When to start?

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
frisbee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

When to start?

Postby frisbee » Fri Jun 6 2014, 08:20

G'day all,
In keeping theme with a few of the training related topics that have come up on here in the last week or two, I have another question for anyone who knows - Given the Sep 1, 2014 start date of the new Part 61 regs, is right now still a good time to start training?

I understand that there will be a 3 (or 4, depending where you read) year transition period before Part 61, 141 and 142 all come into full permanent effect, however once Sep 1 rolls around, any new students will theoretically have an option of starting either on the old (current) system, the new Part 141 compliant (150 hour with separate theory) or Part 142 compliant (100 hour with integrated theory). With the exception of the new licenses being ICAO compliant, is there any benefits to waiting until after Sep 1 and doing a 142 compliant course? Will any schools even be capable of offering this 'integrated' course in the near future?

The reason I ask is that i'm pretty keen to start the theory and exams very soon with the intention of getting most of it out the way before I start any actual flying, but don't want to get caught having to to 150 hours on a Part 141 course, so would either start on the old (current) system now or wait until later in the year if it was going to be worth going to a Part 142 compliant school and completing the entire course in one go.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood anything here regarding the new regs, and I apologise for the long post! pop;

Cheers.
QMB
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: When to start?

Postby QMB » Fri Jun 6 2014, 10:34

Call/visit several schools and talk face to face to a instructor/person. Where abouts are you looking?
Disco88

Postby Disco88 » Fri Jun 6 2014, 11:08

If you're unsure and can't see a way around doing 150 hrs, I suggest heading over the ditch to do your licence like I did. Exchange rate isn't quite what it was when I did it, but you still get a bit more bang for your buck and you'll get rated for sling and mountain flying. You might even get to fly around the mighty southern alps if you go with a quality outfit like Wanaka Helicopters as an example ;-)
When you head back over, the trans-Tasman agreement sorts you out with an oz licence and you're good to go.
frisbee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby frisbee » Fri Jun 6 2014, 21:33

Yeah, that was the plan QMB, but I thought I'd just throw the question out here first and see what ideas anyone had. I currently live north of Melbourne (about an hour and a half from Moorabbin) but will probably have the opportunity to move to Queensland when it comes time to fly, so most of the schools up there would be an option too.

I hadn't actually given that a thought until now Disco, but learning to fly in the beautiful NZ countryside would certainly be something worth looking into! What sort of opportunities for part time work (not necessarily helicopter-related) to cover some living expenses are available in that area these days? Cheers.
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Mon Jun 9 2014, 22:40

Quick note: As I understand it - After Sep 01 if the school has not transitioned (still Part 5) then they can only offer the current 105 or 125hr course. Essentially nothing will change until they have a CASA AoC change within 3 years. Many schools will transition to Part 141 (150 hour) with little or no change to their Ops Manual - but it'll take longer for the few who will change over to Part 142 (100 hour integrated).

So don't feel pressured, rushed or pushed into anything if you're not ready yet ...

Frog
headsy84
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby headsy84 » Mon Jun 16 2014, 07:53

Good afternoon
Has anyone got any reviews or views on bluetongue helicopters as thinking of heading there to start theory as I'm having a hard time doing it online.
Also what is the average time frame to complete it.
Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”