Airlaw exam - Advice welcome!

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Airlaw exam - Advice welcome!

Postby SpecialGray » Sat Nov 22 2014, 09:29

Hi Slappers,

I've been working my way though the exams for my CPL(H) and have finally gotten to the last one on my list. Airlaw.. oh joy of joys..

I used the AFT notes for all the others, having bought each set as I needed them. I have already bought the AFT notes for the Law exam, however, I'm trying to save a few $$$ on all the other guff I may need to go with them. I'd really appreciate people's input to the questions below, ESPECIALLY if you have recently sat the exam so are up to date with the format, paperwork marking rules (what you can highlight/mark/index etc).

1.I already have an up to date AIP with subscriptions, but I really don't want to fork out for the other books I may need for the exam. I have found and downloaded the latest PDFs from Airservices so I have CAA/CAAP/CAO/CASR/CAR and CAA documents (happy to share if anyone else wants them btw). I can probably borrow physical books for the exam itself from my school. Is is really worth buying books for the study as well? I've been told that post exam I'm unlikely to need my own personal set.

2. Does anyone have a recent set (must be up to date) for sale? - I'm in Melbourne.

3. Any other suggestions, notes, advice welcome.

Thanks all (c:_ol
While many enjoy activities where they challenge themselves to their physical limit, I prefer to do the same thing with my mind. That’s why I go on BladeSlapper, to be around other people who also enjoy being mentally challenged.
Bluey

Re: Airlaw exam - Advice welcome!

Postby Bluey » Sun Nov 23 2014, 07:33

I sat the Airlaw exam at the start of October and found that having a full set of books to study with saved time in the exam spent looking for the relevant paragraph/s for each question.
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Mon Nov 24 2014, 23:09

Thanks Bluey.
While many enjoy activities where they challenge themselves to their physical limit, I prefer to do the same thing with my mind. That’s why I go on BladeSlapper, to be around other people who also enjoy being mentally challenged.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 25 2014, 00:23

If you haven't already seen it, check out this link here.
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90043

This one will drill down into your tagging, etc questions.
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_102044

Good luck.

Law is not the hardest exam. It is the easiest, that's why it has a higher mark. It is open book.

Don't get psyched out by the exam!

It is a speed test. It is not a test of knowledge, it is a test of how quickly you can find the answer.
Read the question.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Tue Nov 25 2014, 06:16

When I did the exam it was way cheaper to print them at office works and put them in a binder.
Like you said, you won't update them anyway so no need for the original.
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Tue Nov 25 2014, 07:43

Just a heads up, the air law exam is now testing on part 61......looks like it will be a hard exam to pass, rather than the easier one
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Tue Nov 25 2014, 09:10

oei wrote:the air law exam is now testing on part 61

You're doomed... :roll:
chopperdavo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby chopperdavo » Wed Nov 26 2014, 10:44

For some changes/difference that have been made to the CPL law exam post part 61 Bob Tait has put the following together.

http://www.bobtait.com.au/files/pdf/sup ... AirLaw.pdf
Flying a Helicopter is living the dream....
torque

Postby torque » Sun Dec 21 2014, 08:42

Hi,

I sat the air law exam recently, passed with a good mark, and would love to offer a few tips:

1. Do as many practice questions as possible. The exam is not about memorising the answers, but rather about knowing where to find them. Make good use of the 10 tags you can have in your AIP. If you have a hold of your own copies, highlight the sides of important pages in CAO/ CAR books, and also highlight important paragraphs of some key information you find repeatedly gets asked on practice tests.

2. Know roughly the 'sections' of the publications. For instance, if you get asked a question about life jackets, you should be able to remember that you could find that information in CAO 20.11 (Emergencies and life saving equipment). Remembering the sections of the publications is simply a result of repetitive referencing which is done with drilling practice questions. It saves you a lot of time that would be spend sifting through CASA's crummy indexing system during the exam!

3. Don't get caught up with the fact it's an 80% pass mark- the only reason it's up that high is because it's all pretty straightforward.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do great (c:_ol
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Dec 22 2014, 01:36

Do yourself a favor when organizing your study. The exam only refers to certain sections of the CAR'S and CAO's and AIP.
Separate out only those sections that will be referenced in the Exam.
It will do two things. First it will be less intimidating to study since it only looks like half the "material" and secondly it will save time when "flipping" through to find stuff in the exam...
sometimes the available answers to a question seem identical with the same meaning. The correct answer will be exactly as it is written in the regs. Sometimes an answer will be exactly as its written in the regs but have an additional sentence or information... often it's the wrong answer.
Read the questions several times to know exactly what is being asked.
The Air Law exam is simply a test to see if you can look up information in the regs.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Mon Dec 22 2014, 03:31

What can happen when you don't read the question.
[youtube]VsHXIHxIllQ[/youtube]
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Tue Dec 23 2014, 02:26

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I've managed to get an updated copy of the training material from AFT as the one I bought a few months ago is of course now out of date (at least, as far as Part 61 is concerned).

