Crewman claiming pilot training as work related expense.

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Crewman claiming pilot training as work related expense.

Postby ozloadie » Thu May 28 2015, 08:10

Air crewmen can claim for any training that is an approved course that enhances his knowledge and /or skills with their profession.

A pilot could also claim for a crewman's course if he wanted to become non pilot aircrew qualified with the hook, hoist and or rappel/fast rope RADS and role equipment.

There are distinct differences in the course content and skills applications from the different crew stations as operators.

This is why it is a good opportunity to see and experience the difference in aspects to try the other crew station to become aware of what is the best terminology to use, what is the relevant view to describe, and when.

Every crew station has a distinct aspect in the same location at any time, the talent is being able to illustrate your view to illustrate and confirm the peripheral vision of the others.

I was employed as a Loadmaster in the Army and claimed a NVMC course and the R22 Safety Course and it was accepted by the ATO.

My reasoning was that the enhanced skills and knowledge allowed me to assist and reduce the aircraft captains workload as an authorised crew member in navigation, flight planning and SAR role assessment, which was part of our crew duties anyway.
At the time I had a UPPL and endorsements, not employment based.

You can claim for anything on tax.
And you may get the claim approved.
But you don't get into trouble until you spend the return knowing it wasn't legitimate.
The acid test is you knowing, not the claim itself.
"The corporate side is always the ugly side."
Keep it flying, don't quit!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Jun 1 2015, 05:11

Some interesting links for the ATO website for private rulings where the deduction has been approved and also denied.

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi ... /43003.htm

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi ... 361430.htm

https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi ... 546514.htm
Overtorqued Nut

Postby Overtorqued Nut » Sun Jun 7 2015, 10:26

Slight thread creep but could you therefore claim a CPL(A) as a tax deduction if you hold a CPL(H) or vice versa??
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Jun 7 2015, 11:08

I claimed my training, applied for a private ruling.
I got the refund, then a desk audit 2 years later and got a letter of demand for $8,500 and one month to pay or fines added on top!
See my link on the previous page.
You cannot claim if it is for a different job.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “Flight Training”