed my CPL a few years ago and paid off my loans recently so I can start working in the industry now.
I am happy to relocate anywhere in Australia and happy to work as ground crew to get a start in the industry.
I have several years in customer service & Sales and social media marketing.

Recently completed my flight review in the R44
90 hrs 300CBI and 25 hrs R44
Current: Class 1
Current: ASIC
Current: DG

I finding it a little bit difficult to get a start in the Industry and wondering if anyone know if an operator needs help.

Thank you
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Looking For Entry Level Job

Postby Rotorpilot » Tue May 29 2018, 09:51

It's kind of like woollies or Coles get your number and wait in line. I think it's up too 1584 entry level guys looking for work at the mement. I could be wrong though, it may be 1800......... But there is a shortage of pilots just ask channel 9 and a few RTO's trying to fill vacancies in there next enrolment.
Dem winds are gonna blow
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Tue May 29 2018, 10:02

Garth, have you tried some of the basics like calling operators in the tourism sector such as The Helicopter Group, PHS, 12 Apostles etc?
Combustion Chamber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Combustion Chamber » Tue May 29 2018, 20:38

Hey Mate,

As you know you will start off in tourism unless you are lucky enough to find something else. Contact every company that operates an R44 in the tourism game. Now some will have minimums, but you won’t know that until you make contact. Work out where your best options are and maybe even move to that area and find other work, and letting the local operator know you are now living in the area.
You can’t sit in one part of the country hoping to get work in another part with basic hours, not saying you might not fluke it, but from my experience works better and faster if you move closer.
There’s plenty of different companies around that may give you a shot, you just need to do some homework with google and make contact with them.
In regards to the moving around, if you are single or have a partner that’s happy to move around, just do it. Enjoy the experience and adventure of looking for the work and seeing different places. There is heaps of other work out there to keep you going until your get the flying gig your after.
I personally drove over 4000k’s saying Gday to different companies and based myself so I was close to three major players in the NT and Kimberley Region. Within 3months I had a loading job, another 3 months after that I was flying. I worked in a local pub to supplement my income initially. Now I wouldn’t have got this opportunity if I had have stayed on the east coast..
Enjoy the search, it’s part of the experience.
So mate, if you really want it, it’s out there, take the leap and just enjoy.
Not one for gossip, but did you hear about the???
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed May 30 2018, 01:22

Combustion Chamber wrote:Hey Mate,

As you know you will start off in tourism unless you are lucky enough to find something else. Contact every company that operates an R44 in the tourism game. Now some will have minimums, but you won’t know that until you make contact. Work out where your best options are and maybe even move to that area and find other work, and letting the local operator know you are now living in the area.
You can’t sit in one part of the country hoping to get work in another part with basic hours, not saying you might not fluke it, but from my experience works better and faster if you move closer.
There’s plenty of different companies around that may give you a shot, you just need to do some homework with google and make contact with them.
In regards to the moving around, if you are single or have a partner that’s happy to move around, just do it. Enjoy the experience and adventure of looking for the work and seeing different places. There is heaps of other work out there to keep you going until your get the flying gig your after.
I personally drove over 4000k’s saying Gday to different companies and based myself so I was close to three major players in the NT and Kimberley Region. Within 3months I had a loading job, another 3 months after that I was flying. I worked in a local pub to supplement my income initially. Now I wouldn’t have got this opportunity if I had have stayed on the east coast..
Enjoy the search, it’s part of the experience.
So mate, if you really want it, it’s out there, take the leap and just enjoy.

Great outcome CC. Some sage advice from your experience and the guys and gals that follow this well-trodden path end up flying eventually. It is a well-proven formula for success and has worked for decades. Sending resumes via email and hoping for the best will get you nowhere.
Garthman

Postby Garthman » Wed May 30 2018, 06:41

Thankyou for all your help and advice guys i am going to move up north soon and give it a shot.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Wed May 30 2018, 07:46

All the best Garth good luck!

Return to “General Employment Questions”