Doesn't seem too hard so far, as others have said it appears to be more about memorising a few things, the ability to read the question correctly and select the most appropriate answer.

Fingers crossed...
ChrisNSW

Postby ChrisNSW » Sat Jan 17 2015, 20:43

SpecialGray wrote:Hi Slappers,

1.I already have an up to date AIP with subscriptions, but I really don't want to fork out for the other books I may need for the exam. I have found and downloaded the latest PDFs from Airservices so I have CAA/CAAP/CAO/CASR/CAR and CAA documents (happy to share if anyone else wants them btw).

Thanks all (c:_ol

Hi Special Gray.
can you share the link, would be mush appreciated
Cheers Chris
MatByrne
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MatByrne » Wed Jan 21 2015, 22:18

Hi Special Grey

Could you please PM with those copies too please?

Cheers
Mat
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Thu Jan 22 2015, 00:32

Hey Chris/Mat,

I'm uploading the newest version of the ZIP file now with all the documents I have. I've sorted them into two main folders (allowed in exam and not allowed, but useful for reference/further reading).

I also found a useful index that someone knocked up somewhere on the Bob Tait forums (apologies for not crediting them!) that I've put in there too. Of course, whilst we are allowed the books to look up the answers or clarify points, we aren't allowed an index in the actual exam.. :roll:

Give it an hour to upload fully.Naturally, I take no responsibility for out of date documents or other errors, but I'm pretty sure they are all the latest and current ones you'll need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q99gle7v07jcigt/Airlaw%20Library.zip?dl=0
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Jan 22 2015, 00:49

Slight thread creep, how long do exam passes last? e.g. I sat four ATPLs 2.5 years ago but didn't finish the other three as I went overseas....was that time wasted? I kind of remember reading that they only last two years from the time the first exam was passed, is that true?
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Thu Jan 22 2015, 01:09

Short answer: you have two years from the first exam (pass or fail) to complete and pass all seven subjects (CPL or ATPL). Once you have passed all seven subjects, the exams are valid indefinitely (for frozen ATPLs).

More here: http://www.casa.gov.au/Scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101435

Long answer:

Multi-subject part exams – ‘Window’ definition
An examination, consisting of a number of subject-parts, is referred to as an exam ‘bundle’. All subject-parts within the bundle must be passed within a prescribed period of time, referred to as a ‘window’ in order to gain a theory credit for a particular licence. The three main ‘bundles’ that must be passed within a ‘window’ are:

the seven subject-parts for the awarding of either a CPL or an ATPL theory credit;
a bundle of subject-parts when converting from an aeroplane to a helicopter category, or vice versa; and
a bundle of subject-parts for pilots converting a foreign licence to an Australian licence.
CASR Part 61.225 requires that a person passes all parts of an examination within a period of 2 years.

Candidates who completed ALL subject-parts prior to 1st September 2013 are not affected as they have already gained the full theory credit for that particular ‘bundle’ of subject-parts.

Candidates who have completed some subject-parts, but have not a full theory credit or a complete ‘bundle’ on 1 September 2014, will find that any subject-parts passed on or before 31 August 2012 will have expired, as the three-year window changes to a two-year rolling window on 1 September 2014.

Candidates commencing a ‘bundle’ of subject-parts on or after 1st September 2014 should plan their studies and exams so that all subject-parts are completed within two years of their first pass.

If at the end of two years, a candidate has not passed all subjects within their bundle, then the status of a pass achieved two years prior to their latest pass will change to an EXPIRED PASS and must be passed again.

Once a full theory credit has been awarded for a completed ‘bundle’ of subject-parts completed within a window, then that credit is perpetual. Candidates should take particular care checking the dates of exams when applying for a licence or rating to ensure that all subject-parts required have been passed within one ‘window’ (3 years if the ‘bundle’ was completed prior to 01/09/2014 or 2 years if completed on or after 01/09/2014).
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Jan 22 2015, 04:22

Thanks comrade, I thought as much.... :(
MatByrne
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MatByrne » Fri Jan 23 2015, 23:37

Hi Special Gray,
Thanks for all that info mate.
How did your exam go?
Is all the material you posted what you took into the exam or did you still need to take some folders from the school?
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpecialGray » Sat Jan 24 2015, 07:35

I've not booked it yet! Just doing the practice exams now. I've got an up to date AIP, a slightly out of date ERSA, a self printed copy of P61 and I'll borrow the rest from the school. I'll let you guys know once I've taken the exam what I thought and pass on any points that might be useful if I can :D

Return to “Flight Training”