Throwing an idea out for new pilots for USA training

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Throwing an idea out for new pilots for USA training

Postby AHIA » Wed Jul 30 2014, 22:39

More cost increases - TBA

Your AHIA is battling to stop CASR 61 being implemented until we get a handle of what the changes will cost.

And of course - why?

Follow our threads in this topic as we are striving to "cost all the options" with help from other Bladeslappers. Under the new rules there is going to be higher training costs - which makes our trainers less popular when the US options are being evaluated.

But for some reason most of our 30 or so schools seem to be unconcerned - only 8 of 30 are AHAI members. We need members to push harder against the EASA changes - or at least force the CASA people to rewrite out some items which are big on cost and small on safety (not safety related).

Even Blind Neddy and Ossie Ostrich can sense we are being strangled by unworkable red tape. The only people licking their lips about our situation as receivers, lawyers, printers and bookcase sellers for all the new EASA compliant manuals. CASR 61 runs to over 1,200 pages overall.

PS: Forgot the removalists - predictions are that at least 30% of our schools will not survive the three year transition.

Go to http://www.austhia.com and grab an application form.

AHIA
aussiecop
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby aussiecop » Thu Jul 31 2014, 14:37

AHIA,

So glad you guys are around for the guys back home. Being an expat here in the US, HAI has some real clout with the FAA and government and is sought out before legislation is passed that affect the rotorcraft industry (well most of the time, see the big stink about UAV/drones, they dropped the ball on that). I hope that CASA starts to view AHIA as the same kind of entity eventually instead of their lone wolf approach as they have now in my opinion. Keep up the good work. We have a couple of sayings here for the FAA that probably applies pretty well to CASA "We're from the government, we're here to help" and my favourite "Welcome to the FAA, where we're not happy until you're not happy"
Bite_me
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bite_me » Thu Jul 31 2014, 22:23

AHIA MEMBERSHIP:
I’ll bite and take up the issue of why the vast majority of flying schools have not joined AHIA…..value for money! Plain and simple really….membership for schools is far too expensive especially when the AHIA do not have any runs on the board or significant achievements that can be claimed to be entirely of their making. For some reason, everybody just assumes that flying schools have an abundance of cash to just flout around; generally it just isn’t the case! Sorry, but that’s the cold hard facts of the matter!
The issue with foreign organisations sucking the very lifeblood out of our industry has been around for years and has been tackled with the regulator on numerous occasions and on several fronts – all falling on deaf ears! Our industry now suffers this lethargy on behalf of both industry and the regulator as we see a considerable portion of pilots having made the USA journey to their CPL sans a comprehensive theoretical knowledge. Under the new rules, this will continue and the Australian Industry will be far worse off than ever before. You will not convince the Regulator otherwise as they are not interested in either a level playing field or the health and well-being of an Australian Industry. Bottom line is NOBODY on the inside is listening nor do they care.
I think your assumption that a rather large percentage of flying training organisations will expire after the transition period is pretty bloody correct. This point has been rammed home to the CASA time and time again with the same response as mentioned above as last sentence in last paragraph. The answer lies with the Minister and it would appear he is not that keen to step in and rattle the cages. I think we have left but 1 chance and that is with Senator Nick X. Good Luck!
CaptSpry
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CaptSpry » Fri Aug 1 2014, 10:01

Bite-me,

I agree you have the right to be rather sad. But if some of the industry gather to attempt action to stop the possible down hill slide and funnel their efforts through a representative body; then do you walk away? Just say they went that extra step and with a bit of good luck are able to sail us away from the rocks. What would you say?

Return to “Flight Training”