Best time to do the drive?

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
unusual_attitude

Best time to do the drive?

Postby unusual_attitude » Mon Sep 25 2017, 21:59

I'm a junior pilot based in Sydney with some 200+ hours and around 80 hours R44, mostly PIC. HUET, DG, ASIC etc.

I'm planning on visiting operators up and down the coast but I wanted to find out if there was a period when operators are looking to hire, maybe for an increase in tourism in summer or something similar. Are there differences in that timing in different parts of Australia? What would be the best time to go looking?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Best time to do the drive?

Postby havick » Mon Sep 25 2017, 22:54

2-3 months before tourist season kicks off in which ever region you're targeting
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
unusual_attitude

Postby unusual_attitude » Mon Sep 25 2017, 23:53

Does the tourist season up north avoid cyclone season or does it still go on during summer?
averagejoe
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby averagejoe » Tue Sep 26 2017, 10:47

Summer up in the northern regions = wet season which generally means bugger all tourists...
stick_monkey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stick_monkey » Tue Sep 26 2017, 14:03

Hi UA,
Your NSW winter is tourist season up north (dry season) and your NSW Summer is tourist season down south.
As Havick says, start talking to operators 2-3 months before the season starts.
It's very unusual to work both seasons back to back (as they generally run for 6-8 months), so just aim for one.
My advice is to target three operators that your research suggests will consider hiring junior guys; phone them first to ask if you can visit, then visit with your CV in hand, then ask if you can call them once a month to let them know that you're still around and still keen.
Good luck
Combustion Chamber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Combustion Chamber » Tue Sep 26 2017, 20:17

You have limited yourself straightaway, why only the east coast??
Once you start the drive, plan to not go home as there is plenty of other work out there to keep you close to operators who employ low hour pilots. Don't forget you have the Northern Territory and the top part of Western Australia that give many a pilot a chance and make sure you do you look thoroughly as there are companies out there who don't have big fancy websites.
Treat the drive as an adventure/experience, don't think of it as a burden. You will see some great things along the way and meet some great characters and it will be something you will look back on as a great memory.
Visit every company that has the aircraft you can fly, ring first and make sure it's alright though, and see what vibe you get.
My suggestion would be to enjoy Sydney over the summer, look up Bluesky Helicopters, as they were looking for ground crew, this is where you could get some good experience/contacts, or contact a couple of the Victorian tourism companies, and then be up in the N.T and W.A by the beginning of March talking to the companies and being there on the spot in case some pilots don't return or they need extra.
Don't limit yourself to one part of Australia, get out there and explore.
Enjoy!!
Not one for gossip, but did you hear about the???
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Sep 27 2017, 01:48

Get yourself a hiace or sprinter van you can turn into a campervan.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Wed Sep 27 2017, 03:07

Having only landed my first flying gig this year I can tell you now don't limit job searches to the east coast. I ended up calling around 45 operators with even more to go on a big list I made up. Luckily enough one called me back with an offer one day and I've now spent the past 6 months in the Kimberley region of WA. Couldn't have asked for a better place to be able to fly, and a company in which junior pilots get a hot running chance to make a career out of it.

There are thousands of junior pilots looking for work on the east coast but very few willing to make the move into other areas so it gives you a step up straight away. Most east coast company's want you doing a bunch of ground time before getting anywhere near the controls, I would have spent a few days learning the ropes and then was out and about flying tourism in no time. It was a last minute phone call that I got but I'm glad I never turned down the offer as it has been the best experience of my life, and who would have known I would have been able to progress this far in a company in such a short period of time.

All I can say is make the most of the career and what it has to offer don't turn down anything because it could be the best opportunity you ever get.

In regards to the best time to travel/contact, I'm fairly sure all the guys up northern aus start contacting people around Dec/Jan so don't leave it too late. Even if you just make contact with the chief pilot first get a CV out by email and then make a plan as to when is a good time for you to visit them.

Good luck with the search mate and will see you out in the skies in no time. Stay safe

HELO1 out
HELO1
unusual_attitude

Postby unusual_attitude » Wed Sep 27 2017, 07:04

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm limited in how much I can visit but all comments have been taken onboard and I hope one day I can check back in to say I've finally found a paid job.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Wed Sep 27 2017, 09:34

Don't drive. Heaps of other people have, and are doing it and there is nothing for newly licensed pilots. They either want 400+ hrs or cattle experience. They get so many people calling in and are so dispondant. Your best option is If you trained with someone/company who knows someone that is your best option. Save your money. Get endorsements and work close to home. Some get lucky but it's not from driving and calling in one day and say hey I want a job.
Dem winds are gonna blow

Return to “General Employment Questions”