how many bell 47's still working

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Rotornut77

how many bell 47's still working

Postby Rotornut77 » Sun May 14 2017, 01:21

:? Hi everyone i was just wondering how many bell 47's there are still working around the country not as training machines just in other roles
I am currently completing my CPLH In this Machine and know there are not many opportunities out there to get a job flying this type and was wondering what the way forward might be
As i am unsuitable to fly any of the robbinson machines and as the robbinsons are the stepping stones for a move into turbine machines Iam unsure what my options are if i can get any advice from anyone that would be gratefully accepted thank you
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: how many bell 47's still working

Postby havick » Sun May 14 2017, 02:42

Where did you do your training?

Just do the last 20 hours of your training in a R44, problem solved.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Sun May 14 2017, 02:56

If you can't fly robbies then the H300 or even B206 jetranger would be your next step forward away from the 47
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Sun May 14 2017, 02:59

Not enough to leave your training with just a 47 endorsement. Might be time to start an aggressive diet and exercise regime if your weight is the reason you can't fly a Robbie.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun May 14 2017, 07:43

I think the answer is "none".
If this is not the current answer, it has been correct at times and is likely to be again.

I think quite some time ago, I read that there weren't even any B47s flying in NZ. (Might be memory/confusion associated with the Airforce there finally ditching them as primary trainers.)

If you can't fly an R44, you are in for a very difficult career path, one that many find impossible without any obvious impediments.

I got my licence in a B47 (but first job in an R22).
They are the Tiger Moth of rotory aviation. Private use, training (apparently) or Vintage joy flights probably covers the current use.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Sun May 14 2017, 23:28

I saw a 47 flying around Sydney yesterday, very slowly...

Rotornut, why are you "unsuitable" to fly in a Robbie ? And more suitable for a 47 ?

Rotors99 is unsuitable to fly in Robbies, but that's his choice !
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon May 15 2017, 04:32

"Very slowly"

I've ferried them around the wide brown land. Anyone who has done this knows the disappointment involved with being left behind by traffic on the highway.

My favorite had a C18 turbine in it.

1947 was a long time ago.
Helicopterboy1

Postby Helicopterboy1 » Mon May 15 2017, 13:21

I learnt in r22, started spraying in r44. Then a new job landed me in a solo 47. After a quick 47 type rating, off I went. What a different beast. Really got to fly those 47s. Great machine to spray in but the ferry sucked.
With the new casa 61 rule not needing a type rating it should make things easier in new machines. But, get experience early, as you never know when a job may present, requirering a different rating that you have.
Pat

Postby Pat » Wed May 17 2017, 11:31

I'm aware of six Bell 47s in the Adelaide region. A couple are used for spraying (at least one at Calvin Grove), Helivista use one for scenics and general charter, Helistar (Parafield) use one for training/charter, I know of one used for mustering in the mid north and another for private use.

If you can fly a 47, almost everything else will be easy to transition onto. It's only a small jump to the Bell 206 (except in price), so it's worth considering.
Rotornut77

Postby Rotornut77 » Sun May 28 2017, 08:53

thank you to everyone that replied to my post i am quite tall and the room in an r44 makes it very uncomfortable to fly even at my best weight i nearly exceed the seat weight so its really not an option anyway thats just tuff luck for us tall guys i guess the manufacturers should think of making an aircraft to fit us tall blokes and have seats that adjust to fit the smaller pilots instead of starting small :P :P anyway thanks at least i have something to work with so i can make an informed decision which way to move forward all the info i get is that you can't get in a turbine machine unless you have extensive hours then i am back to the start of the post and who is going to give a new a job in a jetty thanks again guys any more suggestions gratefully received :cool_dc:
Rotornut77

Postby Rotornut77 » Sat Jun 10 2017, 22:39

Hi again fellow slappers :lol: I have to correct myself, I just found out recently that the seat weight in an R44 is more than an R22. I was working on an R22 seat weight of 107 kgs, thats why i said i could not fit in an R44. As at 16 years old i was 6ft 4inches and 107 kgs but now i am a bit heavier but the room for a tall pilot would still be an issue. I think I will have to have a sit in one to find out. Does anyone know the precise weight of the seat for the R44, and if its realistic to expect to fly one at 125 kgs for fuel and loading ect (c:_ol
Rotornut77

Postby Rotornut77 » Sat Jun 10 2017, 22:56

Good morning fellow slappers again he he he, that never gets old. I just had a thought and yes it did hurt, I was thinking that as i am almost finished my training and some people don't like the speed of the old 47 that i might as well put myself out there and offer anyone that needs a 47 moved around that i am willing to ferry any airworthy one around free of charge i will cover my costs of getting to the aircraft and accomodation along the way just to get some more hours up and enjoy the leisurely pace and the views along the way just get in contact with me by private message and as soon as i find the message i will get back to you thank you all (c:_ol
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Jun 11 2017, 00:59

Hi mate I just sent you a PM but I'm not sure it sent, let me know if you got it.

Cheers!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Jun 11 2017, 01:11

You need to have three posts approved before PMs work. Having this step was an unfortunate requirement to minimise spam constantly hitting the site which in turn took long periods of time to delete.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Jun 11 2017, 01:34

I see.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Jun 11 2017, 01:35

Thank you.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Jun 11 2017, 02:22

Rotornut, I'm 6ft 4 @ 90kg and have no issues with comfort in a 44. My advice to you is focus your time and hard earned money towards building 44 time but by all means if you get an opportunity to fly the 47 take it.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Jun 11 2017, 08:47

FFS?! NEVER WORK FOR FREE, DON'T DEVALUE YOURSELF OR YOUR PEERS. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE!
Hircher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hircher » Thu Jun 15 2017, 23:51

I agree with ET but that opens the age old debate that when you hold out for your morals and the betterment of the industry some low hour pilot comes along and "hangar rats" until they get the flights unpaid. I have seen this happen a few times over the last 4year's and they MoveOn or stuff up pretty quick leaving a mess for the rest of us.
Good luck and stuck to your principles.
Rotornut77

Postby Rotornut77 » Sat Jun 17 2017, 10:12

hello everyone thanks for all the advice and thanks pichpull i got the message thats great news about the 44 might check out that cadet in townsville for an endorsement soon cheers

Return to “General Employment Questions”