Student Pilot Flights

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Student Pilot Flights

Postby CYHeli » Thu Sep 25 2014, 05:57

Now that we are three weeks into the new Part 61 rules, I thought i might start a new thread that is aimed purely at the Student Pilots and their instructors.
Most of us are well and truly used to the 'old' way of doing things and I'm hoping that people are getting their head around the rules that are specific to student pilots. Most of the rules carry offence sections, but there are very few offences for student pilots, let's face it, they don't know any better. Unfortunately, the offence are committed by the instructor and hence the reason for us to understand the new rules.

So some summary points and I would love others to jump in. To fly solo, a Student Pilot must
a. Hold an ARN,
b. be at least 15 years old,
c. been assessed as meeting the general English language proficiency by the CFI,
d. carries with him/her a current and valid medical certificate, or exemption,
e. have satisfied the requirements of the helicopter syllabus that are relevant to the proposed flight,
f. satisfy the radio requirements,
g. be able to fly the helicopter safely as pilot in command,
h. has not and will not during the course of the proposed flight exceed 3 hours as a pilot in command without having received dual instruction in that category of aircraft,
i. conducted a dual flight within the previous 14 days, (the old rule of 30/90 days has gone!)
j. a student must not fly a pilot in command on any flight for which a flight crew rating is required,
k. the aircraft must be of a type in which the student pilot has received flying training,
l. Where a student pilot wishes to fly a different aircraft type, he/she must meet the requirements above prior to solo on the new aircraft type.
m. if the aircraft if being flown for the purposes of cross-country training – along a route specified by the instructor, unless a deviation is required for safety reasons,
n. For the issue of a Part 61 licence, if the aircraft if being flown for the purposes of cross-country training for the first time – the student has completed at least two hours of dual instrument time,
o. For the issue of a CAR 5 licence, the student has completed at least 2 hours as the Pilot in Command in the traffic pattern, prior to conducting a solo flight in the training area.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “Flight Training”