PolAir NSW

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Iknowboats
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

PolAir NSW

Postby Iknowboats » Tue Dec 6 2016, 08:43

I see these guys are advertising at the moment. Any PolAir drivers out there that could share some info about the job - working conditions, flying, rosters etc etc?

Cheers,

Boats
Freewheeling
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: PolAir NSW

Postby Freewheeling » Tue Dec 6 2016, 09:23

Where is it advertised?
Iknowboats
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Iknowboats » Tue Dec 6 2016, 09:35

Check out their FB page
Freewheeling
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Freewheeling » Tue Dec 6 2016, 09:55

Thanks for the reply. I found it on Seek.
Good luck.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Dec 6 2016, 20:20

There is always an option.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Mar 10 2017, 09:11

Got my 'Dear John' today. Hope you boys faired better.
integrity
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby integrity » Sat Mar 11 2017, 07:26

Gotta' love those HR depts...

although I well and truly exceeded all minimums, I pointed out in my cover letter that all of my night experience was completed under the privileges of an IR, however, did not actually hold a NVFR (IR trumps NVFR!).

Phoned up, and asked for feed back on my application... sure enough; " you didn't proceed to the next level because you didn't hold a NVFR". I Considered my reply...., I considered public servants...., I considered HR dept's, and then chose the logical path..., I just hung up!

It's way too hard out there sometimes...
Where there is no vision - the people shall perish.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Mar 11 2017, 08:54

Pretty disappointing Integrity. You're not alone though.

I heard of a HR department for a major player knocking back a recommended applicant with a lot of great qualifications including a MECIR with several renewals. When asked why the person was not interviewed the reply came back "they didn't mention having an IREX on their application!"

What hope do you have when dealing with level of ignorance?
Rocket Surgeon
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rocket Surgeon » Sat Mar 11 2017, 08:55

You do, however, need a NVFR rating in order to get an NVIS rating.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Mar 11 2017, 11:08

Im sorry to hear that Integrity, mate thats just crap in one word.

I totally agree, your privileges in holding an current IR will trump the NVFR card, and I'm sure you've got the experience to back it up.

I agree with Rocket on a technicality, which I doubt the HR boffins would even know about and that is, if you aren't current IF your NVFR privileges lapse.... but if you'd have done an NVFR rating its in perpetuity but as long as your current, you can then exercise your privileges of the rating!......so go figure :shock:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
SKIDBITA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SKIDBITA » Sat Mar 11 2017, 11:47

Jobs are gone. Interviews were in Feb.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Mar 11 2017, 12:26

integrity wrote:Gotta' love those HR depts...

although I well and truly exceeded all minimums, I pointed out in my cover letter that all of my night experience was completed under the privileges of an IR, however, did not actually hold a NVFR (IR trumps NVFR!).

Phoned up, and asked for feed back on my application... sure enough; " you didn't proceed to the next level because you didn't hold a NVFR". I Considered my reply...., I considered public servants...., I considered HR dept's, and then chose the logical path..., I just hung up!

It's way too hard out there sometimes...

Unless the regs have changed again you still need a NVFR to get an NVIS rating even if you hold an IPC.

They probably had other applicants that ticked all the boxes and didn't require a NVFR test prior to being able to do an NVIS course for you.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Sat Mar 11 2017, 13:37

HR..can often be a small world in a big environment.

HR can be looking at a variety of employment opportunities. That's their job. They do not, however, have all the skill set to understand every role they have to to employ. That's the hiring manager's job. In the case of pilots, probably the Chief Pilot has the say of what's needed. So, the CP says NVFR.....why would the HR person say, oh I know, an IR trumps that's unless..blah, blah, blah. It would be the engineering dept. asking for a LAME, again the HR only goes on the paperwork from the hiring manager. The same HR person, might well have just employed a CEO without having knowing the details of an MBA?

Food for thought, with your next altercation with HR. And no hidden agenda my end. Remember pilots are just a role for HR not a reason for being. Just keeping it real.
SKIDBITA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SKIDBITA » Sat Mar 11 2017, 22:47

They are not operationally flying IFR or NVG yet so NVFR is mandatory......
That may be why you were bypassed...
bigboynasty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigboynasty » Sun Mar 12 2017, 06:10

There is a huge difference to flying IFR at night and flying NVFR. Regardless of how much IFR time you may have you still need solid experience flying VFR at night before you go onto NGV.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Mon Mar 13 2017, 08:01

Rocket Surgeon wrote:You do, however, need a NVFR rating in order to get an NVIS rating.

Polair NSW don't have ANVIS or operate IFR (Although I believe that is the intention in the not too distant future).

As someone else mentioned, to operate NVFR is not operating IFR, there is a difference (I had this battle with my CP when I had to go get a NVFR rating when already holding an IFR rating).

For future reference for those applying to such jobs. Cover all bases when applying; state that you are happy to pay for a NVFR is successful candidate. Put IREX on your CV even if you hold a ME-CIR, make it "stupid-proof", remember with a lot of these larger organisations requiring higher qualifications that it will usually go through HR.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...

Return to “General Employment Questions”