Employment and CPL training opportunity - Kununurra

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Alistair Farnhill

Employment and CPL training opportunity - Kununurra

Postby Alistair Farnhill » Mon Apr 23 2018, 06:51

Hello,

We are a fixed wing aerial application company in Kununurra WA that is chasing a full time ground personnel. We are thinking it could be a good opportunity for an aspiring pilot to come to Kununurra and earn some good money working within the aviation industry while training locally for their helicopter CPL.

Kununurra has a CASA exam centre and a helicopter training school along with a close nit aviation community. Our required work hours might work out well for someone dedicated to self studying their CPL theory and then completing their flying training while working within the aviation industry. Our job would involve the mixing and loading of agricultural chemicals for our Air Tractor aircraft as well as managing the day to day ground operations of the company.

For any questions please call Alistair 0488 747 400.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Employment and CPL training opportunity - Kununurra

Postby skypig » Tue Apr 24 2018, 10:01

I know nothing of this operator, or the training school mentioned, but this sounds like a really good option for the right person.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Tue Apr 24 2018, 22:12

Isn't it same as doing any other job and working on licence/ratings rest of time as able with funding etc?

I have seen NZ based ads on here for loader/driver and maybe later some repositioning stick time, second or third season as heli pilot with same company, but how would fixed wing ag ops help Heli wannabe per se? Work experience for next operator with helicopters in fleet?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Tue Apr 24 2018, 22:59

You're right, if you want to fly helicopters & you have the option then you're better to be a loader/driver for a helicopter Ag company than a fixed wing company, but the experience gained working for a fixed wing operator is very valuable when compared to a non-aviation related job. I started as a fixed wing loader/driver which got me a job as a rotary loader/driver which got me a job as a rotary Ag pilot.
As with any industry it's not what you know, it's who you know. A good employment reference from a fixed wing operator will be worth it's weight in gold when applying for rotary jobs.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Apr 25 2018, 23:35

Many people have to give up their “good paying” job to do their study/training. Therefore need the money for training, and the ability to also live off their savings.
The opportunity to earn (in the industry) while you fly/study could make a big difference.

Thats why it sounded like a good option (for the right person).
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Sun Apr 29 2018, 06:11

I've worked for the operator as a line pilot.

The school is good not a sausage factory... not many students... instructors with loads of industry experience mustering long line etc. Teach you how to fly in the bush above and beyond the syllabus... not for everyone and a bit more expensive but a good place to start a career.

No ground school.

Operator was previously slingair/heliwork a well trodden path to starting a career.

Return to “General Employment Questions”